• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Riddle me this?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Riddle me this?"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    How important is what you consumed (in food) prior to drinking? ...
    Yes food is important; but equally if not more so is a sleep deficit (possibly caused be previous drinking), which can get you more pissed than one might anticipate.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 30 December 2011, 05:18.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Ooh no.

Speckled Hen (5.2% bottles) v Butcombe (4% pump) the consumption rate was about the same but I gave up earlier on the SH.

5%+ is too strong, British beer should be between 3.5% and 4.5% if it is to be consumed by the pint, continental strength should be served in smaller glasses.

Probably why the British have a problem with alcohol.
    Are you used to drinking SH?

I find an unfamiliar beer won't be recognised by my stomach, and consequently gets into the system a lot faster.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
    I'm really keen to know what the beer was?

Are we talking Fosters vs Stella?

I'm pretty sure sure Fosters is just flavoured water!
    Ooh no.

Speckled Hen (5.2% bottles) v Butcombe (4% pump) the consumption rate was about the same but I gave up earlier on the SH.

5%+ is too strong, British beer should be between 3.5% and 4.5% if it is to be consumed by the pint, continental strength should be served in smaller glasses.

Probably why the British have a problem with alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    NickFitz has it right as usual. It is rate of change of blood alcohol concentration that is the primary driver for the strength of the sensation of being drunk. Though not for actual drunkenness: hence, how drunk you feel is no guide to how drunk you really are.

One of my rules of thumb is that things never really get interesting until the second derivative, but I'm not sure how that would apply to getting drunk.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    How important is what you consumed (in food) prior to drinking?

Is it true you get sloshed much quicker on an empty stomach, and if so how come when you do puke up you find your stomach wasn't that empty after all?

Do certain foods help prevent such a scenario, or will any food do?

This thread may be some help (depending on the quality of information gleaned from it) in the run up to New Year's eve.

Anything to prevent a repeat of last year, when I got pissed and was nearly in a fight in a pub with a drug dealer (unknown to me) who was feeling up a bird (a friend of a friend I'd never met before) in our group who turns out was a bit of a bike (unknown to me until too late for a ride).

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    I'm really keen to know what the beer was?

Are we talking Fosters vs Stella?

I'm pretty sure sure Fosters is just flavoured water!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    LTO-5 - current standard, around 1.5 TB uncompressed per tape, bought over 150 of those last month.

HTH
    Blimey, how old fashioned. Haven't seen a tape in years, everything is virtual tape on real systems now!

Leave a comment:

• Shivers
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    LTO-5 - current standard, around 1.5 TB uncompressed per tape, bought over 150 of those last month.

HTH
    Thanks for the info. Without doubt will come in useful at some point (if there are parallel universes).

However, I will refer any future issues with permies/tapes etc in your direction as you obviously know your stuff.

Regards, Shivers.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    How is it I can drink 5 pints of 5% beer and be a drunken knob 'ed falling over and pissing in drawers yet 8 pints of 4% stuff and I'm fine?

We need more data. Are you consuming the eight pints in the same time as the five pints? What beers are they?

Time is important as you need to consider rates of change, in this case both of blood alcohol levels and rate of onset of inebriation.

The beers in question are important as all beers are not equal in their psychoactive effects, and this is very much an individual thing. Google "congeners" to see what I mean.

And have a good night

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Shivers View Post
    It seems you know a lot about tapes

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Shivers
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    are you still here?
    Have a nice day. Thanks, Shivers.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It seems you know a lot about tapes:-

"LTO-5 tapes over LTO-4.LTO-5 tapes over LTO-4"

Please enlighten me......then again.....

Have a good day.
    Regards, Shivers.
    are you still here?

Leave a comment:

• Shivers
    replied
    It seems you know a lot about tapes:-

"LTO-5 tapes over LTO-4.LTO-5 tapes over LTO-4"

Please enlighten me......then again.....

Have a good day.
    Regards, Shivers.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'd recommend using LTO-5 tapes over LTO-4.

HTH
    Regards, Shivers
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Shivers
    replied
    I'd suggest sticking to the 3.5-4% beer. Wine has the same effect on me so stopped drinking it. 1 bottle of wine = about 9-10 units and I'm gone, 7 pints of Bodds = 11-12 units I'm fine.

All to do with the speed of alcohol consumption not the quantity I believe.

HTH
    Regards, Shivers

Leave a comment:

Working...
X