• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Swine Flu

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Swine Flu"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well a random newspaper quote is obviously better than a scientific publication. We can play the quote game though.
    I refer to the government statistics, less deaths than normal, that is after Australia's "pandemic", and in any case this was reported on CNN. But also New York City are also reporting less deaths than with seasonal flu.

But then again we don't want hard facts to get in the way of a scientist's conjecture.

From what I understand the scientists know it's mild but are worried that it might get nasty.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 December 2009, 09:33.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Well a random newspaper quote is obviously better than a scientific publication. We can play the quote game though.
    ...virus will infect far more people than normal, and it kills directly more often.

The impact of a pandemic is not simply about the number of deaths, though. This pandemic, like previous ones, is killing mainly young people, not the very elderly as flu normally does

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Well, when the other contractors and employees start dropping like flies now you've infected them too, you can ask them whether it was swine or otherwise flu in a week or so when they crawl groggily back into work.

Good job, Nick
    I aim to please

They've all been fine this week; they would have been showing symptoms by now if I'd managed to spread it around. Ah well, next time...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I had some foul disease last week which could have been flu, whether swine or otherwise. It didn't stop me getting to ClientOrg and invoicing, of course
    Well, when the other contractors and employees start dropping like flies now you've infected them too, you can ask them whether it was swine or otherwise flu in a week or so when they crawl groggily back into work.

Good job, Nick

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Rup Jr has it. Poor little mite. It sucks.
    How about: sick tick

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I've got that.
    Wasn't me, honest guv

FWIW a mate of mine in London had the same thing at the same time. The only thing we had in common was that we'd both been to a conference the Friday before. From careful analysis of Twitter, I've come to the conclusion that we were infected by the Dutch web developer contingent, probably ppk to be precise, who had reported a lurgy during the week before the conference.

So if you've been consorting with any Dutchmen lately, that's probably where it came from

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The marketing people got the name of this thing all wrong, flu just doesn't cut it. It should have been called 'deadly swine plague', or 'airborne lung disease for newly borns' or something. Mind you sales of remedies have still been astronomicly high, especially in the UK. In reality all the jab is is just a means of administering a perfectly innocuous RFID tag to the population that will allow your every movement to be monitored and recorded.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I had some foul disease last week which could have been flu, whether swine or otherwise. It didn't stop me getting to ClientOrg and invoicing, of course, but it was very unpleasant: as well as the cold-like symptoms, I had aching in my limbs joints which spread and eventually turned into almost complete seizing up of the muscles of my lower back - walking a mile or so loosened them up, but sitting down for ten minutes would then leave me as bad as when I'd started

I thought the two might be unrelated, but the back trouble cleared up at the same time and rate as the cold symptoms.

Either way, it was crap
    I've got that.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I had some foul disease last week which could have been flu, whether swine or otherwise. It didn't stop me getting to ClientOrg and invoicing, of course, but it was very unpleasant: as well as the cold-like symptoms, I had aching in my limbs joints which spread and eventually turned into almost complete seizing up of the muscles of my lower back - walking a mile or so loosened them up, but sitting down for ten minutes would then leave me as bad as when I'd started

I thought the two might be unrelated, but the back trouble cleared up at the same time and rate as the cold symptoms.

Either way, it was crap
    That was probably bird flu then.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    swine flu

Government Web sites from such southern hemisphere countries as Australia and New Zealand, whose flu season is now ending, show fewer flu deaths than normal.
    New York City data indicate that swine flu is perhaps a tenth as lethal as the seasonal variety
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 December 2009, 18:19.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Apparently the main dfference is that swine flu is somewhat milder, than normal seasonal flu.
    Apparently not.Still, what are facts when you have CUK.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Either way, it was crap

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Apparently the main dfference is that swine flu is somewhat milder, than normal seasonal flu. In Australia, which has had it's seasonal flu, the swine flu has displaced normal flu completely and there were far less deaths than usual.

They expect swine flu to replace normal flu and become seasonal flu.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I thought the anti virals were to prevent you getting it, then tamiflu once the symptoms started ?

You know what I meant - the Tamiflu smart.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    My daughter had it - once she got the anti-virals she improved very quickly.
    I thought the anti virals were to prevent you getting it, then tamiflu once the symptoms started ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X