• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "FTC Disaster - Tell me it'll all be okay..."

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

or you can come on here and moan and whinge like the rest of us.

qh
    Speak for yourself. It makes me happy doing that.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post

But you can buy a better class of misery....
    or you can come on here and moan and whinge like the rest of us.

qh

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You can't buy happiness....
    But you can buy a better class of misery....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Clarity

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Thanks all - old company came back immediately after interview and offered me the job. No brainer based on reading this thread and my own initial thoughts - excited to have sorted this mess out and looking forward to getting stuck in.

First time through an umbrella, so need to quickly find a decent umbrella co - any recommendations?
    Clarity?

Leave a comment:

• fiisch
    replied
    *Note to self*. Check stickies in Accounting Forum before asking for recommendations

Leave a comment:

• fiisch
    replied
    Thanks all - old company came back immediately after interview and offered me the job. No brainer based on reading this thread and my own initial thoughts - excited to have sorted this mess out and looking forward to getting stuck in.

First time through an umbrella, so need to quickly find a decent umbrella co - any recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Who'll be back on here with neither in no time.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    I'd just do both, like this guy

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-umbrella.html

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

I'd take contract 1 and ride that wave until it lasts.

Leave a comment:

• Sub
    replied

Notice gone in today as it's taking it's toll on my state of mind, interviews lined up early next week.

1. Engagement via Umbrella - £550 a day, former employer from a few years back, was very happy when I worked their previously.
    2. Outside IR35 (via a consultancy) - £500 a day, new exciting start-up with some big names behind it, and a hot topic in the industry.

I know a proper contractor would take 2 over 1 every single day of the week, but my heart is telling me to take no.1...
    Personally, if we would be on the right side of the 6th of April I would go for second one as to me only safe position is to have piles of cash in bank accounts. Higher take home is critical factor for that sort of stockpiling - for me that outweigh cosines of the gig, it's security, lack of politics and many more other factors. It is about selling my time as efficiently as I can so when I face choice between poorly paid work and no work I have option to choose latter one and spend time for loved ones benefit instead.

But right now it can well be that any outside IR35 determination in private sector is worthless as client can easily change it any point of time up to the evening of the 5th of April without any penalty, well, except potentially losing a contractor.

Ultimately, you know better what to do, but this is shaky moment and outside determinations may not stand, especially at new and smallish companies who tend to have fractured picture around legislation in general.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

But you can buy gin...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Thanks chaps. I just wanted to have a moan really

Notice gone in today as it's taking it's toll on my state of mind, interviews lined up early next week.

1. Engagement via Umbrella - £550 a day, former employer from a few years back, was very happy when I worked their previously.
    2. Outside IR35 (via a consultancy) - £500 a day, new exciting start-up with some big names behind it, and a hot topic in the industry.

I know a proper contractor would take 2 over 1 every single day of the week, but my heart is telling me to take no.1...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't think that's right. Dyed in the wool one might but a proper contractor makes a decision based on the best way to generate end to end income and see beyond the day rate. Sometimes there are other factors more important than the day rate so makes a business decision not just a rate based on if that helps.

+1 - every contract I've taken is based on what can I do after this contract, money has never been that important, interesting projects and the contracts options after this one are way more important.

Plus IR35 is only an issue because we are used to using limited companies. For new contractors going contracting will just mean more money and throwing a lot into a pension pot.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I don't think that's right. Dyed in the wool one might but a proper contractor makes a decision based on the best way to generate end to end income and see beyond the day rate. Sometimes there are other factors more important than the day rate so makes a business decision not just a rate based on if that helps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X