• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC rejected settlement"

Collapse

• Banter
    replied
    Offer to settle letter

Hi there, I'm also affected by the "no mercy" from HMRC re the submission date - mainly because I thought I was awaiting an updated offer letter. Until I got an email on Oct 4th saying I had to now proceed with the loan charge.

Problem is, my offer to settle letter did not include any previously paid APNs - I was on the assumption that they would give me the true state of what was owing and I would sign off accordingly.

I enquired about it back in early August, and they told me it would be in the offer letter. But apparently this is AFTER one signs? So I don't understand why I am signing something that is not reflective of what I actually owe now...?

Is that their process? It doesn't sound right to me.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by TakenAlongForaRide View Post
    Utter joke indeed. I called HMRC. after they wrote to me in oct 2019 saying my settlement which I had previously signed and sent back with appendixes was on hold until further notice after the loan charge review. A year went by and I still had no further notice.

I'm no longer a UK resident, been living abroad since 2014. They said they sent a follow letter earlier in the year to me but it was returned as it failed to be delivered (whatever that means - my address did not change). They never followed up with another attempt or email me. I have authorized email as a valid form of communication with me which they have used in the past. I now have to declare the loans and submit a tax return (something I dont do anymore now I'm a non UK resident with no uk income)

I have filed a complaint as this is crazy, they failed in their initial comms and gave up and they dont see my initial signed settlement offer as an acceptance as they have to formally accept it. Now i'm stuck, i have no idea what i have to do next, i've reached out to WTT for help. This nightmare will not end, esp when you include Felicitas trying weasel in and claim loans back.

Webberg, any thoughts?
    You do know Webberg and WTT are one of the same ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• TakenAlongForaRide
    replied
    Utter joke indeed

Utter joke indeed. I called HMRC. after they wrote to me in oct 2019 saying my settlement which I had previously signed and sent back with appendixes was on hold until further notice after the loan charge review. A year went by and I still had no further notice.

I'm no longer a UK resident, been living abroad since 2014. They said they sent a follow letter earlier in the year to me but it was returned as it failed to be delivered (whatever that means - my address did not change). They never followed up with another attempt or email me. I have authorized email as a valid form of communication with me which they have used in the past. I now have to declare the loans and submit a tax return (something I dont do anymore now I'm a non UK resident with no uk income)

I have filed a complaint as this is crazy, they failed in their initial comms and gave up and they dont see my initial signed settlement offer as an acceptance as they have to formally accept it. Now i'm stuck, i have no idea what i have to do next, i've reached out to WTT for help. This nightmare will not end, esp when you include Felicitas trying weasel in and claim loans back.

Webberg, any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
    this is rubbish and I agree with your sentiment, for example after reading this thread with no access to a printer i called HMRC to check they received my email notification saying i accepted their offer to settle. To be fair to the person i spoke to they said, "oops looks like you have been sent a rejection of settlement letter so ignore". Accepted that some settlement rejections notifications were sent before most peoples stated deadline. This is just not right or good enough and people with sway or input need to ask HMRC to go a little easier on people who have agreed to settlement. Those that challenge fair enough as they have advirsors guiding them. Those that are settling are for most signing up for a good few years of pain misery and a second mortgage. .

utter joke. this in not a process. This is something that will change people lives for many years. I am glad i spoke to who i did at HMRC as they were incredible sympathetic to my plight. Something that should be consistent for everyone settling

Leave a comment:

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Just think about it?

The template letter saying "you've not settled, disclose/pay the loan charge" has been ready for weeks.

All HMRC had to do was remove those who had settled and the rest were were just blitzed away.

No conspiracy, just efficient admin.

I only wish the same efficiency could have been applied to settlement - but it wasn't and that fight continues.
    this is rubbish and I agree with your sentiment, for example after reading this thread with no access to a printer i called HMRC to check they received my email notification saying i accepted their offer to settle. To be fair to the person i spoke to they said, "oops looks like you have been sent a rejection of settlement letter so ignore". Accepted that some settlement rejections notifications were sent before most peoples stated deadline. This is just not right or good enough and people with sway or input need to ask HMRC to go a little easier on people who have agreed to settlement. Those that challenge fair enough as they have advirsors guiding them. Those that are settling are for most signing up for a good few years of pain misery and a second mortgage.
    Last edited by lowpaidworker; 8 October 2020, 13:43.

Leave a comment:

• DanJackiels
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Just think about it?

The template letter saying "you've not settled, disclose/pay the loan charge" has been ready for weeks.

All HMRC had to do was remove those who had settled and the rest were were just blitzed away.

I only wish the same efficiency could have been applied to settlement - but it wasn't and that fight continues.
    yes - agreed, that was my point....you've managed to capture better. no conspiracy theory....just effieciency that suits them.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Just think about it?

