• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK-based Poles call for revolt against having to apply for settled status"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    That's the right-wing spirit, blame an entire section of society for the actions of an individual.
    I specifically indicated an individual, not an entire section of society, you dummy!

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Urgh, I didn't vote for Brexit because I don't like immigrants, but for you I'll make an exception.
    That's the right-wing spirit, blame an entire section of society for the actions of an individual.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Indeed, I'll keep my EU passport and I have permanent residency in the UK
    Urgh, I didn't vote for Brexit because I don't like immigrants, but for you I'll make an exception.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

oh feck!

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Yes it has been possible. The same as it has been possible for thousands of British immigrants to apply for Spanish citizenship, or French citizenship, etc.

Given the choice between exercising a treaty right to live somewhere (free) and applying for citizenship to give you no different rights (not free), which one would you choose?
    Applying for British/Spanish/Dutch/etc citizenship also means giving up your original citizenship. It is not that many countries that allow dual citizenship.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    UK-based Poles call for revolt against having to apply for settled status

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    well an astute person might have weighed up the legal strength of each, and given the history of the UK being not fully integrated into the EU, e.g. we didn't adopt the Euro, might have concluded that applying for British citizenship might have been the better option. Surely looks that way now.
    Opt outs don’t negate the treaty rights, so “astuteness” was not required.

As I said, it works both ways. Hence the flurry of applications for German/French/Irish etc citizenship by Brits.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well whatever your views on the Brexit vote, at least you can't argue with this tangible benefit.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Yes and I did so, but stopped the process after the Brexit vote
    Well whatever your views on the Brexit vote, at least you can't argue with this tangible benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it always been possible for foreigners who liked this country and wished to live here could apply for British citizenship? Or were the rules too onerous?
    Yes and I did so, but stopped the process after the Brexit vote

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Yes it has been possible. The same as it has been possible for thousands of British immigrants to apply for Spanish citizenship, or French citizenship, etc.

Given the choice between exercising a treaty right to live somewhere (free) and applying for citizenship to give you no different rights (not free), which one would you choose?
    well an astute person might have weighed up the legal strength of each, and given the history of the UK being not fully integrated into the EU, e.g. we didn't adopt the Euro, might have concluded that applying for British citizenship might have been the better option. Surely looks that way now.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it always been possible for foreigners who liked this country and wished to live here could apply for British citizenship? Or were the rules too onerous?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    A Polish chef who has worked with Mary Berry and Jamie Oliver is leading a revolt by UK-based Poles against the Home Office’s requirement that EU citizens apply for settled status as part of Brexit.

More than 7,000 people have signed a petition launched this week by Damian Wawrzyniak on the UK government and parliament website to change the wording of the settlement status process from “application” to “registration”. At 10,000 signatures, the government must respond.

Wawrzyniak, a former chef at Noma in Copenhagen who has worked in Britain for 15 years and established his own UK restaurants, originally backed Brexit on the basis that it would make it easier for restaurants to select British produce ( ). But he has changed his mind and says he will ultimately refuse to apply to live in the country he now calls home.

Backing has already come from the food writer Nigel Slater and the MP for Tottenham, David Lammy, who tweeted that “future generations will be appalled that to appease the hard right we made EU citizens apply to stay in their own homes”.

UK-based Poles call for revolt against having to apply for settled status | UK news | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Lets be honest, they have to provide id and show that they haven't got criminal convictions.
    No, that’s not all that needs to be done.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    isnt that what i said?
    No mate.

Originally posted by woohoo
    Lets be honest, they have to provide id and show that they haven't got criminal convictions.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    No, they have to provide ID and declare Criminal Convictions. Then a decision is made.

So, snowflakes, what is the problem?
    isnt that what i said?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X