• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV Tips

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV Tips"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Quite amusing, but the reason we send CVs in Word format is because the agents complain when we send in PDF - because they can't edit PDF.

I propose we find Dominic Connor, and all send him our CVs, printed on blue paper...
    Thought the article was very good.

Although if you want to send him a blue CV you might wish to start here

https://plus.google.com/114662505185420090873/posts

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I edit down older stuff in order to stick to four pages. The last page and a half are virtually all one-liners now.

Including my 25-yard swimming certificate.

And my electronics apprenticeship, which strangely got me a gig 20 years later.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by farout117 View Post
    Actually this is quite interesting. I have more than 11 years experience and the first years were like Mainframe, COBOL, DB2 etc. I have also worked on a lot of contracts in the years, so my CV is like 10 pages long, which some agents might say is too long. Do you guys list all the project from when you started out, or lets say just the last 5 years to keep the CV more concise?
    Me too, but I have a conveyor belt system whereby the oldest gigs drop off the end into obvlivion, and the CV ends with a cliffhanger "Earlier details available on request ..".

Curiously no pimp has yet asked to see any of the gripping previous episodes.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    WHS - although sometimes there is a standard agency header added to the top as well.
    Yep - the only changes to mine I've seen have been to remove the phone number and email address from the header, and stick a standard front sheet on it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Oh and don't wear a red tie. Another bit of advice worth the £60 fee. If you have to rely on this bull you prob look so desperate you aint ever getting a job.
    red tie ?

I can remember the times I wish I had a revolving bow tie with a flashing bulb, a stick-on red nose and a pair of size 24 clowns shoes
    for the times when the agent has sent me to a joke interview. bastids

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    99% of the time, the interviewer has my CV in front of them, so I can see it. I've never seen it any different to what I send in. Except the contact details at the top is removed.
    WHS - although sometimes there is a standard agency header added to the top as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    99% of the time, the interviewer has my CV in front of them, so I can see it. I've never seen it any different to what I send in. Except the contact details at the top is removed. The 2 page cv is bull. I have too much experience and info to put across. But then I always get a lot of work, so what do I know over a "CV expert" who is charging for their work.
    Oh and don't wear a red tie. Another bit of advice worth the £60 fee. If you have to rely on this bull you prob look so desperate you aint ever getting a job.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's probably because the agent cut it down for you.

Some agents like to do editing.

Unfortunately some of them are so thick that their editing ends up like gibberish.

Luckily lots of HR staff are also thick and if you manage to get on with the interviewer it's another thing to bond on.
    99% of the time, the interviewer has my CV in front of them, so I can see it. I've never seen it any different to what I send in. Except the contact details at the top is removed. The 2 page cv is bull. I have too much experience and info to put across. But then I always get a lot of work, so what do I know over a "CV expert" who is charging for their work.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What's really sad though, is this agent didn't realise he'd set the language default to Welsh, so it was all badly spelt.
    Dwi ddim yn siarad cymraeg...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Actually this is quite interesting. I have more than 11 years experience and the first years were like Mainframe, COBOL, DB2 etc. I have also worked on a lot of contracts in the years, so my CV is like 10 pages long, which some agents might say is too long. Do you guys list all the project from when you started out, or lets say just the last 5 years to keep the CV more concise?
    10 pages seriously!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Actually that was an example, but yeah I had half a page for some contracts. Realized it was too much, now its shorter but still want to cut more, its not exactly the final version. So you're saying anything before 2009 should be a 1 liner?
    in my opinion. Unless its a staggeringly wonderful tech, or project or client or achievement.

e.g. I did a gig once in Singapore, so it gets two lines.

The rationale is that it defuses one of the age old questions 'Will you be ok working down in London?'

answer - 'I'll work anywhere - even Singapore, see page 3. Even though it was a bugger getting home for lunch. ha hah.'

Leave a comment:

• farout117
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    10 pages for 22 contracts, thats half a page per gig. you are bonkers

anything more than a few years ago should be a single line, unless it was high earning splendid stuff
    its the client name that matters most

Actually that was an example, but yeah I had half a page for some contracts. Realized it was too much, now its shorter but still want to cut more, its not exactly the final version. So you're saying anything before 2009 should be a 1 liner?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    <Pedant>
    It is a CV.. if you start cutting things out to trim it down then it becomes a Résumé
    </Pedant>
    and if you puff it up and include that nice feedback you got in 1989 from the assistant project managers second in command, it becomes a stream of consciousness ball and chain.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

anything more than a few years ago should be a single line, unless it was high earning splendid stuff
    <Pedant>
    It is a CV.. if you start cutting things out to trim it down then it becomes a Résumé
    </Pedant>

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    managed to get mine down to 5 pages over the weekend. I still think its quite long, but cannot seem to get it shorter

Leave a comment:

Working...
X