• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008"

Collapse

• administrator
    replied
    This thread is continued here:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...58-fa2008.html

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by the gallows View Post

I see. So that means you can't tell from the online portal which years HMRC are alleging have an enquiry. Therefore if they opened an enquiry but the letter got lost I wouldn't know.
    If there are enquiries open and they have issued closure notices the tax years will show monies owing for those tax years. If you have enquiries open but no closure notices then the portal will not show you this.

Leave a comment:

• the gallows
    replied
    Online portal

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
    I've 3 years with enquiries open, but only one of them (09/10) shows as anything owed online (suspended on appeal). The others are 'in scope' for me I'm sure, but just not showing as such online. The 09/10 year I was specifically sent a letter/bill for - the other two years were just the enquiry letter at the time and, many years later, nothing else since. (This is all for EBT though, if that matters in this respect)
    I see. So that means you can't tell from the online portal which years HMRC are alleging have an enquiry. Therefore if they opened an enquiry but the letter got lost I wouldn't know.

Leave a comment:

• Ooops
    replied
    Discovery enquiry and closure.

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Discovery is when they are late. (Nothing to do with late filing)
    Sorry I know you have posted loads on this!

If a Discovery is opened do they still need to send an formal "opening enquiry" letter before they can send a closure notice?

So I read this (from DR) but not sure if it's different if they open a discovery.

"For each year you were in the scheme, HMRC should have sent
    you:
    1) a letter opening an enquiry
    2) a Closure Notice (CN)

CNs are only valid if they apply to a year you were actually in the scheme and HMRC opened an enquiry for that year.

Likewise for APNs."
    Last edited by Ooops; 10 March 2015, 21:45. Reason: More detail

Leave a comment:

• PeterF
    replied
    I've 3 years with enquiries open, but only one of them (09/10) shows as anything owed online (suspended on appeal). The others are 'in scope' for me I'm sure, but just not showing as such online. The 09/10 year I was specifically sent a letter/bill for - the other two years were just the enquiry letter at the time and, many years later, nothing else since. (This is all for EBT though, if that matters in this respect)

Leave a comment:

• the gallows
    replied
    Online portal

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    No, there isnt any detail on when notices were sent, you can just see the tax years and amounts.
    When I look in the portal I can see each tax year. But there is no indication that I have any tax years open? However I have got an enquiry for two of the years. Those years look like all the other years except the numbers are slightly different.

A bit frustrating as I would like to know if the other 2 years have enquiries but I don't want to ask HMRC directly. Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I heard from Ruth at tiger aspect. No broadcast date for their documentary yet.

Leave a comment:

• TAF4
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    <snip>Class 4 NIC included in the various notices is a tricky one. Class 4 relates to profits from self employment. key words there "profits" and "self employment".

the underlying assumption from HMRC appears to be that the loans constitute profit from a self employed activity. Really?

<snip>
    Confused a bit by this. Loans?
    S58 applies to Family Trust benefits. Does this Class 4 distinction described apply to the S58 retro victims?

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by stuffed View Post
    Is this part on the portal in regards to the notices and when they were posted to us?

NB: to get to the information on your tax years and debts:

"Your HMRC Services"
    "Services you can use -> Activate or access online services"
    "Self Assesment" -> Access Service
    "View Account"
    "Tax Years"

Then select whichever horrible year you like
    No, there isnt any detail on when notices were sent, you can just see the tax years and amounts.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Catching up a bit here as the day job is becoming more important now that I'm self employed.

Class 4 NIC included in the various notices is a tricky one. Class 4 relates to profits from self employment. key words there "profits" and "self employment".

the underlying assumption from HMRC appears to be that the loans constitute profit from a self employed activity. Really?

If they think you're self employed then you can claim expenditure. The gross income is not subject to NI.

If the core argument is that the loan is disguised employment income, there should be no Class 4 NIC.

HMRC can't have their cake and eat it on this one.

Challenge the assumption and use it as grounds for a representation on the APN. Wait until about a week before it's due and send a letter.

(Happy to draft something if required - caveat though - I would like to see some data in exchange - no fee).

If you're contacting HMRC and asking then to prove that they have issued notices, do it in a letter that is sent registered post and give them a deadline to respond by - normally 30 days.

Discovery is a tricky subject. A lot will turn on what HMRC was told and how. I'll have a think about doing a simplified note on this 9as I'm doing something similar for a fee paying client). Do NOT assume that putting the DOTAS SRN on your return protects you from discovery. It may do but it may not. The question is referred to in a couple of recent cases still going through the system but no proper answer yet.

Leave a comment:

• stuffed
    replied
    Found it, but not the bit where it says when the notices were supposedly sent?

Is this part on the portal in regards to the notices and when they were posted to us?

NB: to get to the information on your tax years and debts:

"Your HMRC Services"
    "Services you can use -> Activate or access online services"
    "Self Assesment" -> Access Service
    "View Account"
    "Tax Years"

Then select whichever horrible year you like

Leave a comment:

• stuffed
    replied
    Where on the portal??

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    just register for HMRC online, you can then look at all your tax years and amounts suspended pending appeal.
    I log onto my portal and I remember it used to be there. But now I don't see anything. What section is it all under - the wonderful debt and details about when you received the noticves from HMRC? Step by step guide would be great.

PS: I presume I am in the right portal.

Your account | The Online Government Gateway account that you use to access HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Online Services has the following contact details:

Then lists your full name and Email address???

Leave a comment:

• patbikeruk
    replied
    Getting a copy of all letters from HMRC

Hi Guys

What is the best way to get a copy of all of the correspondence HMRC has sent you in relation to the years they have queries on?

Can you do it over the phone, email or do you have to write?

Can somebody please let me know the best way.

Thanks

Patbikeruk

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by slogger View Post
    thanks Brillo, yep - or maybe a section on ntrt website worth having? - hard to filter the noise.
    ntrt website! in the member section! great idea!

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    As per DR's post a while ago you should email db and TQ.

This thread is getting ridiculously long. It needs a new thread - with most salient points(like contacting MP, getting CTD, potted history) in the first post.
    thanks Brillo, yep - or maybe a section on ntrt website worth having? - hard to filter the noise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X