• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SJD Accountancy Online Software"

Collapse

• Waldorf
    replied
    Different service levels are usually a way of extracting more cash from their clients, especially newbies who are more nervous. If the basic package doesn't cover what you want then I'd go to an accountant who does provide what you want. Never underestimate the power of agencies in directing their candidates to accountants who reward them.

If an agency is really keen on a particular accountant I'd steer clear and ask a friend or existing contractor.

Leave a comment:

• lants
    replied
    SJD - Too many mistakes, too expensive, too many changes in accountants (the good ones never stick around for long) and very poor customer service.

Avoid !!!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    Just in the process of switching to FA now - I'm pretty impressed with it so far.
    I don't know anyone who wasn't impressed to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Just in the process of switching to FA now - I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Recommend Clare Wilson at Gorilla, I switched from SJD because the prices just kept going up and I know I have very simple accounts. Inertia and thinking it would be grief kept me at SJD.

They handled all the information transfer, I hate paperwork but freeagent is manageable once you get your head round, imports all your bank details etc just have to explain the odd one.

Always good at reminding me to do stuff and very quick response to queries.
    If you want the accounts stuff and don't need detailed financial help, they are a good shout and 30 notes a month is better in your account than someone elses.

Leave a comment:

• Michael at BI Accountancy
    replied
    Just noticed the SJD re-brand and with it a new price structure

Maybe to align with the ClearSky merger?

Got to say the "Contact Us" menu button is a little annoying on the row below!
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 August 2021, 17:23.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    Thanks, but the spreadsheet is not bad enough that replacing it is enough to overcome my inertia.
    Fine, I guess it depends on a) How much you value your time. b) How much you can potentially save each month going elsewhere compared to your spready accountant. c) How much value you place on knowing exactly in real time what your assets and liabilities are in your business and d) How much value you place on being able to switch accountants quickly, cheaply, easily and with no loss of data or continuity. Entirely your choice of course.

Leave a comment:

• Darren at Fox-Bartfield
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

So if you take the free trial, and then sign up top an accountant that wraps FA into their package do you get to use the same account ?

Also - anyone have any experience of Dynamo in Leeds ?
    Yes, the trial account could be moved straight across to the accountant as Alan says. The accountant would make a request to FA who would then confirm directly with the account holder for security purposes. Whole process is very quick depending on the response time of the account holder.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    [QUOTE=radish2008;2418764]

So if you take the free trial, and then sign up top an accountant that wraps FA into their package do you get to use the same account ?

[\QUOTE]

Yes

Leave a comment:

• Lambert Simnel
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Well, the option you are looking for, that meets your requirements, it's out there. Take a free trial and see what state of the art contractor book keeping cloud software looks like.
    Thanks, but the spreadsheet is not bad enough that replacing it is enough to overcome my inertia.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Well, the option you are looking for, that meets your requirements, it's out there. Take a free trial and see what state of the art contractor book keeping cloud software looks like.

Also - anyone have any experience of Dynamo in Leeds ?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    Must admit that I also rejected it and asked to stay on the old spreadsheet. It's not that the spreadsheet is that great, to be honest, but the online software was so clunky that I would likely change accountants if SJD were to insist on its use. The apparent lack of data portability to another accountant (if necessary), preferably with the ability to retain local copies of the data, is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. But, honestly, I can't imagine anyone who had actually run a contractor limited company was involved in the acceptance testing of the software - it felt like your requirements had all been written from the accountant's side of the picture.

Leave a comment:

• Lambert Simnel
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon C View Post
    Hi Simon C here at SJD. Sorry to hear that you are not impressed. We are planning big improvements to both functionality and usability of SJD online, tho' the responses from most clients has been positive so far, we do have some that still prefer to remain with the both traditional and familiar spreadsheet. If you would be so kind to private message me with a list of your issues, I will feed this back to our development team. Client feedback like yours will help us improve the service that we provide. Many Thanks/Regards Simon
    Must admit that I also rejected it and asked to stay on the old spreadsheet. It's not that the spreadsheet is that great, to be honest, but the online software was so clunky that I would likely change accountants if SJD were to insist on its use. The apparent lack of data portability to another accountant (if necessary), preferably with the ability to retain local copies of the data, is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. But, honestly, I can't imagine anyone who had actually run a contractor limited company was involved in the acceptance testing of the software - it felt like your requirements had all been written from the accountant's side of the picture.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    I would have a mind to agree with the latter part of your post particularly and not just in your line of business. Overall, it is probably a bad idea to make huge sweeping statements about it.

Where my opinion has developed the last few months is that now that what seems like a player heading for a significantly large chunk of the cloud software business for contractors, then the correct choice of the platform is just as important as the choice of accountant. Why? Simply because being able to swap accountants easily and quickly from within a pretty large choice of candidate firms with no loss of continuity or data will make people far less tolerant of poor service and/or high prices. The development of cloud software is, in my opinion a game changer in more ways than one.
    I completely agree Fred, I think the choice of software is just as important as the accountant now more than ever. Freeagent is a great piece of software as you, and a good number of others know, as it provides so much functionality that is needed for Contractors. It also has the benefit as you say of allowing the moving of accountants to be almost pain free meaning service levels have to stay at the upper end or clients will just move elsewhere.

I also feel that in the next couple of years if MTD gets fully implemented then (in my opinion) Freeagent will gain even more traction among contractors and accountants.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
    Would you think it was a fair point to say that the quality of service is, in most cases, probably more linked to the size of the firm and how much direct involvement the owners have in the company? Where the owners are more closely involved the quality levels normally being higher than where there are external investors/PE firms involved who on the whole want to maximise profit levels and growth? Just a point for discussion perhaps?

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    I would have a mind to agree with the latter part of your post particularly and not just in your line of business. Overall, it is probably a bad idea to make huge sweeping statements about it.

Where my opinion has developed the last few months is that now that what seems like a player heading for a significantly large chunk of the cloud software business for contractors, then the correct choice of the platform is just as important as the choice of accountant. Why? Simply because being able to swap accountants easily and quickly from within a pretty large choice of candidate firms with no loss of continuity or data will make people far less tolerant of poor service and/or high prices. The development of cloud software is, in my opinion a game changer in more ways than one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X