• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stop wasting my time"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    I receive emails from agents with job specs reqiuring totally different skills to what I do saying that if I am interested in applying blah blah blah - I just send them my CV, no covering letter as a reminder not to waste mine and their time.
    What you actually receive is a mailshot that was also sent to thousands of others who match a search they have run in their internal system.

It's way easier for them than targeted emails to specific people.

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Citrix as easy as urine. Just read the book on the way to the interview
    Fortunatly there are a few people around who don't appreciate that

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    If a client wants a Citrix administrator then why not ask for one? At no point on my CV does it say I'm a Citrix admin nor is it asked for in the job description, why interview me?

Agents keep saying my CV is top notch but I keep falling between two stools, I'm getting interviews for the more cerebral roles but nothing for roles I could do with my eyes shut.

I guess this is the 'perfect fit' and 'skill 37' situation people are talking about? I long for the days when they interviewed one guy just to see if he's human then offer within the hour.
    Citrix as easy as urine. Just read the book on the way to the interview

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    You have to remember most of the agents have no idea what the skills they are looking for actually mean, they are just meaningless words to them.

I have a friend who is working at an agency and is doing really well. He has told me lots of interesting stories, for instance how he makes up jobs to harvest CVs. So that when a real job comes up he already has a list of contractors who he can contact and seem super efficient to the client.

Leave a comment:

• ruth11
    replied
    Glad to hear it's not just me then!

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I receive emails from agents with job specs reqiuring totally different skills to what I do saying that if I am interested in applying blah blah blah - I just send them my CV, no covering letter as a reminder not to waste mine and their time.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I get loads for PHP developer, yet shell scripting is my limit and I've never done PHP apart from building SAMP servers, Solaris (proper) over Linux (toy) any day...

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    LOL! Yes, I know the frustration. Agents keep asking me if Im looking for work as a devloper etc. WTF!? Im not a developer!

Just makes me wonder if they are contacting us and sending us to interviews for jobs with the wrong skillset, just who the **** are they sending to the roles we are suited for!?

A colleague of mine reckons a number of contract vaccancies are being given to those ex permies who leave an organisation on Friday and turn up on the monday as contractors (not quite that literally though!).

In fact, there's a thread by someone new to contracting who, although not working for the same organisation, seems to substantiate this.
    I'm sure that's always happened to some degree.

I don't think the recession would see an increase in this kind of activity, would it?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    If a client wants a Citrix administrator then why not ask for one? At no point on my CV does it say I'm a Citrix admin nor is it asked for in the job description, why interview me?

Agents keep saying my CV is top notch but I keep falling between two stools, I'm getting interviews for the more cerebral roles but nothing for roles I could do with my eyes shut.

I guess this is the 'perfect fit' and 'skill 37' situation people are talking about? I long for the days when they interviewed one guy just to see if he's human then offer within the hour.
    LOL! Yes, I know the frustration. Agents keep asking me if Im looking for work as a devloper etc. WTF!? Im not a developer!

Just makes me wonder if they are contacting us and sending us to interviews for jobs with the wrong skillset, just who the **** are they sending to the roles we are suited for!?

A colleague of mine reckons a number of contract vaccancies are being given to those ex permies who leave an organisation on Friday and turn up on the monday as contractors (not quite that literally though!).

In fact, there's a thread by someone new to contracting who, although not working for the same organisation, seems to substantiate this.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    started a topic Stop wasting my time

Stop wasting my time

Working...
X