• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who the feck is paying for this?"

Collapse

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    Does born here mean a UK citizen?
    I had to look this one up, as neither myself nor my wife are UK citizens but our son was born here.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-ri...ionality.shtml

"The British Nationality Act 1981 came into force on 1 January 1983. It defines who is British by birth and how people may become British through naturalisation or registration.

People who were born in the UK before 1983 were automatically British citizens by birth. The only exception to this was children whose parents were working here as diplomats at the time they were born.

Anybody born here after 1 January 1983 is automatically British if at the time of the birth:

One of their parents was a British citizen.
    One of their parents was allowed to stay here permanently.
    For children born outside of marriage, it remains the case that British nationality can only be passed through the mother. Parliament has passed a law that overturns this - the Nationality Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 allows nationality to be inherited from the father, but as of 2006 this provision is still not in force.

Where neither parent is British at the time of the child’s birth, but they later become settled, they can then apply for their child to naturalise.

If children are not able to inherit a nationality from either of their parents and are born stateless, and if they live in the UK for the first seven years of their life without gaining any nationality, their parents can apply for them to settle and then become British. The Nationality Immigration and Asylum act 2002 provides that stateless children can acquire nationality after five years of continual residence, but this provision is not yet in force."

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I am kinda with Churchy on this one, only kinda.

If the girl is British, and I suspect she is (dual nationality) then she is deserving of our support. However, I am not sure we have any right to remove her from her own country and culture just because we find it distasteful. Nor do I see why the UK tax payer should be liable for the costs of such an operation or the costs of her long term support in such a situation.
    If she isn't then we have no right interfering with another countries culture.

Questions: Are arranged marriages illegal in Bangladesh? What age is sex legal there between man and wife?

We have had many arguments on this board about changing cultures and many of you say that people have a right to live by their own, particularly in their own countries. Why is this case different?

We are not armed with all the facts here gents we are arguing on supposition.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Well I don't mind if my taxes go towards that. A British girl who got kidnapped at age 6.
    Hope it wasn't too costly though. I doubt the SAS were having too many sleepless nights about that particular rescue.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I don't mind my taxes spent on preventing this.

However I wonder if this is an effective use of resources?

If they jailed & where possible deported all those responsible it might become less common.

Forced marraiges are repulsive, child abuse worse. However if there is no retribution they will continue.

Whether we should have gone to Bangaledesh and effectively kidnapped her is open to debate. A diplomatic solution, i.e. our ambassador explains to the Bangaledeshi ambassador that if the girl wasn't on the next plane home and the perpetrators imprisoned then any money repatriated to Bangaledesh would be seized as suspected funds for terrorists and the visa office would close.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Does born here mean a UK citizen? If so, a UK responsibility I suppose, but pretty damn stupid to make so many with utterly unnaceptable third world practices and attitudes UK citizens in the first place. Has anyone seen the figures for homicide of and violence against women in Bangladesh? Do a Google search. Horrendous!

Why the hell have we spent the last 400 years evolving our society beyond this sort of thing, only to take it back again with massive unreregulated immigration from the third world? Does something as unnaceptable as treatment of women as objects become ok just because minorities do it?

In so many areas, it is politically correct crap to pretend that "third world" means anything but uncivilised. It is time some stopped confusing the idea that all people are much the same given the same chances (which I fully agree with and I think the evidence supports) with the idea that all societies are much the same (which is utter idiocy requiring total blindness on the part of the believer).

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxamus
    Shamboo should be chopped up and sold to McDonalds!
    Not a good idea, the poor cow has TB.

Leave a comment:

• Maxamus
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    £16k wouldn't pay for the laser giro.

If she's British, then fine, by all means repatriate. But at least do something effective to stop it happening again!

Btw, how do you feal about Shambo?
    Shamboo should be chopped up and sold to McDonalds!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxamus
    ffs

everytime something like this comes up i knew its brought up because it has links to some ethnic group somewhere in Britian.

"Why should we pay for it?"

I'll tell you why, because they are people like you and me (only if you saw past the skin colour).

Let me guess, you dont give money to non-whites? So comic relief is out the running then.....

Grow up man. Everyone, be it whites, blacks, browns, pinks, greens contributes to this country not just you and i.

Oh and for the record, i'd rather be happy that my taxes be spent on stuff like this helping people rather than lining the pockets of CEO's at missile plants where this UK goverment is paying £16,000 per missile!
    £16k wouldn't pay for the laser giro.

If she's British, then fine, by all means repatriate. But at least do something effective to stop it happening again!

Btw, how do you feal about Shambo?
    Hindus have launched a last minute appeal to prevent the slaughter of a sacred bull which has tested positive for tuberculosis.
    The bull, Shambo, lives in a shrine in Llanpumsaint, Carmarthenshire.

Officials at the Skanda Vale Temple and the Hindu Forum of Britain, say the killing of cows and bulls is against their religious principles.

But the Welsh assembly government said infected animals were slaughtered to "protect both human and animal health".

Shambo tested positive in routine bovine TB screening and was placed in isolation.

Agriculture officials intend to start discussing whether to slaughter the six-year-old British Friesian on 14 May, but the temple is mounting a legal challenge and has begun an online petition to save Shambo.

