• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Office collections

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office collections"

Collapse

• lukemg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    How does that work? Do you stand up and announce "Excuse me everyone, I'm putting a fifty in!"?

I bet the womenfolk are dead impressed by that.
    Worked quite well as I had a separate office and when they brought in the card to ask I immediately fished out the cash....

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I always find this a great laugh for birthday/leaving/up the duff cards.

Put something like:

"Who are you? I've never heard of you."
    Also try, "thanks for all the great times we've had together, i'll never forget it. Love from your stud muffin".

Goes down with well with their partner.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I always find this a great laugh for birthday/leaving/up the duff cards.

Put something like:

"Who are you? I've never heard of you."

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    They did a thing on Radio 1 a couple of months back and sent round a card for an imaginary "Sarah" who "worked on the web" and read out the things people had written - "Great working with you". "Will miss seeing you around". etc. Very funny.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I've had a card when I've left, but I'd find a collection or present a bit embarrassing.
    It is embarrassing, but you'd look like an ungenerous tit if you refused to accept the gift. They mean well ...

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I make sure I never help myself to more than a fiver.

Seriously - I'll put in if I like the person. I've also had collections done for me when leaving (as a contractor)
    I've had a card when I've left, but I'd find a collection or present a bit embarrassing.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Definite IR35 pointer.
    This was not in the UK, so it didn't matter.

The chances were also high that there would be an accompanying bash with free food and booze.

Them were the days. We were encouraged to not clock off until we actually went home on those bashes. Team building and all that...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I make sure I never help myself to more than a fiver.

Seriously - I'll put in if I like the person. I've also had collections done for me when leaving (as a contractor)

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    At one place the secretaries had this sorted with a distribution list. Just tick your name as having received it and pass it to the next unticked recipient.
    Definite IR35 pointer.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    What sucks is being left with the card and trying to figure out who it should go to next and trying to deliver it surreptitiously.
    At one place the secretaries had this sorted with a distribution list. Just tick your name as having received it and pass it to the next unticked recipient.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    However much you put in, be it £ coins or more, always be sure to chuck in a couple of pennies to get the collection organiser steaming about how anyone could be so tight as to give 3p.
    Last edited by bless 'em all; 10 October 2012, 15:26. Reason: speeling

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    What sucks is being left with the card and trying to figure out who it should go to next and trying to deliver it surreptitiously.
    Yep, and if people have been putting coins in the envelope instead of notes you need to keep that quiet somehow.

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I fire in a few quid so I can feel less guilty when someone brings in birthday buns, it all balances itself out over the term of the gig

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Don't get any of that tulip here, I'm a contractor so not part of the company. Have never been asked at any of the companies where I've been, even if for a long time...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X