• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Share buy back

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Share buy back"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    The whole point of the Transactions in Securities legislation for close companies is to avoid such shenanigans by preventing a taxpayer from gaining a tax advantage through a capital distribution. So, no, you can be almost certain that it won't work. However, if a close company wants to buy back shares for one of the (several) shareholders to **retire** from the business, that would probably work.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Google tells me why it won't work

Company share buyback - Gannons Solicitors

HMRC conditions for capital taxation of the profit made by a shareholder
    • The shareholder must have held the trading company’s shares for five years;
    • The departing shareholder’s holding must substantially reduce;
    • There must be a solid business case; and
    • The buy back cannot be a part of a tax avoidance plan.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    started a topic Share buy back

Share buy back

Ok. This a wheeze. Probably never going to fly but I'm interested as to why not.

Rather than take dividends from my Co. how about the company buys back shares? This would be capital so attract CGT, with a £10k allowance and 20% tax. Obviously no use if staying under the c. £50k threshold, but if paying a lot can it work?
    It wouldn't be a liquidation so trade can continue.

I assume BADR wouldn't be claimable so leave that to one side.
    To be any use long term more shares would need to be issued at some stage but at the very worst that could only attract tax based on the capital value and the figure at that point would be subtracted from the buy back figure as CGT is paid on the gain only.

What have I missed?
    I guess GAAR might be an issue.

Working...
X