Leave a comment:

• DanJackiels
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor1981 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. In the same boat and been repeatedly advised to add the loan amounts to 2019 tax return and contact HMRC for a payment plan. Not sure why they are so arsed about people trying to settle with them
    the frustrating thing for me, is that they said in letter, thanks for emails dated 29th/30th etc...but you've missed the deadline. and a letter, posted arrives within a week. it's almost like they decided there is a certain amount we can settle...and the rest...ignore and send a templated letter saying we can't offer 2017 terms anymore.

Leave a comment:

• contractor1981
    replied
    Originally posted by DanJackiels View Post
    got the dreaded/expected " you missed the deadline" letter today. which is mightily impressive for HMRC considering it has taken weeks previously for a reply. Letter sent Aug 25th. Emails sent 29th/30th.
    ah well...will try and see if MP can help. after cobbling the money together to pay settlement, having to go back into this process again is some pain in the hole!
    and as of now, i've no idea what the monetary impact of not settling is as yet, great fun.
    Sorry to hear that. In the same boat and been repeatedly advised to add the loan amounts to 2019 tax return and contact HMRC for a payment plan. Not sure why they are so arsed about people trying to settle with them

Leave a comment:

• DanJackiels
    replied
    got the dreaded/expected " you missed the deadline" letter today. which is mightily impressive for HMRC considering it has taken weeks previously for a reply. Letter sent Aug 25th. Emails sent 29th/30th.
    ah well...will try and see if MP can help. after cobbling the money together to pay settlement, having to go back into this process again is some pain in the hole!
    and as of now, i've no idea what the monetary impact of not settling is as yet, great fun.

Leave a comment:

• contractor1981
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Did you send the settlement details to them via snail mail, too, including the Appendix page?

Nopes. All of the previous letters I signed and sent was via post. The difference is most of the packs are stapled and you just need to sign it and send the full stapled pack. Where it was I'm sure I just sent the settlement details without appendix in the past. But through post.

Leave a comment:

• contractor1981
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    They really are bastards who play by their own rules. Unless you are lucky, your MP will do diddly squat but the sooner you contact them, the better.

I think you should contact HMRC again and point out, you agreed to them sending by email when they in fact, would have been out of time if they had used the post. You acceeded to their request as a gesture of goodwill and intent. To now be told because the appendix was missing, you missed the cut off is beyond unreasonable.

Did they point out in their email that returning of the appendix was essential? You need to look for any minor discrepancy in their actions to support your claim.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, they have the cards stacked in their favour but I wish you good luck.

The mail that arrived didn't speak about attaching the appendix. The person who got consent to send the letter via email didn't mention anything about sending the appendix. The settlement letter in itself doesn't say return appendix. The only place it's mentioned is in the covering letter and they are using it against me.

Yes HMRC is creating its own rules. Law states settlement should be fully sorted before 30th September. They have decided that receipt of signed offer letter is suffice now. Which means loads of people are yet to see the final settlement pack. This is merely letter of offer.

Yes I'm going to call HMRC again and keep calling them. Hope they come out with a procedure to deal with people who had fallen through the cracks due to the last minute rush.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Did you send the settlement details to them via snail mail, too, including the Appendix page?

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Hi

Had quite a few stressful days. HMRC has rejected my signed letter of offer citing my scanned copy I sent didn't have the appendix attached to it.

Letter sent two days before deadline and they called me to confirm if it could be sent by email as the letter will not reach by post before deadline. I consented and after returning my signed letter through email now got feedback that due to.appendix page missing I lost the opportunity to settle. Bit harsh and as it all happened close to deadline nothing can be corrected. Been asked to declare loans in 2018/19 and cannot escalate the matter further.

Any suggestions.on how this can be sorted out? Planning to reach out to my MP to see if he can help. If appendix had a signature box it would have made me to send them too. But cannot believe that loan charge has ended this way for me.
    They really are bastards who play by their own rules. Unless you are lucky, your MP will do diddly squat but the sooner you contact them, the better.

I think you should contact HMRC again and point out, you agreed to them sending by email when they in fact, would have been out of time if they had used the post. You acceeded to their request as a gesture of goodwill and intent. To now be told because the appendix was missing, you missed the cut off is beyond unreasonable.

Did they point out in their email that returning of the appendix was essential? You need to look for any minor discrepancy in their actions to support your claim.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, they have the cards stacked in their favour but I wish you good luck.

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Hi

Had quite a few stressful days. HMRC has rejected my signed letter of offer citing my scanned copy I sent didn't have the appendix attached to it.

Letter sent two days before deadline and they called me to confirm if it could be sent by email as the letter will not reach by post before deadline. I consented and after returning my signed letter through email now got feedback that due to.appendix page missing I lost the opportunity to settle. Bit harsh and as it all happened close to deadline nothing can be corrected. Been asked to declare loans in 2018/19 and cannot escalate the matter further.

Any suggestions.on how this can be sorted out? Planning to reach out to my MP to see if he can help. If appendix had a signature box it would have made me to send them too. But cannot believe that loan charge has ended this way for me.
    Call them as soon as you can and let them know what has happened.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X