• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Referees' Strike - for those interested!"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Double Standards at work........again.

Live with it, you're second class citizens. Oh and (whinging)Scotsmen to boot!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Former referee, Willie Young, was the referee supervisor when Madjid Bougherra manhandled referee Calum Murray at Celtic Park last month.

In 2005 after Neil Lennon barged referee Stuart Dougal and received a three match suspension, the same Willie Young said, “In such circumstances, where there is physical confrontation with an official, [the SFA] should be considering a five-match suspension”.

Dougal, who has been a media ever-present in recent months when the subject of refereeing is heard, said of Neil’s three match punishment, “This was about the future protection of Scotland’s referees and that’s where the feeling of disappointment comes in”.

Ally McCoist, assistant to then Scotland manager Walter Smith, wrote in his Daily Record column, “When I heard the news of his three-match suspension, with no additional points added to his disciplinary record and a return date that puts him in line to play against Hearts on October 15, I was surprised to the point of being staggered by the SFA’s leniency.”

“If I was the match official involved I would feel I had been let down by my employers at the SFA.

“Before anyone is narrow-minded enough to think I’m speaking as a former Rangers player, let me nail that one to the wall straight away.

“If Fernando Ricksen had clashed with Dougal at Ibrox in an identical manner, I would have advocated the same, heavier sentence for him too. This is about the punishment fitting the crime and nothing to do with allegiances.

“Whatever I have to say about Lenny’s case is the opinion of someone trying to be an objective journalist. And someone who, as part of Walter Smith’s coaching team, is trying to think of what’s best for Scottish football.

“If Lennon had been given a five game ban on Tuesday night at his Hampden hearing I’d have said that was a real result for him.”

In summary:

We have the referee supervisor Willie Young at the “Shame game” calling for a five match suspension for “physical confrontation with an official”.

Former referee and now media contributor, Stuart Dougal, has a “feeling of disappointment” at a three match suspension for a Celtic player for the same offence, adding the issue was “about the future protection of Scotland’s referees”.

Rangers assistant manager, Ally McCoist, making it clear that “before anyone is narrow-minded enough to think I’m speaking as a former Rangers player”, saying, “If Lennon had been given a five game ban on Tuesday night at his Hampden hearing I’d have said that was a real result for him.”

And as we discussed yesterday, SFA chief executive Stewart Regan, has said, “Only a matter of months after our referees withdrew their labour, we had to witness the match official, Calum Murray, being manhandled, while another player who had been dismissed brazenly walked to his own supporters in defiance.”

So why no ban from the SFA?

Where is the outcry from the refereeing community when Rangers players and the SFA lead a horse and cart through their attempts to protect officials?
    Double Standards at work........again.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

And on top of Mr McBride QC's assertion that the SFA are the laughing stock of world football, check out the performance of one of their top referees. The incident referred to above. You couldn't make it up.
    FWIW, there may have been a case for awarding a free-kick to Duberry for the initial challenge, but to wave play on right the way through? Hello?????

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Well the fun just keeps on coming Tyke me old mucker!!

Listen to THIS guy. A top QC who is not pulling his punches...........

BBC Sport - Lawyer Paul McBride blasts SFA's Rangers verdict
    Celtics unofficial mouthpiece!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Well another 3 points safely harvested. So no sour grapes over this extraordinary decision.
    Michael Duberry in his own penalty area feels that he has been unfairly challenged from behind, so falls on the ball and virtually grabs hold of the ball. On realising that the ref has not given him the decision, he attempts to stand up and touches the ball for a second time. Still no whistle from the Ref for ANY infringement, so Duberry hoofs it clear whilst everyone else looks bemused that the ref never spotted anything untoward at all. You have to laugh......apparently.

http://twitpic.com/4k2zhc

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I've quite enjoyed this thread, dunno why
    Well the fun just keeps on coming Tyke me old mucker!!

Listen to THIS guy. A top QC who is not pulling his punches...........

BBC Sport - Lawyer Paul McBride blasts SFA's Rangers verdict

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If football were refereed like rugby matches then it would become a civilised sport, until then like the Burqa ... ban it
    Admittedly if that happened until the players got the message (given the IQ of some football players that could be a while) there would be quite a lot of 1 a side games which might be limited entertainment apart from the comedy factor.

I've quite enjoyed this thread, dunno why

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    This message is hidden because d000hg is on your ignore list

Gotta love that "ignore" function.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Ah, but we only use religion as the crutch to beat the other side with, you really don't think for a minute any of us actually believe in that great big comfort blanky in the sky do you?
    If you're happy to use something don't even believe in as a reason to smash each others skulls in, then more fool you.

