• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Mercedes should I buy?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    AMG seem to be bought on a whim by people that like top gear then driven rather timidly in the middle lane for the rest of their lives In a vain attempt to keep petrol/tyre costs down and the owners license in tact. Apart from my mate who is a goon, I don't think I ever saw one being driven the way AMG built them That's probably not a bad thing in this country.
    Oh, I don't know, my last car was an AMG and I used it heavily and then the engine blew up after 35,000km and had to be replaced. And then I really thrashed it :-)

Leave a comment:

• Hairy
    replied
    I'm considering the AWD version when it comes out later this year. It will be the wife's car. Our kids are both in their pre teens era so we can stop carrying tonnes of crap around.
    She likes eh idea of a GL but I don't want another fat ass car that does sub 20 MPG. Our discovery can do that already so there would be little point in the change.

IMO the 5.5 engine around 2007 was their heyday but frankly there is just too much power in them. A friend bought an E55 estate from MB in Czech it was a cast off from one of the senior managers at AMG. It was just ridiculous. When we went to see them he had just put his second set of rear tyres on and they had only had the car a few months. Christ knows how he coped in the winter months.

AMG seem to be bought on a whim by people that like top gear then driven rather timidly in the middle lane for the rest of their lives In a vain attempt to keep petrol/tyre costs down and the owners license in tact. Apart from my mate who is a goon, I don't think I ever saw one being driven the way AMG built them That's probably not a bad thing in this country.
    I am close to 50, and the juvenile fun of letting 500bhp through the rears still hasn't lost its allure. Trouble is, that I am never in the car alone, and the calls from the rear about telling mum get too loud on occasion...

I'll dig out a video from a quick scramble about in an SLR with a, iirc , 7 litre supercharged V8. That sounded like the end of the world, and was wild. Not my bag, but fun.

I've just P/ex'd my GL and bought a VW T5 4Motion Kombi as I need something a tad more practical. Just ordered a small lifting kit, as it wasn't as high up as I think we need. I've been thinking of telling the wife I'd like a bit of fun, in the form of a car, but I think that's a couple of years up the line.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Hairy View Post
    I don't think he thought them crap, but that the RS6 was quicker, all around. I think he'd actually love one, but couldn't justify one.

One lads dad at school has a new CLA, and it really does look nice, albeit a tad cramped in the back. I'd venture they weren't one for an expanding family!
    I'm considering the AWD version when it comes out later this year. It will be the wife's car. Our kids are both in their pre teens era so we can stop carrying tonnes of crap around.
    She likes eh idea of a GL but I don't want another fat ass car that does sub 20 MPG. Our discovery can do that already so there would be little point in the change.

IMO the 5.5 engine around 2007 was their heyday but frankly there is just too much power in them. A friend bought an E55 estate from MB in Czech it was a cast off from one of the senior managers at AMG. It was just ridiculous. When we went to see them he had just put his second set of rear tyres on and they had only had the car a few months. Christ knows how he coped in the winter months.

Leave a comment:

• Hairy
    replied
    I think his position was they are crap and a super tuned Audi RS6 would piss all over them... ( unfortunately he might have a point )

The new CLA looks really nice and the AMG version might even be drivable without a fuel tanker in tow...
    I don't think he thought them crap, but that the RS6 was quicker, all around. I think he'd actually love one, but couldn't justify one.

One lads dad at school has a new CLA, and it really does look nice, albeit a tad cramped in the back. I'd venture they weren't one for an expanding family!

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Can Mods please unban OldHack for a few hours to hear his views on Mercs?

tia
    I think his position was they are crap and a super tuned Audi RS6 would piss all over them... ( unfortunately he might have a point )

The new CLA looks really nice and the AMG version might even be drivable without a fuel tanker in tow...

Leave a comment:

• Hairy
    replied
    Want a new one or are you going for a cheap second hand job?
    Ooh, ok, give me a minute or two to recover from the first one...

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    <snicker>

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Can anyone recommend me a Mercedes Benz?

My friends all drive Porsches (well, some of them have Mondeos but you get the idea) and I must make amends.
    A Jag.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Can Mods please unban OldHack for a few hours to hear his views on Mercs?

tia

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Wifey likes the ML in white.
    Nice motor...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    More your price range

Then get a Mondeo, like your mates.
    I had a sierra once. Never again.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's V8 actually.

But otherwise it's a girlie car, just a very mean one ...
    Just like my missus then

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    More your price range

Then get a Mondeo, like your mates.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I don't get the appeal with gun metal grey cars, I always go for black
    Wifey likes the ML in white.