• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract in Amsterdam: client to pay for flights, hotel, or both?"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by towcester View Post
    Thanks, folks! Got enough of a sense of this now to ask that client pay for travel & accommodation.
    Might be worth a punt quoting two rates: one if they arrange the needful, another if they don't. Assuming they decide to hire you, you end up with two possible outcomes:
    • They take on the costs, and probably put you in a good but sterile hotel designed for accommodating work units on business trips, and possibly miles from anywhere interesting;

• You take on the costs, whereby you can find some fleapit with character in an interesting district, and pocket the difference.

So pitch your lower rate at a level that prices them out of the 432-room hotel next to a roundabout adjacent to some godforsaken "business park" near the airport's freight terminal, and your higher rate at a level that still allows you decent city centre accommodation and a good evening meal on those weeks when the fleapit is already fully booked during your sojourn.

But of course there's always the risk of pricing yourself out of the gig. The only fix for that is making yourself indispensable

Leave a comment:

• towcester
    replied
    Contract in Amsterdam: client to pay for flights, hotel, or both?

Thanks, folks! Got enough of a sense of this now to ask that client pay for travel & accommodation.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Not likely, friend.. :-)
    So there is only one answer you are looking for regardless of the norm. Time to negotiate.

Leave a comment:

• towcester
    replied
    Contract in Amsterdam: client to pay for flights, hotel, or both?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Are you willing to do it if you have to pay?
    Not likely, friend.. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Hi all,
    In discussion with a UK-based agency ref contract opportunity in Amsterdam. Agreed rate, then agent emailed back to ask me "does the rate we just discussed include flights, etc?" I'm surprised she was asking me -- but what's the norm here? Is there indeed a norm? The company knows the agent engaged is in UK, and recruiting from UK -- so can it be assumed from that that company is expecting to pay travel and/or hotel expenses? Etc, etc..: please help!

Btw, my plan is to commute weekly from London to Amsterdam. I have a ltdco, against which I have completed one much-extended contract.

Many thanks,
    Towcester
    If the rate is already "agreed" then obv. answer is "no, flights etc. not included". See what they come back with and be ready to negotiate.

Could be they pay directly for expenses; YourCo pays and re-charges to client at cost; YourCo pays and bills for expenses at a flat rate; or you say it's included in the day rate. If you have a preference then propose it to the agent.

I don't think there is a norm.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    what's the norm here? Is there indeed a norm?
    There is no norm, only negotiation and agreement / walking away.

can it be assumed from that that company is expecting to pay travel and/or hotel expenses?
    No.

When you quoted the rate, what were you expecting it to include? The rate that you give the agency might include flights, accommodation, both or neither - the agency just wants to make sure that when / if they pitch your rate, you aren't suddenly going to turn round and try to sting them for flights and accommodation on top of that.

For all my contracts, I have set my daily rate based on working in one location. The client is expected to pick up all expenses which arise from them requiring me to be in a different location from the one we agreed on. If I'm feeling nice, then I will only charge the additional costs rather than total costs.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Are you willing to do it if you have to pay?

Leave a comment:

• Contract in Amsterdam: client to pay for flights, hotel, or both?

Hi all,
    In discussion with a UK-based agency ref contract opportunity in Amsterdam. Agreed rate, then agent emailed back to ask me "does the rate we just discussed include flights, etc?" I'm surprised she was asking me -- but what's the norm here? Is there indeed a norm? The company knows the agent engaged is in UK, and recruiting from UK -- so can it be assumed from that that company is expecting to pay travel and/or hotel expenses? Etc, etc..: please help!

Btw, my plan is to commute weekly from London to Amsterdam. I have a ltdco, against which I have completed one much-extended contract.

Many thanks,
    Towcester

Working...
X