• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unfair Termination of contract?"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    I disagree with this. In my experience, it is very often that people lack the "cojones" to speak honestly.
    Upon reflection, you are correct. My misplaced faith in humanity overtook me for a moment. Must be the time of the year.

I won't let it happen again

Leave a comment:

• CiderEagle
    replied
    This is a wind up

1. OP's first ever post
    2. Posted once on this thread and never came back - if it was genuine he'd be answering the questions at least.
    3. I'm the mildest-mannered person on here and my first reaction would have been a sarcastic "are you serious"?

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    In as much as life is unfair.

Not exactly a legal argument, however.
    Ah right got you, in other words it is only unfair if the person feels like it is

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    How is it unfair???
    In as much as life is unfair.

Not exactly a legal argument, however.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    ... Rarely is it because they lack the cojones to speak honestly. ...
    I disagree with this. In my experience, it is very often that people lack the "cojones" to speak honestly.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Unfair? Quite possibly but sadly almost certainly sound legally.

Smile sweetly for a week, enjoy Christmas and find something in the new year.
    How is it unfair???

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Topboy View Post
    Do I have any grounds against the company?
    Nope. Smile and wave, move on to the next job. Keep in touch with your old company, you never know when they may have some more work come up for you.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Unfair? Quite possibly but sadly almost certainly sound legally.

Smile sweetly for a week, enjoy Christmas and find something in the new year.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by KittyCat View Post
    Probably not KC

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Hang on now isnt the bottom line that its just tough titty?

The client/agency can do as they see fit. They dont have to explain anything. They even gave the OP a paid notice period which is more than some get.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    There is, of course, the question of whether or not the Visa system was abused, in the replacement of a worker. They're not really allowed to do that ya know
    People have many reasons for not telling you the truth. Rarely is it because they lack the cojones to speak honestly. Usually, it's because they are either hiding something (in the case of replacing you with an ICT) or because they don't want to hurt your feelings.

The OP said they gave notice because the work was finished. What the OP didn't say was whether in their opinion, it was actually finished. That should provide a clue. If the work the OP was taken on to do was finished early and the other bod was parachuted in to do something else then there is no issue. If the work wasn't finished, why didn't the OP discuss that at the time they were notified and at least before they left?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    There is, of course, the question of whether or not the Visa system was abused, in the replacement of a worker. They're not really allowed to do that ya know

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by prozak View Post
    This has to be a wind up.
    I second that. I mean, how is it "unfair"? Either they adhere to the terms of the contract, or they didn't. In this case, they were obligated (under the contract) to give you a week's notice of termination of said contract, which they duly did.

Now, the reason as to why they did that is neither here nor there. You're not an employee. They can terminate your contract (with the contractual notice period given) just because they don't like the look of your face, or if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction if they please!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Probably.

But if I think it's a question that could help someone else in a similar situation, then I'll answer it properly.

Too many trolling questions will get them banned, however.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Topboy View Post
    Hi

Was on a 6 month contract. Given a weeks notice as per contract in month 5. Told thanks for all the good work, did a great job but was not needed anymore as my work was complete.

Found out another contractor has been moved from another country to replace me and the work i was doing. Apparently he was unhappy working in other country.

Whilst under contract the company paid for certain things for me such as hotel.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Topboy
    This has to be a wind up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X