• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Weather today

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Weather today"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    My favourite leather worker is Romanian

I spent today making the most of the sunshine by meeting a friend for brunch & then a trip to JT Batchelor to stock up on the dead cow

I discovered a most beautiful green dyed cow hide that is slightly mottled, I am thinking it will make a good bag that is designed to look like an alien egg, with requisite face hugger crawling up the side

but now have enough veg tan to finish current back pack / handbag for goth days as it looks like a coffin

hope you all get to enjoy the day star !
    Looking forward to see that one!

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Maybe I'm being too literal but me suggesting to HR that now I have a suntan I can be counted as a diversity hire might be unwelcome.
    That’s the fun of it. It would be considered so out of order that they won’t dare to ask if it is a suntan.
    Probably you could get fired for a lot less than that anyway.

People are too gullible about the diversity and life actually matters.
    No life matters, You are all worthless and the establishment doesn’t give a sod if you exist or not.
    they are just using it to distract people from the actual issues and divisions in our society.
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 27 May 2021, 17:02.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Maybe I'm being too literal but me suggesting to HR that now I have a suntan I can be counted as a diversity hire might be unwelcome.
    I think you are being too literal. I definitely took it as a joke and not a serious statement.

I didn't know CUK had a human remains department to report the post to, tbh

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I agree, I'm not seeing anything in your post that's racist. You're describing that people mistake you for a member of a minority group and that it doesn't cause you offense.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    My favourite leather worker is Romanian

I spent today making the most of the sunshine by meeting a friend for brunch & then a trip to JT Batchelor to stock up on the dead cow

I discovered a most beautiful green dyed cow hide that is slightly mottled, I am thinking it will make a good bag that is designed to look like an alien egg, with requisite face hugger crawling up the side

but now have enough veg tan to finish current back pack / handbag for goth days as it looks like a coffin

hope you all get to enjoy the day star !

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I grew up thinking everyone from Romania was related to Dracula, if that helps...

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I agree, I'm not seeing anything in your post that's racist. You're describing that people mistake you for a member of a minority group and that it doesn't cause you offense.
    People can take offence from whatever they want. I still stand by what I said.

I don't think I said I mind being called a gypsy, I frankly don't care, I had friends while growing up of that ethnicity. We were all the same.
    I just see the reaction on people's face when you say it. That is all you need to see in this regards. When you have a conversation with someone it is all going fine then you mention Romania and you see their face change with disgust.

In britain there are three classes, 1st class... the usual, second class are minorities, third class - eastern europeans and gypsies. No matter how the amount of "affirmative action" most of british people are tacit racists. I don't think you could change that.

It wasn't what I was initially after but hopefully it helps people be more aware.

BR14 please come back and tell me to go back home...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I think it says more about the “virtue signalling” that companies are doing and hiring candidates solely based on minority aspects.
    Meritocracy has been long forgotten.

frankly I don’t think there is anything racist in my post.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

So you believe because you are an ethnic minority (in this country) its ok to be racist?

Can you see why this might be wrong?
    I think it says more about the “virtue signalling” that companies are doing and hiring candidates solely based on minority aspects.
    Meritocracy has been long forgotten.

frankly I don’t think there is anything racist in my post.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    Any thoughts on the weather today?

I think I am going to spend so much time in the sun that people will hire me for diversity quota.

as a side note and not to sound too politically incorrect: I am Romanian so most of the people assume that I am gypsy anyway. (Despite having hints of blonde hair) I have immunity to make this type of joke.

some people I think confuse RRomani with Romanian which are quite different. To save uncomfortable moments, I sometimes say that I am Russian. People like that, sounds dangerous.
    So you believe because you are an ethnic minority (in this country) its ok to be racist?

Can you see why this might be wrong?

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    started a topic Weather today

Weather today

Any thoughts on the weather today?

I think I am going to spend so much time in the sun that people will hire me for diversity quota.

as a side note and not to sound too politically incorrect: I am Romanian so most of the people assume that I am gypsy anyway. (Despite having hints of blonde hair) I have immunity to make this type of joke.

some people I think confuse RRomani with Romanian which are quite different. To save uncomfortable moments, I sometimes say that I am Russian. People like that, sounds dangerous.

Working...
X