• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Haven't worked since start day, been told I would be paid?"

Collapse

• jf2010
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I was on a contract at HSBC earlier in the year, it took them 13 weeks to get me a login!!! It was a lovely relaxed summer.
    I wouldn't have believed this before! I thought 3 weeks was long. I got my login today wuuhuu its real

Leave a comment:

• David71
    replied
    4th Jan 2019 to July 31st 2019: paid full daily rate including x2 weeks per month in EU. Project never even had the initial kick-off meeting. Due to the nature of the project and required clearances etc. we were told to just wait for things to get going. They never did.

Most money I've ever made for sitting around, half in the UK and half in the EU, and waiting.

Leave a comment:

• coe123
    replied
    I am in the same predicament - started in November, assigned couple of projects which were then put on hold, the place is in a turmoil since mid December with some hiring and firing at the very top, permies seem to be all looking at each other and waiting for directions. They use the 'practice' model and my other line manager tells me there is lot of work in other areas and they want to hire more people (emailed to team to ask for reference with finders fees etc) - they might reassign me elsewhere but I have a feeling that is all tentative too.

I left my earlier contract midway because I had longed finished the big project I was hired for and was really doing small sundry projects which I felt would me no good in the long run. Easily found this new contract at 10% higher rate but all I did in the last 3 month is to attend couple of team calls a week and absolutely no work of any description. My minimum stay anywhere so far has been 1yr but I don't think I'd stick here much longer if this carries on.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I was on a contract at HSBC earlier in the year, it took them 13 weeks to get me a login!!! It was a lovely relaxed summer.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Personally I would charge and if they refused to way - I would walk out. Don't care that I didn't do any work. They booked my time - they pay for it regardless of whether I did work or was watching netflix.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    In the olden days (of early 2020) if I turned up at an office having been told I would be working and I didn't because of them not doing something I would expect to be paid. However this gets a bit murkier in the era of work from home, although you have taken yourself off the market so would want a fairly quick resolution to this.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And start looking for other gigs. Not unheard of for a delay to turn in to a contract totally evaporating. Don't stop looking until you are sat at the clients (Virtual) desk.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    It may be reassuring to to hear what HR said, but it's not worth a lot. I'd be asking the person who signs/approves timesheets if they are going to do so. Are your timesheets weekly? Have you submitted one for last week? Has it been signed?

Have you asked for work to do, docs to read, and can you evidence that, or have you just been watching Homes Under the Hammer and A Place in the Sun?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 11 January 2022, 11:59.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kloos View Post
    I've also had similar for contracts, both inside and outside IR35, and perm roles.
    According to your posts you've only had one cushtie number and the gig you are on?
    I thought you only started Use your own laptop to attend as many meetings as a guest as you can. Read docs, chase whoever you can. The important bit is to cover your back to make sure you have done everything reasonably possible. .
    He's waiting for access so nothing else he can do. There is a fine line between sitting and waiting and being too pushy asking people to mail docs to external emails and so on which shows a disregard to security policies etc. You can only use your own laptop if the companys policy allows you to.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 January 2022, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Really depends on your situation and contract. If you've got a standard contract it will say that you only get paid with signed timesheet and they won't sign your timesheet because you didn't work then you won't get paid. That's contracting. It's a T&M contract so if you don't work you don't get paid. Standard stuff.

There is some argument that it's their fault so you should get paid but again, if you don't work you don't get paid. Doesn't matter who's fault.

All that said, you've stated you'll get paid by the HR person so really you've answered your own question surely? But then why is HR dealing with contracts? Sounds a bit odd but you haven't told us your IR35/FTC situation which is key.

If they do pay you then happy days, if they don't then that's part of contracting. You can try billing it and have a fight if you want. Other threads on exactly this (and there are quite a few if you search) seem to be 50/50 of 'that's contracting' and 'bill it and see'.

In the old days you could turn up on site and ask someone to print stuff out etc and you'd get paid. In the new days of working from home if you don't have access there is absolutely nothing you can do. We've had a couple of instances where people have had delays like yours and would have got paid by turning up on site but don't because it's WFH.

Last edited by northernladuk; 11 January 2022, 10:46.

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    I've also had similar for contracts, both inside and outside IR35, and perm roles. Use your own laptop to attend as many meetings as a guest as you can. Read docs, chase whoever you can. The important bit is to cover your back to make sure you have done everything reasonably possible. In this role I have been having good old-fashioned phone calls with as many people as possible to get up to speed. Just don't get used to us and get ready for the shift to being busy and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    My previous role was as a Scala/Spark/BigData developer at a large bank.

Machines are accessed remotely from ones desk and all new joiners receive a machine with default specs of 4GB RAM, 2 cores processor.

It took three weeks to get this upgraded to developer spec despite raising the request on my first day.

I had just enough horsepower to read documentation on the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Happened several times to me especially at bigger companies, takes them weeks to get laptop and accounts organised. I just sit at my desk, ask them to print out docs for me to read, join meetings where I can, offer myself to do something and just wait and invoice. This is all when working on-site, remote working may be a bit more difficult

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
    Started on a new contract on the 4th Jan last Tues, basically until now I've only had a few calls with a HR person and a ten minute call with my PM.

Still waiting on my email to be created so have done nothing, not even reading docs etc

This is, every day they have told me that day I would be working, and HR person has said I'll be paid since my start date (4th)

I never had anything remotely similar happen before, sometimes a slow start but you would still work a little

Now every day I expect to be working but end up with nothing

Is it possible /probable I'll be paid? I am wondering as now today they have said it will take another 2 days to start work..
    Are you inside, outside or permanent?
    Have you any written/email evidence from HR that you will be paid, or is it just verbal?
    How frequently do you chase for your credentials to be set up?
    Are you chasing by phone or email?

If you're working with a PM, they should be the one most interested in getting you connected, as it is their project that will be impacted by delays. I'd suggest that you badger them.

Leave a comment:

• Haven't worked since start day, been told I would be paid?

Started on a new contract on the 4th Jan last Tues, basically until now I've only had a few calls with a HR person and a ten minute call with my PM.

Still waiting on my email to be created so have done nothing, not even reading docs etc

This is, every day they have told me that day I would be working, and HR person has said I'll be paid since my start date (4th)

I never had anything remotely similar happen before, sometimes a slow start but you would still work a little

Now every day I expect to be working but end up with nothing

Is it possible /probable I'll be paid? I am wondering as now today they have said it will take another 2 days to start work..

Working...
X