• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bit of a drama really "two recruiters one job" ew."

Collapse

• jayn200
    replied
    I don't think you did anything wrong by getting accidently placed at same role by 2 recruiters, it happens.

B got you that interview though not A, not that it matters it's not really up to you to decide who gets to place you. That's really between the agencies and the client. Just stay out of it.

I would question how strong your relationship with A really is.. B obviously sold you to the client when A wasn't able to.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Makes no difference when it comes to the rather predictable bun fight I am afraid.
    also misses the point that the client/agency contract will have a clause about the client only being able to get the contractor from the agency who supplied the CV. So that kills the opportunity completely in my mind unless one agency is willing to back down and lose their commission.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    I might be missing something here, but nowhere in the original post was it mentioned that the OP agreed to be exclusively represented by Recruiter A.
    Usually that's something I have always had to send through when being put forward for a role.

If that wasnt the case (it may or may not be), then its fair game no? If the client prefers Recruiter B, there is nothing stopping them going via Recruiter B. You may burn bridges with A but you could turn it around and say its the clients choice.
    Makes no difference when it comes to the rather predictable bun fight I am afraid.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    I might be missing something here, but nowhere in the original post was it mentioned that the OP agreed to be exclusively represented by Recruiter A.
    Usually that's something I have always had to send through when being put forward for a role.

If that wasnt the case (it may or may not be), then its fair game no? If the client prefers Recruiter B, there is nothing stopping them going via Recruiter B. You may burn bridges with A but you could turn it around and say its the clients choice.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    From about 2010. I started taking a very hard line with agents as I was getting majorly annoyed with the way they do business.
    Agent would ring up: "I have this fantastic contract"
    Me: "Who is the client?"
    Agent: "I cant tell you that at this point"
    Me: "If you cannot tell me who the client is, firstly I cannot give you a rate as these are client dependent and b) any discussion could effect other commercial arrangements. I will have to terminate the call"
    50% of the time this would actually work.
    To be fair I was already plotting my exit from IT and was quite happy playing hardball with the agents.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

But equally - neither agency is going to back down when the end result is this candidate is out of the game and you get a second chance to place someone else.
    If you upset the end client I can assure you few will place the next candidate with you as you just blocked their preferred choice! They will just go to someone else on their PSL & both agencies will have to accept that & also both will be unlikely to get repeat business from the end client.....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Not many agencies will ever upset a client over this. In reality a few might make some noise but when it comes down to it most will just move onto the next role as its not worth getting thrown off the PSL for the % they get from placing you!
    But equally - neither agency is going to back down when the end result is this candidate is out of the game and you get a second chance to place someone else.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Not many agencies will ever upset a client over this. In reality a few might make some noise but when it comes down to it most will just move onto the next role as its not worth getting thrown off the PSL for the % they get from placing you!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Be exactly as loyal to the agency as they would be to you. I.e. "not at all".

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    1. You've still got a job offer on the table, which is great as often that ends badly for the contractor
    2. You've got a steer from the client as to their preference
    3. You're overthinking the whole agency loyalty thing. You've 'fessed up, apologised, now move on and start work!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Happened to me once as a contractor. The losing agent tried to sue the client. I had a nice chat with the client's lawyer and confirmed his thoughts, that the agency didn't have a leg to stand on.

A few years later, I was a hiring manager, and got a call from that agency to see if they could place anyone. I explained I don't deal with agencies that sue their clients. I suggested he run my name by his boss.

Ultimately it is for the client to decide which agency to use. Or to use you at all. The losing agent will sell their elderly relatives to place you. They won't blacklist you and if they have a role that you fit, they'll forgive and forget everything at the chance of making money. All A is trying to do is apply pressure so they don't lose the contract. They don't really mean it.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Yeah, same old crap. Recruiters are too vague about the client they are representing of fear of someone else stealing them.

So they overwhelm you with usual BS about how nice the client is and how well they are doing and just how nice it is to work for them... the usual sales pitch. Nothing to blame, they are just doing their job. They just make it up usually based on how gullible you sound.

Blame is not on your side. Just move on with the interview if they are interested, otherwise do not respond to any message apart from lightly worded apology for not figuring out who was the client with both agents. Which I am sure they were trying to conceal.

Have a good one,

Gigi

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Classic story and is usually the way it goes when two recruiters are involved. We get a lot of questions about should someone go with the second company after already applying via the first and we always so no else it will end in a tulip storm. Well most of us do anyway. A couple of people think it's accepable to play the two off and nothing will come of it. PC suggested it once for example... but it rarely works out well. This is generally the expected outcome.

I've been there and it ended with me sitting in the clients carpark waiting to go in for an interview while the agents fought and eventually the client didn't want anything to do with any of us so I got sent home. In my defense one agent was advertising for a financial client in Chesire, the other was for a banking client in Manchester. Ended up being Barclays in Radbroke. Still now I've learnt I make sure I spend a lot more time making sure who the client is and avoiding this situation.

Just one of the lessons of contracting I am afraid. Silly move but you can generally only learn these things in hindsight.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 21 May 2021, 23:34.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    Day or two later, out of the clear blue I get a very irate call from A (understandably) as they've been made aware by the business that they already have my profile. I profusely apologise and email the company, A and B (CC'd) that I cocked up massively and in light of the circumstances it is best A act as my agent. I even went so far as to suggest withdrawing my application completely and take it on the chin as a hard lesson and move on. As you can imagine, B is ringing, emailing and messaging like mad. I sit on it for a bit.
    That email taking sides was a mistake.

The fairest way would have been to ask the client, which of the two agents sent them the CV first? There will be an audit trail, time stamp on the email etc.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Yes, you screwed up, but you shouldn't over-think this. An apology is warranted, but you need to keep your own business at the forefront of your mind and not worry too much about agents because they won't be worrying too much about you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X