• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gove closes tax loophole on second homes"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Only if they are owned/run by a business, surely? And if you run your BTL through a business you could probably have got the £10k grant also?
    It's easy to set up a 'business', you don't have to incorporate...

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Only if they are owned/run by a business, surely? And if you run your BTL through a business you could probably have got the £10k grant also?
    I believe the "loophole" that they are trying to close is something along the lines of you only used to need to "offer" your house for rent, and then only for a certain number of days per year. So of course a lot of people did it (on paper), took the rate rebate and then never or rarely rented it out. Now I believe it actually has to be rented out for a certain number of days but I can't be bothered to Google it for details. It was a rort, pure and simple, and a lot of people ended up paying no council tax for years, and also accepting Covid grants, for what were in effect second homes and not businesses at all.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

Holiday lets often/usually qualify for small business rate relief which means they don't pay any rates at all. Total scam, and that's before we get on to the grants they were given over Covid. No wonder locals get the hump.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That's strange - I thought business council tax rates were far more than domestic council tax
    Holiday lets often/usually qualify for small business rate relief which means they don't pay any rates at all. Total scam, and that's before we get on to the grants they were given over Covid. No wonder locals get the hump.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    That's strange - I thought business council tax rates were far more than domestic council tax

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    I imagine that the residents of areas like Cornwall are delighted with this news as it will / should mean more money for the local area.

Full report here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...n-second-homes
    No he hasn't he's reduced the rules by 50%

It used to be available 210 days and let for 105 days - now its available 140 days and 70 days let see HS253 Furnished holiday lettings (2018) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    started a topic Gove closes tax loophole on second homes

Gove closes tax loophole on second homes

I imagine that the residents of areas like Cornwall are delighted with this news as it will / should mean more money for the local area.

Full report here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...n-second-homes

Working...
X