• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Professional indemnity insurance when clients are based in the USA"

Collapse

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yeah, they should've mentioned it, but it also wasn't in their financial interests as they don't provide N.A. cover - you can be sure they would've upsold you otherwise.
    Let's just say I've 'fixed the glitch' with the QDOS Professional Indemnity 'cover' that was on direct debit!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Yeah, they should've mentioned it, but it also wasn't in their financial interests as they don't provide N.A. cover - you can be sure they would've upsold you otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Well, yes, it will be more expensive. It’s completely standard to have exclusions for N.A. Surprised you weren’t aware of this or didn’t check and now have no cover, which is a massive risk when dealing with N.A. clients. That said, I use Randell Dorling, which used to be underwritten by Hiscox, but now Axa. It’s a few hundred quid depending on your PI cover amount. It may not be vastly cheaper than Hiscox, but probably a bit. Kingsbridge is competitive too, IIRC.
    I mistakenly assumed that as QDOS were reviewing the contract for IR35 purposes and then also providing the Professional Indemnity cover, they would be aware that the latter wasn't sufficient for the former. Bit naive there I guess.

Just got a decent quote from Randell Dorling. Thanks for the pointer (and others that mentioned them earlier in the thread).
    Last edited by oliverson; 5 March 2024, 11:31.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Well, yes, it will be more expensive. It’s completely standard to have exclusions for N.A. Surprised you weren’t aware of this or didn’t check and now have no cover, which is a massive risk when dealing with N.A. clients. That said, I use Randell Dorling, which used to be underwritten by Hiscox, but now Axa. It’s a few hundred quid depending on your PI cover amount. It may not be vastly cheaper than Hiscox, but probably a bit. Kingsbridge is competitive too, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    So, just been contacted by client regarding providing evidence of cover as they've been audited and told they need proof for each contractor.

Logged-in to QDOS and downloaded my policy schedule. Whilst cover is provided worldwide it is specifically excluded for jurisdiction of USA/Canada. Reviewing the contract with them, sadly the jurisdiction is USA/Canada.

Phoned Hiscox and they're saying absolute minimum of £ 500 which is over three times the price of my UK cover. Last contribution to this thread is August 2021 so I'm wondering if anybody in a similar situation has an update please? I think having the contract revised to UK jurisdiction would be a non-starter. They have no UK presence and that's the only reason the IR35 reforms don't apply.
    Last edited by oliverson; 5 March 2024, 10:52.

Leave a comment:

• SecurityJay
    replied
    I feel your pain.

We are in the same situation. Did finally get a deal from Lloyds but for £5m cover they wanted £20k, even with a £500k excess.

Biggest kicker as already mentioned is the jurisdiction so we have asked the client to move us to one of their UK/EU subsidiaries.

We were even thinking of setting up a US business but it seems the cost/hassle of setting up in the US + US policy, worked out about the same.

I think we in UK/EU are fairly lucky not to live in such a litigious society.

Another company we know has a policy where the excess = limit of indemnity.

So if there is any claim (up to their £5m limit), they would need to fork out £5m upfront:

1. Their risk must be super low;

2. They have ring-fenced their consulting business so if any claim did arise, they would just shut it down;

3. They tick the box for having that cover, but from a Client point of view (if they knew what they were looking for), would be a RED flag

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

No, not at all. My client is in USA. And I just rung up QDOS explained the situation and took advantage of their standard insurance.

The key factor is that it must be UK law and our courts that applies and not US courts. They don't want any claim to go through American bulltulip courts. Also you contract must state our courts have exclusive jurisdiction.
    Well, yeah, if your contract has UK jurisdiction and governing law of, say, England and Wales. However, it is quite obviously implicit in the OP ("I am finding it almost impossible to find an insurer") that the OP's contract does not have UK jurisdiction and/or governing law of England and Wales.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by seeker7 View Post
    Hi everyone.

Most of my clients are based in the USA now, and I am finding it almost impossible to find a insurer that will cover me for professional indemnity. My insurance broker told me they will need to go through Lloyds of London, and most likely the premiums are going be stratospheric.

Has anyone experienced the same situation? Should I go without PI insurance, given that I work through my limited company and thus have limited liability anyway?

Thanks for any help!

No, not at all. My client is in USA. And I just rung up QDOS explained the situation and took advantage of their standard insurance.

The key factor is that it must be UK law and our courts that applies and not US courts. They don't want any claim to go through American bulltulip courts. Also you contract must state our courts have exclusive jurisdiction.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Randell Dorling via IPSE was the go to recommendation here in that scenario

I don't know if it's possible to go direct.
    Yep. Or Kingsbridge, as it turns out (even cheaper, but in roughly the same ballpark of a few hundred quid per year, depending on level of cover). Not sure who underwrites Kingsbridge. For RD/IPSE, it's Hiscox and you need to have IPSE+ cover to access it whereas you don't need anything for Kingsbridge. Other than those two, it's pretty much (at a sensible premium).

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    I used Hammond Professional back in the day. Typically premiums were 5/6 times higher than non US.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Randell Dorling via IPSE was the go to recommendation here in that scenario

I don't know if it's possible to go direct.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by seeker7 View Post
    Hi everyone.

Most of my clients are based in the USA now, and I am finding it almost impossible to find a insurer that will cover me for professional indemnity. My insurance broker told me they will need to go through Lloyds of London, and most likely the premiums are going be stratospheric.

Has anyone experienced the same situation? Should I go without PI insurance, given that I work through my limited company and thus have limited liability anyway?

Thanks for any help!
    If you can't afford the PI then you can't afford it. Simples.
    What jurisdiction are your contracts under?
    You might want to try US insurance companies.

What is the common method used in the USA? It might be different, or PI might not even be expected anyway. And I think it is called errors and omissions (E&O) insurance.
    Last edited by Lance; 11 June 2021, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• Professional indemnity insurance when clients are based in the USA

Hi everyone.

Thanks for any help!

Working...
X