• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whats your views on Budget 2015?"

Collapse

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere (I'm sure one of the post police will be along with a hearty KUATB if it has) but this article addresses the "inside or outside of the tax free allowance" question. Do the ISA comments have any relevance to Ltd company structures?
    Yes if YourCo floats on a recognised stock exchange then it would be eligible.

One thing the Times article did not mention is that many BigCo.'s already facilitate dividend tax avoidance for private investors, typically through use of the personal CGT allowance - a practice which seems to go completely unchallenged.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Indeed, all speculation and educated guesses at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    but this article addresses the "inside or outside of the tax free allowance" question. Do the ISA comments have any relevance to Ltd company structures?
    Contractor Calculator said the same thing, but I don't know if either of them actually knows. I saw an accountants' discussion in which they drew the same conclusion, but they said it hadn't actually been stated for certain yet.

I can't see how the ISA comments would be relevant.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Which cases? Are you taking the fact we typically pay very little NI into account?
    You are right this time. By the time employer NI is considered, there is no case in which limited company contractors pay a higher rate of tax than the tax paid on PAYE employee compensation.

The marginal rate gets pretty close at higher earnings.

Leave a comment:

• meanttobeworking
    replied
    Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere (I'm sure one of the post police will be along with a hearty KUATB if it has) but this article addresses the "inside or outside of the tax free allowance" question. Do the ISA comments have any relevance to Ltd company structures?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-avoid-it.html

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
    *IF* the Contractor Calculator write-up is 100% correct, in some cases us contractors will be paying more % wise in tax than people on PAYE, which is astounding.
    Which cases? Are you taking the fact we typically pay very little NI into account?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    "Ordinary" investors are starting to whine. Not that it matters, methinks. Landlords will be whining too, as will nondoms, those receiving tax credits, ...

Leave a comment:

• Wijay@WISAccountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
    That Contract Calculator link is by far and away the most comprehensive and well explained review of yesterdays changes I've read (I'm including InTouch's latest email/PDF in that group too). Thanks PerfectStorm

I somewhat (now) naively thought that we wouldn't do too bad out of this current Gov. as they seemed to be using a lot of fairly positive rhetoric about businesses like ours. They keep on banging on about a flexible workforce (of which us contractors are a part of) yet now they deliver us a big kick in the gonads. *IF* the Contractor Calculator write-up is 100% correct, in some cases us contractors will be paying more % wise in tax than people on PAYE, which is astounding. I've not got a good feeling at all now about the upcoming IR35 review, it could well be the final nail in the coffin. As far as the PGCE are concerned, they've been led up the garden path by the Gov.

N.B. The devil will be in the detail. I'm sure it'll be a week or two whilst the accountants do their work to figure this all out, there's quite a few changes in there.
    Well said...I think if you go into detail - benefits of Flat rate VAT, ability to employ spouse are still attractive. I agree it's not the same saving as current but this always better than PAYE option.
    PCGE/IPSE needs to do more to push the agenda for contractors...

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied
    Newbie alert!

I've been reading on here for some time, but signed up today to add two comments:

1) as a new contractor (just over a year) I'm not chuffed with the budget, but I still earn a lot more than I would as a perm, so I'm not throwing my hands up about this, as it will have an impact, but not enough to make it even close to consider anything drastic

2) Have the Gov not considered VAT in all this? If I was a perm they wouldn't get a tasty 14% slice of my rather large (for one person anyway) pie... Seems a bit daft when they get 14% of everything, 20% of most of it via CT and finally x% of the rest via income tax...

Surely that is WAY more than they could get from us all going PAYE?

Leave a comment:

• MrWebDev
    replied
    That Contract Calculator link is by far and away the most comprehensive and well explained review of yesterdays changes I've read (I'm including InTouch's latest email/PDF in that group too). Thanks PerfectStorm

I somewhat (now) naively thought that we wouldn't do too bad out of this current Gov. as they seemed to be using a lot of fairly positive rhetoric about businesses like ours. They keep on banging on about a flexible workforce (of which us contractors are a part of) yet now they deliver us a big kick in the gonads. *IF* the Contractor Calculator write-up is 100% correct, in some cases us contractors will be paying more % wise in tax than people on PAYE, which is astounding. I've not got a good feeling at all now about the upcoming IR35 review, it could well be the final nail in the coffin. As far as the PGCE are concerned, they've been led up the garden path by the Gov.

N.B. The devil will be in the detail. I'm sure it'll be a week or two whilst the accountants do their work to figure this all out, there's quite a few changes in there.
    Last edited by MrWebDev; 9 July 2015, 14:19. Reason: N.B. Added

Leave a comment:

• Dan@OrangeGenie
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

But honestly, if my accountant put up fees because of increasing complexity, I'd shrug and say, "Can't blame you." The service he provides me is worth more to me now than it was yesterday, it would be churlish of me to quibble over a couple hundred pounds a year extra, if that's what he does.
    Wow, really, can I have you as my client!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by javadude View Post
    And that was simplifying dividend taxation?
    Just imagine what he'd do if he wanted to make it complicated!

Leave a comment:

• javadude
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Nice writeup:

Contractors are to pay an extra 7.5% tax on dividends from April 2016
    And that was simplifying dividend taxation?

Leave a comment:

• Wijay@WISAccountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanielGenieAccountancy View Post
    Looking for the positive angles, nice work Wijay...
    Got to look for that silver lining..:-). Thanks for your input into this threat - highly appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Wijay@WISAccountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by Snarf View Post
    National minimum wage does not apply to family members of the employer living in the employer’s home.
    agreed if that the case Osbourne will argue employer allowance is not applicable...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X