• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    that's just for those who have nothing outside of work to take pride in
    Some of us can multi-pride.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Only for those of us who take pride in our work.
    that's just for those who have nothing outside of work to take pride in

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    And is this a bad thing for contractors? This way of working is what makes 6 months projects last for 18 months; it's what fattens up our warchests and pays off our mortgages.
    Only for those of us who take pride in our work.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Or...

Attracts permietractors who spend all they earn and go bankrupt when the gig suddenly ends
    Some people need to learn the hard way.

Know a guy, ex colleague, who was on £475 a day for 24 months; didn't save one penny, his contract didn't get renewed just after he got tied in a 12 month lease for a very expensive house. The poor guy had to take a 30k a year permie salary and take out several wonga loans to get him to his next paycheck.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, aka your typical front-end dev

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    And is this a bad thing for contractors? This way of working is what makes 6 months projects last for 18 months; it's what fattens up our warchests and pays off our mortgages.
    Or...

Attracts permietractors who spend all they earn and go bankrupt when the gig suddenly ends

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Retail seemed very much a case of "we've always done it this way, no matter how wrong it is" with no desire to improve.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Probably off-brand. Fallen into the "hoover" trap there.
    Vetran has a few threads in General about that.
    Last edited by Old Greg; 29 June 2020, 15:19.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Proper Blu Tack, or a cheap off brand alternative?
    Probably off-brand. Fallen into the "hoover" trap there.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I've not heard anything good about contracting in IB. If you're not part of the old boy's club, it can be very much a bunch of snarky insiders who will obstruct you at every turn. Yeah the pay can be excellent but be prepared to have no life and be treated like tulip.

By contrast, retail banking can be ok if you're in the right team with decent management support but they have no money so everything is stuck together with sticky tape and bluetac.
    I found it to be completely the opposite. Get in there, given them the professional working day that you've been contracted to deliver and foxtrot oscar to the Henry Addington, The Gun or somewhere on West India Quay while they're still grafting to try not to get turned down for their promotion bid to VP.

Retail seemed very much a case of "we've always done it this way, no matter how wrong it is" with no desire to improve. Using SQL Server 2005 in 2017, etc. with a mad scramble to get it upgraded (but only to 2008.....) and an illusion that Excel as a reporting tool won't get you audit points.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I've not heard anything good about contracting in IB. If you're not part of the old boy's club, it can be very much a bunch of snarky insiders who will obstruct you at every turn. Yeah the pay can be excellent but be prepared to have no life and be treated like tulip.

By contrast, retail banking can be ok if you're in the right team with decent management support but they have no money so everything is stuck together with sticky tape and bluetac.
    Proper Blu Tack, or a cheap off brand alternative?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    What made it horrible?
    This was investment banking, and I was contracting, pretty ruthless environment with stressed permie managers at their desks 8-6 minimum and watching you like hawks. Just not a nice place to work, no laughs allowed.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I found the banking sector just a horrible place to work fullstop, I wormed my way in but then wormed my way back out asap.
    What made it horrible?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The banking sector as a whole are not renowned for being amazing employers. Other sectors are available.
    I found the banking sector just a horrible place to work fullstop, I wormed my way in but then wormed my way back out asap.

Yes good post BritishLad88. If you are still at the stage of having money worries then I'd be going Perm. In the 90s you could earn double, maybe even triple what your permie Team Lead was on and no IR35 worries. Once it's getting to paying almost the same and possibly worse if you are forced to pay full NI then.....
    Last edited by rootsnall; 29 June 2020, 11:12.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I think I can sum this all up as:

A great perm job is better than a tulip or no contract
    A great contract role is better than a permie role.

If it's a toss up between a tulip perm role and a tulip contract, I'd take the contract.
    I'd also offer the thought that if you're a contractor, you're a contractor; take the contract.
    If you're feeling like your skillset is becoming niche, bite the bullet, go perm for a few years to reskill then go contracting with your new skill. Or get your own ltd to pay for your (relevant) training, or even pay for it yourself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X