• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to choose a best antivirus for my pc?"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Defender is great. And can be used as a centrally managed solution with the correct MS licensing.
    It also has Application Guard (that appears to be part of Edge but is a Defender product). It uses a Hyper-V container to run the Edge browser in so that it's sandboxed. useful for any higher risk web surfing.

Enable hardware-based isolation for Microsoft Edge (Windows) - Windows security | Microsoft Docs

I believe it's not available for Windoze 10 Home. But is for Windows 11.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I leave most of it to MS Essentials, but I bought a Malwarebytes licence years ago so have that on the PCs as well. A bit belt and braces, but it's pretty much invisible and is very good at closing off "interesting" websites (most of which spawn off other rather more legitimate ones). Stopped using Avast when it was both taking up a lot of resources (mostly disk traffic) and still letting (admittedly minor) stuff through.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

You don't need an AV on a computer in this day and age, windows defender is more than good enough.
    +1 - Haven't installed a 3rd party AV solution on any PC I look after domestically in a long long time

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

It's a VM - so it won't be interacting for many users.

Knowing what Simon is doing though he's doing a pile of things in a very different way to how I do things but hey that's his decision and I don't have time to explain why my structure is very different.
    I wasn't implying you click on pictures of jiggly boobs, it was an extension of your reply to Simon to remind him that those tempting pictures can get him into trouble in more ways than one

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

+1 for this

Make sure your router is correctly set up to not allow random traffic in (I used to do IP sniffing back in the day for giggles and the number of companies who had completely open networks was shocking) and don't click that tempting picture of jiggly boobs and you should be fine.
    It's a VM - so it won't be interacting for many users.

Knowing what Simon is doing though he's doing a pile of things in a very different way to how I do things but hey that's his decision and I don't have time to explain why my structure is very different.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

You don't need an AV on a computer in this day and age, windows defender is more than good enough.
    +1 for this

Make sure your router is correctly set up to not allow random traffic in (I used to do IP sniffing back in the day for giggles and the number of companies who had completely open networks was shocking) and don't click that tempting picture of jiggly boobs and you should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Is AVAST still the go to AV for Windows?

Moved my virtual machine to new hardware and all of a sudden its running dog slow and Avast seems to be the cause

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Is AVAST still the go to AV for Windows?

Moved my virtual machine to new hardware and all of a sudden its running dog slow and Avast seems to be the cause

Leave a comment:

• smatty
    replied
    Or maybe the crown princess latifa 3rd is using your PC to spam the rest of us, how would you know if you don't ever check it.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    I have not used an antivirus software in 10 yrs.

Maybe I am boring and don't visit dodgy websites.

I use a Mac ....... and also use Virtual machine for my downloads

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    So does anybody other than me still use AVG?

Leave a comment:

• richer
    replied
    I recommend you the Avast for the free antivirus, and the kaspersky for the paid antivirus.

Leave a comment:

• smatty
    replied
    I tried AVG but the free one doesn't have web protection, ended up with Avast. Got it on mac & phone now too. Worth having as it busted Vuze trying to install some spyware bar on the mac.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    So does anybody other than me still use AVG?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Sophos is free for the Mac too.
    That one managed to fill my system disk.

I think it found some rather large tar.gz files and tried to expand them.

Oops

Leave a comment:

Working...
X