• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Haybrook/SQCP in liquidation"

Collapse

• whatgoesaround
    replied
    Originally posted by newmove View Post
    This recruitment agency is currently going through Liquidation with the Contractors' unpaid invoices going down with it. The strange thing is that the CEO or one of the Directors just set up a new recruitment company. Do you guys think this is ethical?
    The owner has setup a new recruitment agency called 'Potton Recruitment Ltd', which he did just before putting multiple Ltd companies into Insolvency/ liquidation.
    I know quite a few contractors who are affected. I note also the Director(s) who ran these companies have also now removed their credentials from LinkedIn.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    What an absolute shyster considering I have over £30k invoices going down with it.
    That is very bad. I've worked via SQCP in the past and they were alright, but looking at their recent accounts I might have used invoice insurance just incase.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    What an absolute shyster considering I have over £30k invoices going down with it.
    But this Tory govt say there is no risk being an IT Contractor, you are just a disguised employee taking zero risk and avoiding taxes. None of you are real businesses.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Yes, a matching fee and an ongoing fee for the first year of the assignment.
    The client should be interested in transparency and most of the income reaching the contractor, not the convoluted ways that you do business today.
    No (less) money in it and more work

It ain't going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

So, more along the lines of a dating agency - both parties pay a fee to be matched up and then they agree their own terms of engagement?
    Yes, a matching fee and an ongoing fee for the first year of the assignment.
    The client should be interested in transparency and most of the income reaching the contractor, not the convoluted ways that you do business today.

Leave a comment:

• newmove
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I don't suppose you have IPSE membership?

No, I don't.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    Clients should change the nature of the service so that the client pays the contractor directly and then agency gets it's cut from contractor. It should be a more honest relationship. Also it would put an end to the many games in the business.

The way the agency intermediate the contract and keep control of the business it's old fashion and a proliferation of the "old boys club".

The payment management is nonsense especially in these times when everything is digitalised. And I would not mind a long waiting time if the client is solvent. Not a thing that you could say about many agencies atm. Especially today.

What would stop an agency with small overhead and rogue practices declaring bankruptcy while syphoning fees for 1-2months from 100-200-300 contractors? Nothing.
    So, more along the lines of a dating agency - both parties pay a fee to be matched up and then they agree their own terms of engagement?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I don't suppose you have IPSE membership?

Leave a comment:

• newmove
    replied

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Yeah nothing to stop anyone doing this. Companies house will show liquidated or dissolved companies against their name. Some may do on purpose some a circumstance of business. But I have also seen some directors use different variations of their name so companies are not clearly linked.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Clients should change the nature of the service so that the client pays the contractor directly and then agency gets it's cut from contractor. It should be a more honest relationship. Also it would put an end to the many games in the business.

The way the agency intermediate the contract and keep control of the business it's old fashion and a proliferation of the "old boys club".

The payment management is nonsense especially in these times when everything is digitalised. And I would not mind a long waiting time if the client is solvent. Not a thing that you could say about many agencies atm. Especially today.

What would stop an agency with small overhead and rogue practices declaring bankruptcy while syphoning fees for 1-2months from 100-200-300 contractors? Nothing.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    I worked through this outfit a lot back in the day.
    They were alright back then, never had an issue.
    Never had the top man down for a fly by nighter.
    I think something serious has happened to business.
    My first guess would be a client going bust with quite a backlog of aged debt to SQCP.
    Directors pheonixing unfortunately happens all the time. Not a lot you can do unless fraud or similar illegals can be proven. I have seen contractors use pheonixing too.
    Lots of recruitment agencies have used this trick in the past. Its nothing new for the sector.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    What stops all other recruitment agency directors from adopting these sharp practices and getting away with it. This one currently has a residential development to his name. It is a shame as I know a lot of contractors impacted.
    Then there will be a good story to tell when contractors perform their due diligence of that recruitment agency in future, won't there?

Leave a comment:

• newmove
    replied
    What stops all other recruitment agency directors from adopting these sharp practices and getting away with it. This one currently has a residential development to his name. It is a shame as I know a lot of contractors impacted.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    He's got the knowledge of how it all works, knows what can go wrong and the databases of the dying company. Get rid of his old company and it's mistakes and start with a clean sheet. Why wouldn't he?

It would be unethical if he just used the old one to rack up debts but line his pocket and he's just going to start again. If there were factors outside his control that pushed his first company under then of course you'd give it another stab.

Depends on the reasons I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X