• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Employers NI, In or Out of rate?"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Day Rate is the rate to the employer. Same as it has always been.
    No it's not. We see the rate to us after the agency portion. A permie costs the employer about double their salary.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    The issue is that it shouldn't be - the rate displayed should reflect the rate you receive as an employee (i.e. after Employer NI has been deducted).

David Chaplin calls it a Smurf rate as it's something that makes serious sense but allows a whole world of crap dodgy firms to promise more than what the person actually gets.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It doesn’t for permie jobs. So why should it for contractors?
    If you don't understand that, then YANCOTBAC....
    A permie take home will be dependant on student loans and tax code. A contractor rate is a little more complex. You need to find out at point of application. Just like a permie does.
    A permie is not entering into a business transaction, merely settling a comfort factor as part of their potential employment. A contractor is supposed to be agreeing a price for a specific piece of work..

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post
    the ad should simply state what you get paid.
    It doesn’t for permie jobs. So why should it for contractors?
    A permie take home will be dependant on student loans and tax code. A contractor rate is a little more complex. You need to find out at point of application. Just like a permie does.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    Most likely that’s what I’m going to do long term. At least I get three months salary as a redundancy package
    And that's tax free so should last more
    than 3 months

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    No idea what the perm market is in your skillset but it is possible that you'll be able to find a perm job which offers similar money to umbrella at which point I'd just go perm and enjoy all the benefits (and most likely MVL the ltd).
    Most likely that’s what I’m going to do long term. At least I get three months salary as a redundancy package

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    you will get 57% net with umbrella
    I wish. Looks more like 50% from my workings. Guess it depends on the day rate.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    you will get 57% net with umbrella

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Yeah that makes sense - trying to work out my take home pay from a contract via an umbrella is a bloody nightmare.
    No idea what the perm market is in your skillset but it is possible that you'll be able to find a perm job which offers similar money to umbrella at which point I'd just go perm and enjoy all the benefits (and most likely MVL the ltd).

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Actually it does. They should be advertising the rate to the worker from which Employee NICs and PAYE and holiday pay will be deducted (by them or the agency or umbrella). Employer's NICs and Apprentice Levy are the client's costs and not part of the worker's income at all.

Falsely advertising the gross rate (i.e. before all deductions) is what Dave Chaplin has called the smurf rate - attractive but doesn't actually exist. It is also illegal under Section 10 if ITEPA. Even applying GoT's rule of thumb above doesn't work if you don't know the starting point.

But then again, we are talking about agencies here. Truth is a variable concept...
    Surely that is done on purpose so that someone says yes without asking questions like inside / outside, ltd / umbrella and just starts, then realises (or not perhaps) that there's way less money and it goes into their personal account rather than business account, has a re-think, sees the crap market state and just carries on?

As for Employer's NIC being part of client costs, I'm sure we can all agree that the rate will simply be reduced by (accidentally) the same amount as Employer's NIC - so technically not deducted from the rate, it's just that the real rate will be a lower rate. I agree of course that the ad should simply state what you get paid.

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    Back then all of those public sector contractors could just leave and go work in the private sector, which is the main reason they had rate bump ups (after threatening to walk). With the private sector going through reforms now, there's nowhere to run, especially in the current market, so expect to take it on the chin or stay on the bench.
    Yeah that makes sense - trying to work out my take home pay from a contract via an umbrella is a bloody nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    What does the key information document the agency should have given you say?
    I am asking in principle, I am being made redundant and will go back to contracting, sadly inside, probably in November or January.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Isn't it illegal to deduct employers NI from the rate? Not that it matters of course as they will simply say the rate is advertised rate - employers NI...
    Actually it does. They should be advertising the rate to the worker from which Employee NICs and PAYE and holiday pay will be deducted (by them or the agency or umbrella). Employer's NICs and Apprentice Levy are the client's costs and not part of the worker's income at all.

Falsely advertising the gross rate (i.e. before all deductions) is what Dave Chaplin has called the smurf rate - attractive but doesn't actually exist. It is also illegal under Section 10 if ITEPA. Even applying GoT's rule of thumb above doesn't work if you don't know the starting point.

But then again, we are talking about agencies here. Truth is a variable concept...

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    I’ve spoken to a few friends who work in the public sector saying their rates were bumped up when the changes were made there a few years ago to cover that, so the chances are that public sector roles have the NI covered by the employer outside of the rate?
    Back then all of those public sector contractors could just leave and go work in the private sector, which is the main reason they had rate bump ups (after threatening to walk). With the private sector going through reforms now, there's nowhere to run, especially in the current market, so expect to take it on the chin or stay on the bench.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X