• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bu**er - the "in my mind, they'll never go for it" figure to stay has been offered.."

Collapse

• radish2008
    replied
    I think the baby Jesus would say ...

... "Cash is King ..."

Leave a comment:

• Ascot
    replied
    Originally posted by ImaginativeTruth View Post
    And don't be swayed by a client desperate enough to offer you stacks of cash to get them out of a hole, to them, its a plaster to apply until they can replace you.
    This ^^^^^^
    Getting your notice a month into an extension would blow the whole idea out of the water.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I would definitely go if the next contract opens up further opportunities in the future through providing additions to your skillset. Think further ahead than just your next contract.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    Id take the increase myself.

Love a warchest boost.

We all love a warchest boost, but at what cost?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mjcp View Post
    Ha! That would be fun... I might even stay at *that* point... might add that they would need to cover any breech of contract issues... that arose...

Hey ho, new contract singed and I get to interview my (interim?) replacement tomorrow... who will cost less than the gold plated carrot field they offered to bump me by, so sense is returning.

Mj
    You should have stayed in the old contract and subbed it out.

Leave a comment:

• mjcp
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Go back and ask for another £175 pd.
    Ha! That would be fun... I might even stay at *that* point... might add that they would need to cover any breech of contract issues... that arose...

Hey ho, new contract singed and I get to interview my (interim?) replacement tomorrow... who will cost less than the gold plated carrot field they offered to bump me by, so sense is returning.

Mj

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Fain heart.

May as well round it up to a Grand
    You need to get there incrementally. Then you ask for a princess crown to wear at client site.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I’d stop bullshiiting...
    And attention seeking....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Fain heart.

May as well round it up to a Grand

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mjcp
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    the extra £1000/week!
    What he said ;-)

but as others and I have mentioned... a 2 1/2 month bench spell would all but wipe out the bump...

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why are you even contemplating staying?
    the extra £1000/week!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by mjcp View Post
    It will be a $h1tty gig for 6 months
    Why are you even contemplating staying?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I would probably stay because the myth of the next job being great is just that, at least IME. You get there and it's the same old sh**e, might as well stay and take the cash....

Leave a comment:

• mjcp
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

Tell them that you are willing to do what you can within the constraints of your new role to help them, that the new guys can contact you with questions. Tell them if it is going to be more than an hour a week that you'll need to reach an agreement on a retainer or some other fee structure, but you are glad to smooth the transition as much as you can.

At worst, they should respect your reasons for going. At best, they pay you a little bit to access that organisational memory, you get a nice little money spinner on the side for not much effort, you keep a relationship that could mean a nice lucrative contract in future, and you get an institutional reputation of "he's the guy we lost by taking too long to give him an offer, that if we could have kept him this might not have gone down in flames."

And if you do get a nice little agreement with them, it probably makes it more likely that HMRC chases someone else on IR35 cases. In fact, just the very fact of proposing it to them is acting like a business, not like a employee. It won't really change your IR35 status at all, but it's the kind of thing you put in your IR35 dossier and bring it out if they ever start harassing you about it.
    Yup... pretty much the conversation I have just had with the current agent. The use of it as an IR35 defense hadn't occurred to me but every little helps :-)

cheers,

Mj

Leave a comment:

Working...
X