• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do people still consider working at start-ups?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm not sure if my client is technically a start-up but they're certainly an SME. In fact come to think of it, I have only contracted at SMEs. I've worked at startups of about 3 people. Kind of fun when it's the remote equivalent of "doing it from your garage", lots of freedom and no bureaucracy.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I'd never rule out any type of client outright - they all come with their pros and cons
    Yup, very wise.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I'm going to answer a tenative yes - because I've worked for smaller firms and start-ups but they're probably not what people have in mind. More boutique consultancies - so, really, the work as a contractor is much the same. On the other hand, I don't think I'd ever take a permie job with a traditional consultancy, but might consider going permie with a smaller firm.

Anyway, I've always rather enjoyed it. Had probably one of the best years of contracting (in terms of job satisfaction) through a small consultancy - literally 3 or 4 permanent staff. Great fun, also had a retainer system.

I'd never rule out any type of client outright - they all come with their pros and cons

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Look, startups are risky by their vary nature.
    But good opportunities do exist.
    Key point to consider: You could be in a position where you could not be paid for either or both of substantive and substantial work and the sell on IPR value if you hold it may be negligible.
    They can be lucrative and they can be a waste of time.
    Do proper profiling on the startup. Its not difficult. Get hold of the CV's of founders/staff - easy to do. do some digging - takes a bit of time. Ring round on their linkedin profiles. Do a credit reference check etc etc. Talk to other people they have worked with in the past.
    Then weigh that info up against your risk profile.
    I have a database (closed) with about 200 still valid startups on it alongside the other 9500 or so business and property opportunities worth a total of £3.2 or so billion. I would say that of those 200 10% are very risky. Someone else would say that not only are the 200 risky but all the other 9500 or so opportunities on my list are high risk too. I would say that buying a kebab from a certain local kebab shop to me is higher risk than some of this stuff!
    People also say that Bitcoin is very high risk.
    Bottom line risk is very personal to the individual.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    It's funny I think people always have this impression that tech start ups are these fun places where everyone is using the newest and latest systems and processes... In reality they are growing so fast and no one knows what they are doing that the entire companies run in excel. They have no processes, no systems, when they do implement a system it either fails or they outgrow it in a couple months... They are such a headache and a pain in the ass.

Still would for the right money, I will work almost anywhere for the right price.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The successful one was a newly started consultancy company where one of the directors had an idea for a product.

I wrote it according to his spec. I was paid about 1/3 my normal rate for my time, but received x% of the sales gross income for y years. Netted me a few hundred thousand for a few weeks work + support. Enough to pay off most of the mortgage and create a substantial share portfolio. For the years I was getting essentially passive income, I was also working at top dollar elsewhere.

No one knew if it would fly, but the product became their flagship, enabling them to sell consultancy services on the back of it. It's now a component of a suite of security products massively speeding up creation, deployment and migration of security concepts in SAP.

I got the work because I'd known the director for years and had helped him begin his freelancing career, so we knew and trusted one another. He still had to sell it quite hard to the other directors.

The one that failed was also SAP security related - what killed it was a) an unclear spec and b) the credit crunch. I didn't make a penny on that. But didn't lose anything either, since although we were equal partners, he funded it and I did the development.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Generally good places to be. it's the old, fat and slow companies that have all the bureaucracy and attract pro-bureaucracy contractors... avoid those

If you want to get anything done, go to a startup. If you want to fill in forms to prove you've used a methodology, go to a big company

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    I would consider it.
    It is a risk as often the pay is lower and hours can be high. but then you can say that about many "large" firms!

But the upside can be huge, and you are unlikely to get that upside at the large firm, unless you climb the latter to the top

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Given that NAT is a mod a lot of us have met in real life and you are a mere poster - I would trust NAT at his word.
    And he brought chocolate to the Xmas do

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

Given that NAT is a mod a lot of us have met in real life and you are a mere poster - I would trust NAT at his word.
    Still curious about the figure, 1mil might be a lot for some, others might rethink considering the risk…

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    figures or it didn’t happen.
    also it would be helpfull to get a bit more information on the nature of work, context. I am struggling to find some hope in this world.
    I'd trust NAT if he says something however outlandish as well... but I wouldn't be looking to start ups for hope. They are at best extremely risky. In 2019 90% of start ups failed. If you are struggling and relying on hope you are best keeping away from start ups.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

This!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

That’s my personality I’m afraid. Can’t get rid of it.

also it would be helpfull to get a bit more information on the nature of work, context. I am struggling to find some hope in this world.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    . Maybe you could be a bit more direct without the rest of the rubbish and it will look less like you are just trolling as usual.
    That’s my personality I’m afraid. Can’t get rid of it.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've done it twice. Made a ton of money the second time.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've done it twice. Made a ton of money the second time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X