• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor furlough - PAYE query"

Collapse

• andydd68
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake1000 View Post
    Just used the HMRC one and its not easy coz it only allows 2 weeks in advance..but after some fiddling about it does appear correct.

Result from HMRC is £575.20, - 80% of 719 (I told it Ive already been Furloughed n Im claiming a whole months worth).

In Xero I get £573.33, this is working on a hypothetical payslip for June (to get a whole month of furlough, instead of Mays partial one)...so Im happy with that.

Looking at it, seems a difference in the way it treats Bank Holiday pay, re-did it and Im confident its all correct.

Pay period end date Furlough amount (80% of pay)
    8 April 2020 £575.20 - A full month
    7 May 2020 £436.36 - Furlough starting today (8th), so your figure will be close to this ?. Add £68 - 2 x £34 ?
    Last edited by andydd68; 8 May 2020, 13:01.

Leave a comment:

• Jake1000
    replied
    Originally posted by andydd68 View Post
    Ouch !.. that looks painful, Ill have a look. But I havnt seen an HMRC calculator yet, I started going through the CJRS process but it just accepts raw numbers (youve already pre-calculated), but Ill poke about n see if there is a calculator.

Just found it but oddly it only allows you to calculate 2 weeks worth, (when entering end date it says it must be max 14 days from start date, this makes no sense, why not 3 weeks or a full month ?)
    Here is the link
    Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme calculator - Job Retention Scheme calculator - GOV.UK

Go by this - at least its HMRC's

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied
    Thanks - I understand now

You might want to see this regarding calculation
    Xero vs HMRC furlough calculation | AccountingWEB
    Ouch !.. that looks painful, Ill have a look. But I havnt seen an HMRC calculator yet, I started going through the CJRS process but it just accepts raw numbers (youve already pre-calculated), but Ill poke about n see if there is a calculator.

Just found it but oddly it only allows you to calculate 2 weeks worth, (when entering end date it says it must be max 14 days from start date, this makes no sense, why not 3 weeks or a full month ?)
    Last edited by andydd68; 7 May 2020, 16:33.

Leave a comment:

• Jake1000
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Apologies, I didn't realise the actual question was how much to claim for the furloughed period after 4 May and what to put on any payslip.
    No worries - thanks for you response

Leave a comment:

• Jake1000
    replied
    Yes..You can apply for minimum of 3 weeks but you cant apply more than 2 weeks in advance. i.e if you are furloughed today, you have to wait a week to apply (assuming you are applying for 3 weeks worth)...so that the end date is 14 days away.
    Thanks - I understand now

You might want to see this regarding calculation
    Xero vs HMRC furlough calculation | AccountingWEB

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I thought the OP was asking what to put on their payslip for the period 1 - 4 May, before being furloughed, bearing in mind they usually pay themselves £719 a month?

Apologies, I didn't realise the actual question was how much to claim for the furloughed period after 4 May and what to put on any payslip.

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied
    Calculation is not an issue since there are in HMRC videos as well

Dint understand why you divided £719 with 12?

HMRC says you can apply minimum for 3 weeks

My question was slightly different. Do I have to give myself a Payslip for furlough money? as this will go into my PAYE on HMRC self-assesment. So should the value on the payslip be £92 + furlough for May (05May - 31May)?
    Yes..You can apply for minimum of 3 weeks but you cant apply more than 2 weeks in advance. i.e if you are furloughed today, you have to wait a week to apply (assuming you are applying for 3 weeks worth)...so that the end date is 14 days away.

And yes you still have to do it via Payroll, its still taxable pay, doesnt really apply to us getting £719 but for most perm employees getting max of £2500 there will be Paye and NI to pay on that..its gets more complex too as employers can then claim back the employer NI and the apprentice levy, it gets even more complex if you have pension scheme (although good accountancy software should take care of all this).

My dates are about similar as yours (Furloughed today), my payslip is (calculated using Xero) :-

Regular Hours £170.63 (This is non furloughed pay 1st - 7th may)

Furlough Leave 112.0000 hours £436.83 (This is 80% of 3 weeks pay - today - 31st may)

Regular Hours 10.0000 hours £112.00 (This is the 20% top up)

TOTAL £719.46

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied

My question was slightly different. Do I have to give myself a Payslip for furlough money? as this will go into my PAYE on HMRC self-assesment. So should the value on the payslip be £92 + furlough for May (05May - 31May)?
    Whoops... ignore the 719/12 bit...its just £719

Leave a comment:

• Jake1000
    replied
    What are you using to do the calculations ? Xero, Freeagent and Brightpay have all introduced new software to calculate furlough, Xero & Brightpay did some free online presentations that I found useful.

The Furlough portion would be £719/12 * 0.8 = £575.

*It wont accept a furlough start OR end date more than 2 weeks in the future so I guess youd have till wait till mid may ?

Last edited by Jake1000; 7 May 2020, 10:42.

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied
    What are you using to do the calculations ? Xero, Freeagent and Brightpay have all introduced new software to calculate furlough, Xero & Brightpay did some free online presentations that I found useful.

The Furlough portion would be £719/12 * 0.8 = £575.

I assume youd want to top up the remaining 20% so you still get £719 monthly ? On my Xero package I need to enter this amount as an extra payment like overtime.

I havnt it done it yet (as you cant enter more than 2 weeks in advance*) but I assume youll, like me, then have to put the figures into the gov.uk CJRS site.

*It wont accept a furlough start OR end date more than 2 weeks in the future so I guess youd have till wait till mid may ?

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Jake1000
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    1. Yes if you intend to pay yourself for the period not furloughed

2. Why not multiply £719 by 4/31? That's £92.77
    But there are two payments in May. First is when I was working which works out to be £92.77 and the second is furloughed which would be 80% of (719/31 * 27) where 27 is the days between 5May and 31 May. Should the payslip consist of both these amounts?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    1. Yes if you intend to pay yourself for the period not furloughed

2. Why not multiply £719 by 4/31? That's £92.77

Leave a comment:

• Jake1000
    started a topic Contractor furlough - PAYE query

Contractor furlough - PAYE query

hi,

I am a director of a limited company currently out of any work. I plan to furlough myself and have a simple question on accounts

If I furlough myself for 4 weeks, from 05 May to 31 May

1. Should I have a payslip for myself for month of May?
    2. If yes then what would be the amount on payslip assuming I was working until 04th May? and assuming my salary is £719/month?

Thanks
    Jake

Working...
X