• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Starling now integrates with FreeAgent"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    4 new Starling transactions today - all 'guessed' correctly by FA when synced.

And Yes, I had previously used manual statement uploads and ticked the "Guess my transactions" box, so I "guess" that's it
    Yup, did the manual upload + enable workaround yesterday and sure enough a new transaction today was automatically guessed.

Bit pissed off with FreeAgent claiming it "wasn't supported" and trying to say this was something for Starling to fix (does FreeAgent's API even allow them to fix this) when all it needed was a magic switch to be turned on.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    4 new Starling transactions today - all 'guessed' correctly by FA when synced.

And Yes, I had previously used manual statement uploads and ticked the "Guess my transactions" box, so I "guess" that's it

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Further explanation which might explain why some people have this working.

"Guess" needs to be enabled on a bank account for auto-explanations to work. This is enabled when you check the "Guess my transactions" box when you *manually upload a statement*. This is the only way to enable this setting. If you previously enabled this when manually uploading transactions prior to setting up Starling integration, that would explain why your auto-imported transactions are guessed correctly.

They have suggested a workaround of manually importing a statement and enabling this setting. I am waiting for new transactions to confirm this works.

It does make you wonder though why they cannot simply add a checkbox to the bank account settings called "Enable auto-guess for API imported transactions".

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Had a transaction go through Starling account today, appeared in FA pretty much immediately and 'guessed' correctly. All good for me
    I've just been told by FreeAgent support yet again that this isn't possible.

This is their bulltulip response, completely passing the buck to Starling when clearly this is something FreeAgent should be responsible for:

Unfortunately, as the feed comes through the FreeAgent API which Starling used to build the integration, you won't have the option to enable Guess I'm afraid.

I have also double checked with my colleagues in the Support Engineering team and they have confirmed that this function has never been something that can be used with the integration.

As the Guess function can't be enabled, you will have to manually explain each bank transaction in your account.

The alternative would be to disable the integration and manually upload your statements where you will be able to activate the 'guess' option.

I would suggest letting Starling know about this and perhaps they can log how many requests they receive for this feature so they can investigate whether it's possible for them to support in future.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Had a transaction go through Starling account today, appeared in FA pretty much immediately and 'guessed' correctly. All good for me

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Strange, as mine are guessed correctly, unless I've never used the vendor previously....
    I assumed the reason it wasn't working is because it isn't a normal banking integration that FreeAgent have built from their side - it's built entirely from Starling's side (so I assume they are pushing data to FreeAgent using FreeAgent's APIs). I'm hoping this is a stopgap solution as FreeAgent are starting to roll out open banking feeds and moving away from Yodlee and Starling will almost certainly support open banking feeds.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Strange, as mine are guessed correctly, unless I've never used the vendor previously....
    It doesn't guess any of mine, even really obvious transaction descriptions like "MR CYCLING PROGRAMMER - SALARY - £AMOUNT THAT MATCHES PAYROLL RECORD".

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    They have fixed their integration with freeagent now.

Now moving money to and from 'spaces' does not show up as a transaction at all.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you've got a custom catagory for coke and hookers it should make a difference whe you have to change dealers or pimp.

Leave a comment:

• fiisch
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Bumping old thread but has anybody else realised that FreeAgent's Starling integration doesn't support automatic guessing of transactions like all other FreeAgent bank feed/imports since...well forever? I noticed none of my transactions were being guessed correctly and when I raised this with FreeAgent support I was told "Guess feature isn't available on the Starling integration".

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Bumping old thread but has anybody else realised that FreeAgent's Starling integration doesn't support automatic guessing of transactions like all other FreeAgent bank feed/imports since...well forever? I noticed none of my transactions were being guessed correctly and when I raised this with FreeAgent support I was told "Guess feature isn't available on the Starling integration".

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Starling debit card has a £10k transaction limit on it. Must try and remember that when paying next year's corp tax

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    The starling dev on twitter says he’s working on making spaces work properly with the freeagent integration.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
    Create a new bank account in FA and call it something like "Starling Corporation Tax Space". Then when the transaction goes through as a withdrawal in FA, categorise the transaction as a transfer to another account.
    I have done similar for several non-banking, loan-type arrangements to third-parties. It's very straight forward and keeps everything nice and neat.
    HTH.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    Anyone got an idea how to make this work in Freeagent, or is the spaces thing as weird as it sounds and just shouldn't be touched?
    Create a new bank account in FA and call it something like "Starling Corporation Tax Space". Then when the transaction goes through as a withdrawal in FA, categorise the transaction as a transfer to another account.

Not sure what interest Starling pay, but wouldn't you be better off having a different bank account elsewhere so that you can earn something on the sum you have in there. Aldermore have reasonable rates on a 1 year fixed term at the moment, or they have a flexible rate for flexible durations. No FA data feed though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X