• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Are Spain boring?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are Spain boring?"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I wouldn't say boring, even when they play with no one up front and 6 midfielders the sheer elegance of passing is something to behold, but tonight they showed they can be ruthless in front of goal, no doubt Italy going down to 10 helped a lot.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I wouldn't say boring, even when they play with no one up front and 6 midfielders the sheer elegance of passing is something to behold, but tonight they showed they can be ruthless in front of goal, no doubt Italy going down to 10 helped a lot.

On the plus side, one for trophy the Spanish can melt down to pay off their Euro bailout

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    Spain 4 - Italy 0

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    They seem to have found the cutting edge. Definitely not boring so far.
    They certainly weren't.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    They seem to have found the cutting edge. Definitely not boring so far.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    With all those fiery latin temperaments I'm expecting especially if Italy get their nose in front.
    Well lets hope so. Could turn into a diving fest if it gets tasty.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Mrs BP wants Spain to win - apparently the players are better looking.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Taking it to the nth degree is fairly new, and other sides will learn how to play against it. Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter Milan seem to have worked out ways, it remains to be seen whether Italy do.
    They managed well enough in the group game. I suppose the question is will they try and score again or be tempted to shut up shop and hold out for penalties.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The consensus among the pundits is that possession is the way forward. Yet Italy beat Germany with what I would call "Anglo-Saxon" goals i.e. the long ball. Having a midfielder like Pirlo who can deliver that long ball is good. If Italy could also find some swift wingers to bomb up and down the sides they could bypass the Spanish midfield.
    True, pundits like a bandwagon. They were also raving about Germany's great young team until that game.

Being able to keep possession like Spain and Barcelona players is a great skill which few encourage in the UK. However, it should be a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.

Taking it to the nth degree is fairly new, and other sides will learn how to play against it. Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter Milan seem to have worked out ways, it remains to be seen whether Italy do.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    If youve got the ball then the other side can't score. It's a game of mathematics.
    That is a fair point, but the three most noted possession teams, Barcelona, Arsenal and Swansea, have won nothing between them this season.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Hope the final isn't
    With all those fiery latin temperaments I'm expecting especially if Italy get their nose in front.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    All that tiki-taka. They have good technical skills in passing among themselves for most of a game, but the game as a spectacle suffers.
    They make up for that in great celebrations after they win yet another title.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    the game as a spectacle suffers
    +1
    it lacks a cutting edge
    +1

Hope the final isn't

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    If youve got the ball then the other side can't score. It's a game of mathematics.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The consensus among the pundits is that possession is the way forward. Yet Italy beat Germany with what I would call "Anglo-Saxon" goals i.e. the long ball. Having a midfielder like Pirlo who can deliver that long ball is good. If Italy could also find some swift wingers to bomb up and down the sides they could bypass the Spanish midfield.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X