• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the Burning Man festival about, if anything?"

Collapse

• hairymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Can you write a synopsis for us?
    Well, there's a giant dried lakebed in Neveda. The ground is white dirt, very alkali and the wind blows hard. Often they have a giant festival where thousands camp out, because of the wind and sand they wear Goggles and look very steampunk. Artists come weeks before the festival and build giant structures and statues, many of which move and have crazy lights. People also build giant Mad Max style vehicles and drive around looking crazy. At night, the lights are completely nuts. Everyone dances a lot and possibly there's a lot of nudity except for the Goggles.
    The centre of the whole thing is an elaborate statue of a man and the highlight is burning that. Lots of the other artworks and structures are burned as well. I don't think any bands play, the art is the attraction.

I've never been to that festival, but I have driven around on the lakebed and did some kitebuggying. It's a pretty inhospitable environment but there's plenty of wind and space. I think the site is relatively close to the solar concentrator, where they have mirrors on the ground to reflect the sun onto some liquid salt in a tower in order to generate electricity and vaporize birds.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Any one been to the Burning Man Festival? Would anyone want to be invited?

It seems vaguely New Agey, or started out that way, but is there an underlying theme these days?

What's it all abaaaht Alfie?
    It used to offend the right whingers, was a bit of a hippy/new age thing about celebrating the summer solstice. Then businesses realised they could make a fortune selling merchandise etc, and the festival lost its edge, as it became almost a parody of itself.
    By the early 2000s, a lot of the planning for it was done on tribe.net

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    There was a show on Sky arts a few weeks back about the artwork on display there. If you can find that on a catch up service it will explain a lot.
    Can you write a synopsis for us?

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    There was a show on Sky arts a few weeks back about the artwork on display there. If you can find that on a catch up service it will explain a lot.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    It's about drugs and sex. Basically big drugged out orgy.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

<- wot the witch does.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Happy to, as long as I'm not on the poll to be burned
    They'd only do that to you if you didn't drown.....

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Aaah come on, who doesn't do that?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Nor me!

I always wonder, have any sockies ever turned up at your dos? Bet Gricer is a nice bloke.
    When he's not pissing out of carriage windows.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Nor me!

I always wonder, have any sockies ever turned up at your dos? Bet Gricer is a nice bloke.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Happy to, as long as I'm not on the poll to be burned

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    LM should start up a CUK Burning Man event. We can have a poll in advance to see which of the most annoying posters we will burn.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic What is the Burning Man festival about, if anything?

What is the Burning Man festival about, if anything?

Any one been to the Burning Man Festival? Would anyone want to be invited?

2021-09-05 Burning Man's UNOFFICIAL festival kicks off this weekend

It seems vaguely New Agey, or started out that way, but is there an underlying theme these days?

What's it all abaaaht Alfie?

Working...
X