• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Money transfer for an MVL"

Collapse

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Originally posted by gremlinsky View Post
    I've tried to do everything I could to check them out.
    The set up a liquidation account for me and I transferred £5 into it and rang them to check it was there and to send me a screenshot from their side.
    The lady I've been speaking to is on LinkedIn and the job title all ties up.

I just can't help being cautious as if I initiate the transfer then the liability is on me.

Anyhoo - the money has gone to SFP now so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed....
    How much money is involved in this MVL?

For service and cost balance Maslins seems the obvious choice to me. I've only heard good things.

Leave a comment:

• meeta SFP Group
    replied
    Money transfer

In all liquidation cases, the liquidator requires an estate account, so that assets of the company can be realised.

We at SFP recommend that the company’s bank balance is transferred to this account prior to the liquidation in order for them to undertake an initial distribution of 75/80% to shareholders the next practical day after liquidation.

If the client feels uncomfortable with doing so, they can leave the company’s bank balance in its existing account. Once the liquidator is appointed, we can then write directly to the bank to request the funds.

This would, of course mean that the initial distribution to shareholders would not be able to completed the day after liquidation and could only be completed once the funds have been received from the company’s bankers, which can sometimes take a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• NeedTheSunshine
    replied
    Hi there - My accounts (Brookson) have recommended SFP to perform my MVL.

SFP are asking me to transfer the money remaining in my business account to a liquidation account they have set up for me.

Is this usual ?

It seem horribly like what a phishing email would say.

G
    I did this with SFP in 2016. It was all fine and the first distribution was speedy.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    If you value speed above control and are prepared to pay for that speed, I’m sure that it will probably be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Yep because of the recommendation fees paid.
    Yes, though as those are against liquidator rules, it will be dressed up as something else.

About once a month MVLO get a call from an accountant like the below:
    "Hi, I've got some clients needing an MVL, what commission do you pay for referrals?"
    "Afraid we're not allowed to pay referral fees, but hopefully with our good reviews and competitive fees you'll still consider recommending us as a good option to the client."
    "Oh, XYZ liquidators charge the client double what you do, but they pay us £500 per referral, so we'll be recommending them."
    [sigh]"Ok, thanks for your call."

Of course XYZ liquidators will strongly deny paying a referral fee. They'll claim it's a justifiable fee payable to the accountant for doing lots of really important work.

The even worse one is when the client becomes aware of a cheaper liquidator, suggests them to the accountant, and the accountant then decides they'd need to charge an extra £500 to the client themselves if any liquidator other than their recommended one was used.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    I just can't help being cautious as if I initiate the transfer then the liability is on me.
    Indeed. This isn't normal/best practice as I've suggested in other threads. However, from a practical perspective, it's a workaround to speed up company funds getting from your company to the liquidator. Otherwise you're normally waiting something like a month for the bank to process the liquidator's request, whilst the bank goes through their various checks/processes etc.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    SFP Appear to be genuine. Otherwise Brookson and Intouch wouldn’t recommend them. You should however call them directly to confirm the details to transfer the money as email isn’t secure.

However they do seem a lot more expensive than competitors.
    Yep because of the recommendation fees paid.

Leave a comment:

• gremlinsky
    replied
    I've tried to do everything I could to check them out.
    The set up a liquidation account for me and I transferred £5 into it and rang them to check it was there and to send me a screenshot from their side.
    The lady I've been speaking to is on LinkedIn and the job title all ties up.

Anyhoo - the money has gone to SFP now so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed....

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    SFP Appear to be genuine. Otherwise Brookson and Intouch wouldn’t recommend them. You should however call them directly to confirm the details to transfer the money as email isn’t secure.

However they do seem a lot more expensive than competitors.

Leave a comment:

• gremlinsky
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    So do some simple security checks.

Ask your accountant to give you the name of a person at SFP or look them up on linkedIn

Then phone them in person to confirm everything is OK
    Yup - done that.
    I just wondered if anyone knew if this was common practice.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

SFP are asking me to transfer the money remaining in my business account to a liquidation account they have set up for me.

Is this usual ?

G
    So do some simple security checks.

Ask your accountant to give you the name of a person at SFP or look them up on linkedIn

Then phone them in person to confirm everything is OK

Leave a comment:

• gremlinsky
    started a topic Money transfer for an MVL

Money transfer for an MVL

Is this usual ?

G

Working...
X