• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC letter regarding mismatch between P45 & P14 given in self assessment"

Collapse

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Good point, maybe DT lost his job before the end of the tax year and so didn't receive one.

In that case, as others have said, he needs to use the figures from his personal tax account
    Yes I moved back to Ltd company contracting with same client as they were not more enforcing Umbrella for contractors.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    You don't use the P45 for your SATR. You're supposed to use the P60 for that.

The P45 shows what your YTD deductions were and your tax code so the new employer knows what to set up when you start work.

The P60 gives the total of all tax and NI deductions made for a given tax year.

It's no wonder, as you used the wrong figures from the the wrong form on your SATR, that your entries don't match with the payroll year end figures from the umbrella.

Numpty.
    I didn't get any P60 from this Umbrella employer!

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Which tax year are HMRC querying? >> ended in Apr 2020
    Were you with the umbrella the whole of the tax year? >> No just for 3/4 month, then umbrella was no more mandatory and took option to switch back to Ltd company contracting
    Did you have any other income that year apart from their salary? e.g. dividends, interest on savings, etc? >> Yes, but HMRC letter clearly says issues is with this Umbrella as employer and discrepancy is between my return (based in their P40) and Umbrella's P14 showing nearly double the amount.
    Did you put any transactions through your old Ltd?> Yes once out of Umbrella I gone back to Ltd company with same client
    Have you checked your tax code - both the one on your pay slips, and the one HMRC are quoting? If you switched companies and not checked, it may well be wrong.
    Have you checked your P60? > HMRC clearly says issue is with Umbrella employment ie mismatch b/n my return income (from P40) and figure from P14 of this Umbrella employment
    P45 only covers the particular employment. P14/P60 also cover other income from previous employments.>> I included other employments as well to the return, HMRC letter quote issue is when this Umbrella is employer

Based on your history, I suspect you're not telling us the whole story, or have embellished parts of it.
    >> Nope

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I would contact the umbrella and put to them what HMRC put to you and demand an explanation of the discrepancy.

If you don’t get an acknowledgement of the discrepancy and an explanation, I would name them on here and go after them on Twitter. Big umbrellas don’t like the paying public to realise that they’re as dodgy as feck.
    Ok. worth looking at this option , at least first part.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

What does the paye section on your hmrc personal tax account say?

It's hard to advise beyond that as you haven't said what hmrc is expecting you to do about it..
    HMRC corrected the tax amount because of these difference in numbers and in effect updated tax to new amount. Given option to reject it, in which case I need to explain and provide supporting documents. I checked my P45 which shows the amount I put in self- assessment. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

does your employer provide a P60 when you leave though?
    I know they do at year end, but if you're not with them at year end what happens then?
    Good point, maybe DT lost his job before the end of the tax year and so didn't receive one.

In that case, as others have said, he needs to use the figures from his personal tax account

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

I know they do at year end, but if you're not with them at year end what happens then?
    You log on to the Gov Gateway. All the information is on there. Even if you don't have a P60 you can supply your accountant will all the information and they roll it up. Currently going through this with my other half who's been teaching through a number of brollys in the last tax year. Gotta say, it got really complicated but the Gov Gateway got us out of a proper mess.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    You don't use the P45 for your SATR. Your supposed to use the P60 for that.

The P45 shows what your YTD deductions were and your tax code so the new employer knows what to set up when you start work.

It's no wonder, as you used the wrong figures from the the wrong form on your SATR that, they don't match with the payroll year end figures from the umbrella.

Numpty.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    You don't use the P45 for your SATR. You're supposed to use the P60 for that.

It's no wonder, as you used the wrong figures from the the wrong form on your SATR, that your entries don't match with the payroll year end figures from the umbrella.

Numpty.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 15 September 2021, 11:10. Reason: I hate using my mobile phone on this forum, too many typos

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I didn't think they used a P14 anymore. Didn't RTI make this redundant in 2013?

Have you checked your Gov Gateway account to see what it says on there?
    Good point - the P60 is still around, even though the P14 isn't.

Of course, it's also possible that this relates to car park charges or something unrelated.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I didn't think they used a P14 anymore. Didn't RTI make this redundant in 2013?

Have you checked your Gov Gateway account to see what it says on there?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    I used a 'Big' Umbrella company when there was changes in IR35 rules in 2020 my client forced all contractors to use Umbrella company. I moved on from this 'Big' Umbrella and as you expect received P45 from them at the end as well. I used Income shown in P45 as Income in my self assessment. Now HMRC is saying from employer' s P14 document shows my income amount as double of what shown in P45!!!

How this could happen? What should I do now..? I checked again and amount shown in the P45 only I shown in my self assessment.

Any help/guidance much appreciated.
    Which tax year are HMRC querying?
    Were you with the umbrella the whole of the tax year?
    Did you have any other income that year apart from their salary? e.g. dividends, interest on savings, etc?
    Did you put any transactions through your old Ltd?
    Have you checked your tax code - both the one on your pay slips, and the one HMRC are quoting? If you switched companies and not checked, it may well be wrong.
    Have you checked your P60?
    P45 only covers the particular employment. P14/P60 also cover other income from previous employments.

Based on your history, I suspect you're not telling us the whole story, or have embellished parts of it.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I would contact the umbrella and put to them what HMRC put to you and demand an explanation of the discrepancy.

If you don’t get an acknowledgement of the discrepancy and an explanation, I would name them on here and go after them on Twitter. Big umbrellas don’t like the paying public to realise that they’re as dodgy as feck.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    I used a 'Big' Umbrella company when there was changes in IR35 rules in 2020 my client forced all contractors to use Umbrella company. I moved on from this 'Big' Umbrella and as you expect received P45 from them at the end as well. I used Income shown in P45 as Income in my self assessment. Now HMRC is saying from employer' s P14 document shows my income amount as double of what shown in P45!!!

How this could happen? What should I do now..? I checked again and amount shown in the P45 only I shown in my self assessment.

Any help/guidance much appreciated.
    What does the paye section on your hmrc personal tax account say?

It's hard to advise beyond that as you haven't said what hmrc is expecting you to do about it..

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Which is correct - the P45 or the P14? You know how much you earned from your payslips from 'Big', so presumably you can figure out what tax is owed? Have you talked to 'Big'. They may not be your employer anymore, but they still need to explain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X