• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well, 1 day into 'self investing' my pension pot, I'm 1K down. Dammit!

How the f*** did you manage that?

I split it into 10 chunks of £500 plus the profit from RMG and went with some of the Motley Fool's advice.

That £5315 is now worth £5566, so a slight increase. My best one is BTG which cost me £498 and is now worth £710. The rest are a distinctly mixed bag

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
    In-keeping with recent news, I've always wondered how investment in tech to produce my own BitCoins would fair against inflation.
    Could I churn out enough BitCoins? Maybe.
    If I invested over time (compound) on CPUs, I could churn out more and more BitCoins.

Anyone know how this BitCoin stuff works?
    You'll need lots of GPUs / cloud resources to mine them. Plus then you still have to hope that there is nothing in the algorithm which means that they can be hacked. Or that people steal them somehow (guessing your password to your wallet would be a start, which is why you want multiple wallets to store them in). And hope that the price doesn't plummet, like it did this week when the US seized a load of them from Silk Road.

If you want some decent information on Bitcoins as a background and where to start, then you could do worse than reading the most recent quarterly edition of 2600 which has a couple of articles in there.

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    In-keeping with recent news, I've always wondered how investment in tech to produce my own BitCoins would fair against inflation.
    Could I churn out enough BitCoins? Maybe.
    If I invested over time (compound) on CPUs, I could churn out more and more BitCoins.

Anyone know how this BitCoin stuff works?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by zerointeractive View Post
    Sell it when it reaches the desired increase you want to achieve.
    The minor flaw in that is that it may not within a desired timeframe.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Is there a punchline to this thread?

Leave a comment:

• zerointeractive
    replied
    Gold prices are low at the moment. You can invest in buying some gold and keep it for 4 to 6 months and sell it when it reaches the desired increase you want to achieve.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by garnet View Post
    I was considering buy to let property, but while this might bring ~10% ROI, it is too much hassle..
    Hassle free, > 5%, low risk investments don't exist.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by garnet View Post
    Hi all

first let me tell you I am not familiar with any investment options and even worse I consider myself to have very poor financial operations knowledge. In one word noob when it comes to money and how to invest it.

Having said that leaving the money in the bank earns me 0.1% interest while the real life inflation is 7+%. How much the banks charge as loan's interest is another topic. grrr

So the question is how to invest some of my savings and have 5-6% return on investment per year?

I am not hazardous type so I high risk investments are not for me.

I was considering buy to let property, but while this might bring ~10% ROI, it is too much hassle.

Any ideas appreciated.
    I suppose it comes down to how much you want to invest, and what your position is so far, are you thinking for a pension and so can take advantage of the relief offered withing that wrapper?

Hoping for 5-6% returns you will need to accept some risk, for example a "safe" ISA will only pay out 2.5% if you are lucky.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X