• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What you hate about hotels"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Stayed in the Radisson Hampshire on Leicester Square the other year when I was attending a BarCamp London unconference at Capital Radio (where I'd just finished a contract the week before, as it happens).

During my stay I'd chucked an orange juice bottle and a couple of empty water bottles in the bin in the room, all of which had come from the unconference; the orange juice was branded Pret a Manger, as that's where they'd ordered lunch in from on the Saturday, and IIRC the water was Sainsbury's own brand.

This didn't stop the cheeky gits from putting all three on my bill as having come from the minibar

When I complained they didn't even argue, just took them off the bill straight away. Effing chancers

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Why can't hotels put an empty pint sized glass so I can fill it with water and have it next to my bed at night? I've yet to come across a hotel that offers this simple concept without requesting it. Instead you get either 2 glass thimble sized glasses that hold a mouthful each or even worse 2 plastic cups that crush at night when I forget what they're made of and grab it in the dark.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Those that stop you inviting hookers over for dinner.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Or maybe you need to rethink your choice of crappy cheap T-shirt, or else buy one five sizes too large and shrink-wash it first yourself.

If they were crappy cheap T-shirts I wouldn't have minded!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    A lot of that is bollocks, probably written by people who stay a few nights a year in hotels. Over the last 7 years I've spent at least 4 nights a week in hotels and prior to that for 5 years at least 2-3 nights a week in hotels all over the world. I think I've seen nearly everything and put up with some tulip and most of the crap written there is just that, crap...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I've never ever been confused by a tap.
    WHS +1. Person who wrote that must be a ****wit of the highest degree...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is that a combined basin/urinal?
    Probably not, but I think you could justify pissing on it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Typical of foreign establishments. Each country seems to have their own (wrong) idea about what makes a good pillow. We always take a travel kettle and tea-bags with us.
    They sound even less comfortable

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is that a combined basin/urinal?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I prefer a mixer tap personally
    Fair enough; that could be justified under a 'personal preference' clause, but other than that, let's just stick to the basic functions of hot and cold taps and wash basins, without great flights of pseudo-design fantasy like this;

or this;

or this nonsense;

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    In a recent hotel stay

1. Only 2 pillows that compressed to 3mm, actually may have been 1 mm each , when I put my head on them. Found out at the end of my stay that they actually pride themselves on having 5 different pillow types available. They certainly didn't advertise the fact.
    2. No tea or coffee facilities in the room. Bottle of water, end of.
    Typical of foreign establishments. Each country seems to have their own (wrong) idea about what makes a good pillow. We always take a travel kettle and tea-bags with us.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I have; it seems that some designers have indulged their wildest fantasies by dreaming up wierd and wonderful ways of disguising the basic 'water - stop, water - flow, water- flow a bit harder' functionality behind a visually pleasing, artistic and curvaceous metal form that looks almost erotic, but doesn't actually work very well, and have combined this with a flat, shallow slab of granite (or more often fake granite) that doesn't so much act as a receptacle for flowing water as a redirecting weapon for leaving wet stains on one's trousers.

In fact I am of the conviction that the high point of washbasin and tap design was reached by the Shanks company somewhere in the 1950s or earlier, and that all subsequent innovations have been entirely unnecessary and have sometimes even degraded functionality of said equipment.

This is how a washbasin and taps should look. It's quite alright if necessity demands adaptation of size to either fit in a small room or allow a more sumptuous personal hygiene regime, but the basic format is good, so STOP PISSING AROUND WITH IT!

I prefer a mixer tap personally

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I have; it seems that some designers have indulged their wildest fantasies by dreaming up wierd and wonderful ways of disguising the basic 'water - stop, water - flow, water- flow a bit harder' functionality behind a visually pleasing, artistic and curvaceous metal form that looks almost erotic, but doesn't actually work very well, and have combined this with a flat, shallow slab of granite (or more often fake granite) that doesn't so much act as a receptacle for flowing water as a redirecting weapon for leaving wet stains on one's trousers.

In fact I am of the conviction that the high point of washbasin and tap design was reached by the Shanks company somewhere in the 1950s or earlier, and that all subsequent innovations have been entirely unnecessary and have sometimes even degraded functionality of said equipment.

This is how a washbasin and taps should look. It's quite alright if necessity demands adaptation of size to either fit in a small room or allow a more sumptuous personal hygiene regime, but the basic format is good, so STOP PISSING AROUND WITH IT!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I was once confused by a plug

It was one of these ones which spin in the hole, it was in the "plugged" position when I got into the room. Later on, after using the sink I gave up trying to find the lever to raise the plug and left it full of water.
    It was only the next day, after the room had been serviced that I realised what sort of plug it was

My only defense is that it was about midnight when I checked in and was a bit tired. It was also a brand new hotel and was the first night it was operational

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Towel Art? Really, people get het up about that?

The environmental thing bugs me but I still feel guilty using every single towel.

I want plenty of tea bags in the room though and a mug, not a stupid cup that only equates to a splash of water!!

I quite like all the cushions

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X