• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will there be travel restrictions this summer"

Collapse

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That's cos all the hospitality staff have either legged it or got jobs with better hours.
    You saying it is busy everywhere because of a shortage of staff.

Is it not just a lot of people traveling to the same place? no parking, capacity at hotels, restaurants. Beech looks like a rock concert full of people.

But yeah blame the low paid immigrant worker, as no native wants to work for peanuts.

Maybe reassessing corporate profit to take into account driving down workers pay.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Holiday in Wales was mal's plan B.
    No, that was my suggestion to Malvolio, because I thought his young kids would enjoy a holiday in a Welsh farmhouse, in the company of geese and lambs etc. But it turns out his kids are over 40!

So it's sort of like that distinguished French author who asked a relative if his nephew enjoyed the teddy bear the author had sent him for Christmas, only to be told "Well not really. He's a colonel in the Foreign Legion now!"

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
    Will Boris stop people traveling to places like Cornwall this summer due to rise in new variants?
    If Cornwall want to keep the tourists out they should follow Norfolk and shut at 7pm, meaning you have to go home if you can't book somewhere for dinner before this time (and in Norfolk, you can't). I can't say whether Deliveroo offers a useful alternative as the area where I stayed had no mobile phone coverage.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Neighbour just got back from Wales. sounded miserable. Busy everywhere, no tables available at restaurants.

Could you be bothered, I know people want a holiday, but there are limits.
    That's cos all the hospitality staff have either legged it or got jobs with better hours.

Leave a comment:

• Scorp1
    replied
    Will there be travel this summer?

That’s a better question
    Abroad ? Is it worth the bother, nah it's not worth it !

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

He means Malvolio, rather than you (I think).
    Ok thanks. For a minute I thought I gave the impression I like Wales

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

My god no. I lived in Swansea for 3 months. If I never go to Wales again I will be happy.
    He means Malvolio, rather than you (I think).

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied

My god no. I lived in Swansea for 3 months. If I never go to Wales again I will be happy.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Neighbour just got back from Wales. sounded miserable. Busy everywhere, no tables available at restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I suppose we're now getting into the nuance of of does infection still have the same dire consequences as it did this time last year?

I don't think it does, although I don't have stats to back that up.

It's (on a very tenuous level) a bit like HIV/AIDS - initially a diagnosis was a death sentence. Now, if you have access to the right drugs, it's a chronic illness that can be managed. The main difference here is that the scientific community have achieved that transition in a year rather than many decades.

Yes, infection rates are going up, but what is the clinical outcome? Hospitals have very few covid patients, people are still dying (because that's what all alive things will eventually do) but the flawed measurement approach makes it hard to tell if covid was the primary cause of death or if it was a bus, or a stabbing, or that great big tumour which the NHS was too busy to remove.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I didn't think so before but I'm starting to think we are in the crap. I went out for the first time on Friday with the other half. We wanted to wait a bit rather than dash out as soon as it's open so it calms down a bit. First bloody trip out and we get a covid alert saying we need to lock down. I was ****ing livid. All our tests come back negative. Four days later my lad tests positive for covid. A bunch of his mates have and we are hearing stories of other people in the area that all took the lock down seriously. One trip out and we are back in lockdown for 10 days. Can't believe it.

Indicatations in my area are that this is running absolutely riot. At this rate I can see restrictions coming in very soon.
    Apparently it is the young driving the infection rates as they meet more people. Well as they go to school and college and tend to work in things like hospitality it isn't surprising.

Just seen a council email saying they are surge testing in parts of my borough and telling me to do the useless lateral flow tests..

​​​​

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    How inneresting

Leave a comment:

• Great Britten
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The border is a bit of a moveable feast, judging by my 30 second scan of wikipedia...
    I'm more than happy to redraw that border much further west.

The Cley Hill roundabout sounds about right.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Will there be travel this summer?

That’s a better question

Leave a comment:

Working...
X