Ramesh Kallidai of the Hindu Forum of Britain, which represents Hindus in the UK, said the rest of the herd of 35 cows and bulls were "absolutely fine".

"As a responsible organisation, the temple has sought professional veterinary advice to ensure that robust measures are taken to isolate Shambo and minimise the spread of disease.

"Killing Shambo will violate our faith, tradition and desecrate our temple. It goes against all accepted norms of our faith."

Mr Kallidai added they would be calling on the Welsh assembly government to intervene. Skanda Vale Temple, known as the Community of the Many Names of God is a multi-denominational monastic centre, which embraces all religious faiths and includes three Hindu shrines.

It attracts over 90,000 pilgrims every year and Skanda Vale also runs a hospice.

Speaking on behalf of Hindus at the temple, Swami Suryananda said they "understand and appreciate" the position with regards to public health and containing the spread of bovine TB.

"We have been advised that there is provision both within the Animal Health Act 1981 and the more recent TB Order Wales 2006 for permission to treat and vaccinate any animal identified as having TB with the prior consent of the minister for the National Assembly of Wales."

But an assembly government spokesperson said TB was a disease which was transmissible to humans and other mammals.

"We fully understand that this can be distressing for the owners, but these measures are in place to protect public health and animal health and prevent the further spread of the disease.

"An animal kept by the Community of the Many Names of God has tested positive, and the case is being dealt with in the usual way. Every effort will be made to deal with this case as sensitively as possible."
    Last edited by Churchill; 9 May 2007, 16:06.

Leave a comment:

• Maxamus
    replied
    ffs

everytime something like this comes up i knew its brought up because it has links to some ethnic group somewhere in Britian.

"Why should we pay for it?"

I'll tell you why, because they are people like you and me (only if you saw past the skin colour).

Let me guess, you dont give money to non-whites? So comic relief is out the running then.....

Grow up man. Everyone, be it whites, blacks, browns, pinks, greens contributes to this country not just you and i.

Oh and for the record, i'd rather be happy that my taxes be spent on stuff like this helping people rather than lining the pockets of CEO's at missile plants where this UK goverment is paying £16,000 per missile!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero
    I don't see anyone moaning about where the money is coming from to send the 'Cracker-style' police over to sunny Portugal, to help find the abducted British 3-year-old.

Is it 'cause she is white?

Child abuse is child abuse. If you don't like your cash being spent on the wellbeing of British children, then you need more help than an accountant can give you.
    It has nothing to do with colour.

I don't know if you have been reading this thread, but the point is whether the child in Bangladesh is British. You seem to know that she is, do you have any links?

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    I don't see anyone moaning about where the money is coming from to send the 'Cracker-style' police over to sunny Portugal, to help find the abducted British 3-year-old.

Is it 'cause she is white?

Child abuse is child abuse. If you don't like your cash being spent on the wellbeing of British children, then you need more help than an accountant can give you.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    You know what, I had a long reply ready and then I thought, "what's the point?"

You're too miserable to get it and I'd just be wasting my time. She may be British, she may even not be, who cares - she's no longer in a bad situation and that brings a wee smile to my face, and seems to make you an angry man.

I know who I'd rather be given the choice.
    So tell me, what is the point?

Your argument is based on assumptions, not on facts.

I wish I could afford to save every person in that predicament. The truth is, I can't. The real truth is that the whole country can't. You've bought the emotional drivel are you prepared to back it up with higher taxes?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    You're making some pretty big assumptions there in forming your opinion.

There is nothing in the original article on the BBC website that says she is a British Citizen.

I don't read the Daily Mail - I have zero interest in how Diana died.

Let's face it, I just don't jump to the same assumptions that you do.

You support Celtic, I think football is a stupid game.

You think you're correct in your assumptions, I think you're an ill educated ******.

See, we're different.
    You know what, I had a long reply ready and then I thought, "what's the point?"

You're too miserable to get it and I'd just be wasting my time. She may be British, she may even not be, who cares - she's no longer in a bad situation and that brings a wee smile to my face, and seems to make you an angry man.

I know who I'd rather be given the choice.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    I'm on a BB giving an opinion on something you read in the press and posted. My reaction isn't knee jerk, it's my considered opinion on the information provided - the same info you're reacting too, unusual as yours may be.

She lived here 6 years, I got no idea if her parents were settled or not, but IMO living here for the first six years of her life makes her a British citizen, and I suspect given the fact she lived here for 6 years and the fact that she was actually brought back to the UK would suggest she is legally British too. You're pretty quick to acuse others of being a bit slow so do I have to spell this one out for you, again?

I'll pass on the sheep coment, cause it's not worth it, satisfied that with every post you just look like more and more of a miserable old git, with zero compassion and most probably a lifetime subscription to the daily mail. Oh sorry, you form your own opinions.
    You're making some pretty big assumptions there in forming your opinion.

There is nothing in the original article on the BBC website that says she is a British Citizen.

I don't read the Daily Mail - I have zero interest in how Diana died.

Let's face it, I just don't jump to the same assumptions that you do.

You support Celtic, I think football is a stupid game.

You think you're correct in your assumptions, I think you're an ill educated ******.

See, we're different.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    From the radio news, yes she is a British citizen.
    The BBC website does not say she is a British citizen. Have you got a link?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X