• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best vacuum cleaner at around £300 or less?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    How about a self-driving one, can people recommed or advise against them?
    There doesn't seem to be that much innovation in that space actually - - there's a new Roomba coming up, but it will be only marginally better and way more expensive so don't see the point tbh...
    Is that the same as having the butler push it round? If so I'd highly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    How about a self-driving one, can people recommed or advise against them?
    There doesn't seem to be that much innovation in that space actually - - there's a new Roomba coming up, but it will be only marginally better and way more expensive so don't see the point tbh...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    You don't see them driving Audi, BMW etc. for work either, that doesn't mean their white van/truck is better for your needs. There is a tool for every job.

Sure, and there are lots of tools driving BMWs.

A suction cleaner is normally bought by people who want it to suck up dirt. Not to make a person statement about how wealthy they are, nor how fast it goes from 0-60. A suction cleaner which does a good job at sucking up dirt and is reliable will thus be popular with people who need to suck up a lot of dirt and don't want it to break.
    So, if your requirement in a cleaner is to suck up dirt and be reliable, then buy a Henry (made in Chard).

If your requirement is to be the envy of your neighbours as you let them all know you have the money to buy an expensive, but less reliable cleaner then go for it. The "best cleaner to impress others" is not a Henry.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You don't see them driving Audi, BMW etc. for work either, that doesn't mean their white van/truck is better for your needs. There is a tool for every job.

Dyson is at least British engineering, no idea where they are made these days
    Dyson are manufactured in the Far East now they are only designed in the UK.

Henry, Charles, George, Hetty et al are Numatics. They are designed and manufactured in the UK on the SW coast. They do have plants in Germany and elsewhere in the world.

Miele is German, which is usually better quality than British, misplaced patriotism aside.
    So are you saying Brompton Bikes are tulip? And Rolls Royce cars are tulip? In fact the Japanese and some consumers from other nations even look for mass produced cars manufactured in the UK as they are better quality.

The British are as good as Germans in manufacturing products for niche markets.

And yes these vacuum cleaners are for niche markets as otherwise you would all be buying Panasonics or Argos value brand.

BTW just buy the product that claims to support your lifestyle so if it doesn't work as expected you have some come back.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    My Miele must be 20 years old now and still sucks like a Thai ladyboy.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Henry.

You never see a builder /painter/chimney sweep/etc with a Dyson or Miele.

...and you could have 3 of them for £300.

...and they are British made.

Dyson is at least British engineering, no idea where they are made these days
    Miele is German, which is usually better quality than British, misplaced patriotism aside.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Henry.

You never see a builder /painter/chimney sweep/etc with a Dyson or Miele.

...and you could have 3 of them for £300.

...and they are British made.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    On that note, we bought the Dyson DC75, the latest one that doesn't have the need for filters. So far so good, yes it's a beast and heavy and clunky but it is very powerful and that's what I was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    We've had a few Dyson cleaners and I will never waste my money on them again. They break down far too quickly for the money you pay.
    They have 5 year warranty...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    we have a miele, it's small and works well.

Despite having a cleaner the wife wants one of these rechargeable dyson things which look like they couldn't lift a Malteser. The only reason I can gather is that her friends have them.
    We are exactly the same with a cleaner but we've ended up with two handhelds. The older yellow one and the newer one with the long 'wand' to do the floors and the like... Even I have to say they are the dogs danglies! We have a mix of stone floor and carpet and just a quick vac up every day it's perfect. Don't be put of by the size. It sucks like NLadyUK with a £50 note on the table.

My other half is the type that insists on a quick vac around the kitchen after every meal so it takes 30 secs with the hand held and she is happy as anything.

It's worth it even if it's just to keep SWMBO happy but don't... for gods sake... buy it for birthday or xmas...

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Our main vacuum is a Sebo. It's very good indeed. It does have bags though, which doesn't bother me but some might not like it.

We also have Henry and Charles variants for other cleaning.

We've had a few Dyson cleaners and I will never waste my money on them again. They break down far too quickly for the money you pay.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    we have a miele, it's small and works well.

Despite having a cleaner the wife wants one of these rechargeable dyson things which look like they couldn't lift a Malteser. The only reason I can gather is that her friends have them.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Miele

pretty good.

Henry

better.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    On a slightly related note I ordered the Dyson V6 Fluffy from Alternate (German website) for £264 including delivery which is about £100 cheaper than the UK (r)etailers, most likely will be with Euro plug, nothing that a £1 adapter can't solve, wonder if there will be anything else a miss

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I have a Dyson DC-45, one of the Slimline ones, great with kids as it comes out for 5 mins does its job and then goes back on charge, I think I now vacuum with better results with these 5-10 min bursts than if I do the whole house once a week
    Yeah I got a DC44 animal.

It's excellent as it is so easy to use just for 5/10 mins then put back

As it is cordless can also use it to do the car

you have to clean the roller pretty regular mind you (not a major hassle) and also the dust box is pretty small.

But so much quicker and easier to use for hall/stairs/landing than a traditional upright corded cleaner

Leave a comment:

Working...
X