• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SIPP Pension contributions - 2 Directors"

Collapse

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It doesn't have to be from retained profit, or profit at all, as pensions are an expense.

Putting the company into a position where it cannot afford to pay its creditors is a problem but not related to pensions per se.
    It's no different to office costs, postage, new laptop, salary etc.
    Pension contributions are different. If the total remuneration (i.e. including salary) is unusually large, HMRC can challenge it was only done for tax avoidance and so disallow it as an expense.

There used to be a page about it HMRC's manual (is that still online?), basically clarifying that it was not a problem for a single fee earner if the total remuneration was covered by profit, but otherwise could/should be referred for review.

The same could be said for carrying back the partner's contribution to make it a £120k/£40k split where the profit was earned was 50/50.

HMRC probably have more pressing things to worry about atm, though I wouldn't want to risk it without professional advice, and by that I mean not from a financial advisor working for commission and who will be long gone by the time HMRC wake up after several year's worth of contributions.

Leave a comment:

• aneecha
    replied
    Hi All,
    Thank you for all your replies and they answered my queries.
    I meant moving 40K each to 2 different SIPPs.

BR.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    yeah. That.

IANAL.

Given what happens in April, the OP would be unwise to make the company insolvent. In fact it is always unwise if it's avoidable. Not that OP is suggesting this, nor do I think you are suggesting it but there are details around what you can and can't do.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Well. Apart from trading when insolvent is illegal.
    Are you thinking of Wrongful Trading?

Is Insolvent Trading Unlawful?

Here again, there may be a fine line between wrongful trading and insolvent trading. If the financial difficulties can be determined as temporary, or temporary in the eyes of the director, then it is probably not unlawful. Wrongful trading, on the other hand, has statutory rules and regulations and it is indeed unlawful to trade if there is no hope of recovery. This is where Real Business Rescue provide the support and advice needed during these times. There is legislation which governs wrongful trading and the penalties can be harsh.

What Is Insolvent Trading and Wrongful Trading in Business?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yes, I was talking more as recommendation rather than what is possible; obviously, there's nothing to physically stop someone transferring all their company's cash into their pension and potentially knowingly leaving the company trading as insolvent.
    Why would you make a recommendation that might not be possible?? You are getting in to Sime's world there.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Yes, I was talking more as recommendation rather than what is possible; obviously, there's nothing to physically stop someone transferring all their company's cash into their pension and potentially knowingly leaving the company trading as insolvent.
    Well. Apart from trading when insolvent is illegal.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    It doesn't have to be from retained profit, or profit at all, as pensions are an expense.

Putting the company into a position where it cannot afford to pay its creditors is a problem but not related to pensions per se.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 9 February 2021, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I am. 100% sure. Read here -

Frequently Asked Questions | Dentons Pensions

Is it possible to open a SIPP in joint names?

Answer - No, a SIPP is for an individual.
    Explained nice and clearly.

Is it 40k£ for individual director and 80K in total.
    SIPPs cannot be joint names. Presumably the OP knows that.
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm not so sure about that.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

read your post that NLUK was responding to again.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I'd say its more correct to state it doesn't have to be from profit, but retained profit (rather than cash). eg, if the company had £20K in the bank, but that is needed to pay off CT, then be careful before sticking that into a pension.

Also, OP, if you or your wife were a member of any registered pension scheme over the previous 3 years, you can carry forward £40K from these years and pay that into your SIPP (even though the SIPP has just been opened).

See Carry Forward Annual Allowance

And remember you can pay £40K each now, and the same again from April 6th.

Last edited by Lance; 9 February 2021, 09:54.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    And you don't have to have profit to pay into a pension, just cash.
    I'd say its more correct to state it doesn't have to be from profit, but retained profit (rather than cash). eg, if the company had £20K in the bank, but that is needed to pay off CT, then be careful before sticking that into a pension.

Also, OP, if you or your wife were a member of any registered pension scheme over the previous 3 years, you can carry forward £40K from these years and pay that into your SIPP (even though the SIPP has just been opened).

See Carry Forward Annual Allowance

And remember you can pay £40K each now, and the same again from April 6th.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 9 February 2021, 08:44.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    And you don't have to have profit to pay into a pension, just cash.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    And into different SIPPs.
    OP has recently opened one SIPP so might have an idea of dumping all £80k into it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X