• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The strange and slow death of CUK"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Thanks, yes, I was serious. I'm sure I recall reading about a "one mile" rule, and remembered this because I presumed it had been defined as such to bag financial contractors based at various places in the "square mile".
    There isn't really a 'one mile rule'. There is a common understanding that anywhere in the Square Mile and you are caught but that's based on the fact it's just not far enough to count because it's not a significant enough change. The same could be said for working down the road anywhere, just as you are doing.

24 Month Rule for Tax Free Travel Expenses Relief | Nixon Williams

Example 5 in the link mentions the Square mile and plenty of other guides do. Even if your new gig is now outside this square mile you need be careful, a couple of extra tube stops and maybe a change can get you around most of London and (IMO) that is still not significant compared to say, working in the NW where your next client could be an hour or more away. Get's very grey at this point.

Cojaks second post in thread generally sums it up.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-expenses.html

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Which pretty much backs up what I said. If you're in band 2 and don't cross band 1 to get to CW, then it's significantly cheaper than getting to Moorgate/London Wall area.

Still, it's an absolute joke that if your other half steadfastly refuses to move to London (quite reasonable of her too, I'd say), then you can't claim accommodation as part of the 24 month rule. Potential restraint of trade issue?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    have you asked an accountant?

24 Month Rule for Tax Free Travel Expenses Relief | Nixon Williams

An employee who works at a number of different sites which are effectively at the same location will need to consider their position when it comes to the 24 month rule. If it is reasonable to expect that all or most of your contracts will take place within the same area, then the 24 month rules will apply to the general area rather than any specific contract or location. Although the definition of a site or location is not clear, in cases where there is confusion, the journey itself will be considered an indicator of the whether a location has changed or not. If your journey from home is broadly the same, including time taken and cost, then a second contract which takes place in a similar area will be considered to be taking place at the same location.

If you work on more than one site on a regular basis, then you will need to look at the proportion of your time spent at each site. If the total time spent at each site is less than 40 per cent of the total working time spent there over the 2 month period, then travel and subsistence costs are unlimited. However, if you spend 70 per cent of your time at one site and 30 per cent at another, then you can claim travel expenses for the site where you spend 30 per cent of your time but nothing for the other.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Thanks, yes, I was serious. I'm sure I recall reading about a "one mile" rule, and remembered this because I presumed it had been defined as such to bag financial contractors based at various places in the "square mile".
    It's debateable whether you'd fall foul if switching between the Square Mile and Canary Wharf. While they're both on the same DLR line (Woolwich Arsenal - Bank), unless you're coming in from that direction, you'd have to change trains somewhere if you're coming in from any other direction - therefore, is it as cut and dried as proximity?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Assuming you're serious, the journey has to be substantially different. Which is subjective, but a couple of miles isn't likely to cut it in most instances.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    MF and suity logged in at the same time, and it's calculated by density.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    "Most users ever online was 2,037, 11th September 2016 at 02:35."
    MF and suity logged in at the same time, and it's calculated by weight.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    02:35?? Must be MF testing a new batch of sockies ahead of any tightening of registration process.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    He's just trolling. No one is stupid enough to think a couple of miles resets it.
    NLyUK's accountant said it does.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    There's a difference between stupid (which, having met Owlhoot, he isn't) and ignorant.
    But I don't think he's either as I think he's toying with us.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    He's just trolling. No one is stupid enough to think a couple of miles resets it.
    There's a difference between stupid (which, having met Owlhoot, he isn't) and ignorant.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Assuming you're serious, the journey has to be substantially different. Which is subjective, but a couple of miles isn't likely to cut it in most instances.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    WMSS+1

The journey must be substantially different in the eyes of HMRC. Given that they regard central London as one location for the purposes of determining travel expenses, moving a mile down the road to a new client isn;t going to cut it IMO.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yes well this idea that it's okay to sulk because someone disagreed with you seems to be a core pro EU stance.
    I don't think I'd call divorce sulking. Frankly that's just crass.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X