• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Business bank account for someone with poor credit history and/or CCJ's?"

Collapse

• mikedefieslife
    replied
    I probably confused things by first talking about the MSE forums.

But yes, two completely different websites about money saving. It's nothing to do with Martin Lewis' moneysavingexpert.com which is now owned by moneysupermarket.com

Too many websites starting with money.

Anyway, in addition to the accounts listed. Tide is also favourite, especially now they have full FSCS protection via Clear Bank. Here's a tide business account review after almost 7 years of usage.
    Last edited by mikedefieslife; 14 January 2024, 10:57.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by mikedefieslife View Post
    From looking at the boards at MSE, there's a fair few people been turned down for the Natwest Foundation account, which you can only get by first applied for a regular account, then being accepted at Santander. The latter seem keen to grow the number of businesses on their books.

How have you been finding them a few months in?

Hopefully the IPSE will do something and try and petition a bank to create something akin to a basic business account. For others struggling to open an account it's important not to keep applying willy nilly, as rejection at one bank only makes it more likely to be rejected elsewhere.

Minor point - your link is to "Money Saving Answers", which is nothing to do with "Money Saving Expert" and Martin Lewis. I'd be careful with that link if it is trying to pretend to be part of MSE.

Leave a comment:

• mikedefieslife
    replied
    Bad credit business bank accounts

From looking at the boards at MSE, there's a fair few people been turned down for the Natwest Foundation account, which you can only get by first applied for a regular account, then being accepted at Santander. The latter seem keen to grow the number of businesses on their books.

How have you been finding them a few months in?

Hopefully the IPSE will do something and try and petition a bank to create something akin to a basic business account. For others struggling to open an account it's important not to keep applying willy nilly, as rejection at one bank only makes it more likely to be rejected elsewhere.

Have a read through the guide below, on steps to take to improve your chances of getting accepted.

How to open a business bank account bad credit history

For comparison you can try

Business bank account comparison
    Last edited by mikedefieslife; 2 May 2022, 08:59.

Leave a comment:

• nigelbb
    replied
    Originally posted by Vurso View Post
    This was also the case with Co-Op who said that the CCJ needed to be 6 years or older (?).
    CCJs only stay on the Register of Judgments for 6 years so will drop off your credit history after that time. This is in line with the general principle that debts older than 6 years are unenforceable so defaults on credit cards etc also drop off your credit history after 6 years. What the Co-op are saying really is that after 6 years they won't know about your old expired CCJ.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If anyone wants to recount their troubles opening a bank account, this appeared in my Twitter feed just now:

https://twitter.com/teamIPSE/status/704340650422980608

Leave a comment:

• Vurso
    replied
    Originally posted by jamespoole View Post
    Yes!!

Saw that just after I had posted.
    No mate still valid advice as someone else will be reading these posts.

I secured my first contract under my new company now I need to get my head down and work hard!

Thank you all

Leave a comment:

• jamespoole
    replied
    Yes!!

Saw that just after I had posted.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you read the thread @jamespoole you would notice the OP has an account.

Leave a comment:

• jamespoole
    replied
    You will be doing yourself no favours with constant applications to banks. They can all see each others applications and they will be aware that you have been refused and follow suit.

You can choose to go with one of the cash-plus accounts, but prepare to be limited in what you can do and charged for every step you take. I would always recommend against them, but in some cases they can be a necessary evil. Do not put money for a Ltd company into yours or anyone else's personal account! The implications can be significant and you can end up doing more harm than good.

Your final option is to just have a savings account in the business name. You can get a cash card which means you can draw funds in and out and it will be in the business name. You wont be able to make card payments initially, but having a funded account in the business name will only help you to re-apply with them in six months when you have proof that the business is earning money.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Thank you for the replies.

Lisa I was considering the Umbrella company but I wanted to take the risk and see if I could get myself set up (both a ltd company and a business bank account).

I am happy to inform that Santander came back with a positive and have provided me with a business bank account and a business saving account (including associated cards).

I was genuinely surprised didn't expect them to say yes so I am going to stick with them and its free banking for 18 months so I can't complain in that respect (I will still look at Cashplus /Cardone as a future option if I need an additional bank).

Thanks,

T
    Result Well done

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied

Lisa I was considering the Umbrella company but I wanted to take the risk and see if I could get myself set up (both a ltd company and a business bank account).

I am happy to inform that Santander came back with a positive and have provided me with a business bank account and a business saving account (including associated cards).

I was genuinely surprised didn't expect them to say yes so I am going to stick with them and its free banking for 18 months so I can't complain in that respect (I will still look at Cashplus /Cardone as a future option if I need an additional bank).

Thanks,

T
    That's a big surprise. I really didn't expect any joy on high st. Well done. But, don't just stick with them for the free trial period. As the only one willing to take a punt on you, you should be a customer for life. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Vurso
    replied

Thanks,

T

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I understand your comment about the potential advantages of a Ltd Co but it sounds as though you are in a bit of a financial muddle - an umbrella company could be a good alternative for you until you get straightened out

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    CashPlus is as good as you'll get. No extras. But you can't have more than £15k in account at anytime. High street banks won't touch you.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Hi,

As per the title I have the dilemma of trying to set up a business bank account for my limited company but I have some very bad credit history (due to fraud by a business partner in the past) and an active CCJ (defaulted on a mortgage).

Long story short I want to set up a business bank account and I was advised by several sources to try banks like Metro Bank (refused), Natwest/RBS (pending application but they want details on the CCJ) and card based services like Card One Banking who do not do credit checks.

Are card based business accounts safe and anyone had good/bad experiences?

I need a simple account to receive money so I can work as a contractor and receive the associated tax breaks etc for having a business with a business bank account.

If the above fails can I still receive money on a personal account e.g. my wife is also a director on the company and she has an active personal bank account, could we receive money into that account (I know more hassle to sort the accounts out later on though) or do we have to have a joint account to match the directorship on the company i.e. two directors and it needs to be linked to that company?

Thanks in advance,

T
    I'd give up on Natwest. I bank with them and it was though to get the account set up and I am squeaky clean.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X