Next you'll be telling us dinosaurs were't real and the earths only 3 thousand years old give or take a few hundred.
    Don't be silly I've seen dinosaurs on TV.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I don't come on here to read War and Peace.
    Yeah, you only look at the pictures. Everything else either goes over your head, or flashes swiftly through the vacant cavern that sits betwixt your ears.
    Get back to your scintillating commentaries on Lawnmowers.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied

A load of bollocks

Keep it short Dobbie, I don't come on here to read War and Peace.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    If football were refereed like rugby matches then it would become a civilised sport, until then like the Burqa ... ban it

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    “Only a matter of months after our referees withdrew their labour, we had to witness the match official, Calum Murray, being manhandled, while another player who had been dismissed brazenly walked to his own supporters in defiance.”
    Stewart Regan, SFA chief executive, 3 March 2011.
    Serious stuff one might think, as after this series of incidents we had an Emergency Government Summit to address the ensuing trouble.

An urgent summit of leading politicians, sporting officials and police will be held after a violent confrontation between rival managers at a Celtic versus Rangers cup match, where three players were sent off and 34 fans were arrested in the ground.
    Alex Salmond, the first minister of Scotland, said he would convene a summit next week into the "shameful" incidents at Parkhead in Glasgow, which were condemned as "disgraceful and inflammatory" by Stewart Regan, chief executive of the Scottish Football Association.
    The bitterly fought Scottish Cup replay, won 1-0 by Celtic, ended in extraordinary scenes after Ally McCoist, Rangers' assistant manager, and Celtic manager Neil Lennon clashed outside the tunnel.Their confrontation was sparked off by a dispute between the two men over the conduct of Rangers striker El-Hadji Diouf, who became the third Rangers player sent off during the ill-tempered tie.
    There were several touchline incidents and a total of 13 yellow cards, chiefly involving Rangers players. The clashes followed warnings from Strathclyde police and the Scottish Police Federation (SPF), which represents rank and file officers, about the upsurge in sectarian violence, drink-related offences and domestic abuse which frequently follows Old Firm games.
    Surely the SFA must make an example of the rival managers after their confrontation? They certainly seemed very keen on taking action against Lennon.

The SFA and Neil Lennon are on a collision course – and the Scottish Cup semi-final on April 17 is the date something has to give.

That’s the day the Celtic manager intends to return to the dugout as he believes he will have completed the second of the two four-game bans handed to him following the altercation with Ally McCoist during the Old Firm cup-tie on March 2.
    Well today was the day when the Rangers Players and Officials involved in the disgraceful incidents finally got to face the music. What would be the outcome for manhandling the referee on multiple occasions, and refusing to leave the pitch at the end of the match after being shown a Red card? Especially when one considers that Mr Diouf was quoted as saying the following about the Referee involved......................

In an interview with French broadcaster Canal+, the Senegal international said: "The Celtic match where I got a red card was incredible. At first I went to see the ref as I was being kicked all over the park. The ref said to me 'You don't have the right to speak to me', which annoyed me. The Celtic manager [Neil Lennon] insulted me, I answered back and I got a yellow card whereas he got nothing at all.
    "You have to say the ref messed up the game with cards flying everywhere. I know it must be tough for him but still, I guess some refs find it hard to handle these type of games.
    "At the end I told the ref he was the worst ref I've ever had so he gave me another card. I said 'you can give me as many cards as you like, the match is over now'. I know it's not good to get cards but I'm only suspended for the cup, not the league."
    Well thankfully we now know the truth. And here it is....................

SPL - McCoist wins appeal, escapes banTue, 12 Apr 14:13:00 2011

McCoist appealed against the punishment, allowing him to operate from the technical area in last month`s Co-operative Insurance Cup final victory.

The ban has now been overturned by the SFA following a meeting of their disciplinary committee at Hampden today.

El-Hadji Diouf and Madjid Bougherra have also escaped without further bans for their part in last month's Old Firm derby but have been fined and warned over their future conduct by the SFA.

The Rangers duo faced the SFA's disciplinary committee on Tuesday to answer a case of "misconduct of a significantly serious nature" as a result of their actions during the Scottish Cup replay on March 2.

Diouf was fined £5,000 by the governing body, while Bougherra was fined £2,500. Both players were red-carded in the match.
    So in short, the book thrown at Lennon, and anyone connected to Rangers told "Naughty Boy, don't do it again".
    So, double standards still alive and well within the SFA. Plus ca change!!

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Considering this thread is nominally about religion, and I haven't mentioned god-bothering in it, that's a rather lacklustre insult.

Ah, but we only use religion as the crutch to beat the other side with, you really don't think for a minute any of us actually believe in that great big comfort blanky in the sky do you?

Next you'll be telling us dinosaurs were't real and the earths only 3 thousand years old give or take a few hundred.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm a breath of stale air
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X