• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: thick-cut ribeye steak with chips, fried onions, and beans

That steak has been in the freezer since last July

Tasted OK though. As part of the process of trying not to become even more overweight than I already am, I've been trying to cut down my portion sizes to accustom myself to eating less. The result is that I find one of those big steaks a bit much to handle so nearly half of it is left, which will go into a butty tomorrow or Sunday

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    At about 15.45 I got a bit bored and so HWMBO and I took a stroll to the shops as I needed to buy a couple of birthday cards. The selection was decidedly sub-par. On the way back we popped into Morrisons for the essentials: gin, tonic and ice.

HWMBO is now prepping dinner.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Right, that's me done - let the weekend commence!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    becoming part of the furniture? good stuff!
    Our erstwhile admin warned me when I started that I'd probably end up there for years

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    becoming part of the furniture? good stuff!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch was a Pukka steak slice. Not quite as excellent as a Greggs steak bake, but still nice

Still sunny though filtered through high hazy cloud out, but also nice enough

I'm having a fairly easy day of it today. The PaaS offering on which everything runs has been deprecated so everything needs to migrate to a new AWS-based PaaS devised within the department before next year. As our thing is a bit of an oddity, being a kind of API-based glue between internal and external services and also being small and uncomplicated, I was able to get us bumped well ahead of more major stuff in the queue and will be migrating next week. So I'm just going through their guides on migration prep, which so far largely consists of making sure our docs are up to date (they weren't) and that various bits of cruft that have accumulated are tidied away. The downside of getting into the early access programme is that they won't be able to offer us any more than minimal support afterwards as they'll be busy moving the big stuff. But in this case, "us" means me, and I'm fine with that. So although this prep work is a bit dull, it means we're more likely to get it sorted out in the couple of days they're giving us, which will make my life easier down the line

This also potentially serves me well in the future as this project will be coming to an end and getting handed off to somebody else to keep running before long. My new-found expertise in coping with the platform migration will then make me a valuable catch for other teams who've yet to go through it, thereby improving my marketability within the department

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Sunny and dry with wispy cloud. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 20 expected. Barometer up to 1030 mBar.

Yesterday HWMBO and I went out for cocktails and dinner. A lovely time was had.

Today I am mostly job hunting while looking busy.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Friday.

Dry.

Wanly sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Breezy.

Chilly inhere at 14.5 deg, 13 deg in the kitchen, 14 deg in the leanto, 12.7 deg in the salting house.

1024.5 mBar, 30.2534 in Hg, 768.44 Torr, 14.859 psi, (down from 1025 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 71% RH (Lidl electric).

Shirts & smalls in the WM.

Shirts & smalls out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Cottons in the WM.

Meanwhile on the 16th of September 2019 NF had pork & apple sauce in a bap, most unusual, while there was discussion of Alzheimer's disease sufferers (other dementias are available including the vascular kind that offed my mother (and probably my grandfather too)), with a side serving of "A Bright Shining Lie", 800 pages long, which led thusly to something lighter: "The Mighty Micro" of immortal memory from the dear dead days beyond recall when the 8086 was A New(ish) Thing, the book having been purchased from the library at Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde on Ye Hill for 20p, while the TV series is on youtube in all its glory, with the presenter gradually moving from his natural hair to a wig as his chemo progressed. He popped his clogs before the book came out.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine. Saw my shadow a couple of times.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: whatever it was that replaces Y&Y on a Friday, warbling on about something or other.

TWATO.

Shirts in off the line, roughly iRoned & duly airing upstairs.

Entertainment during this was The Infinite Monkey Cage S18 "Invaders" which went on about ebola, lassa, and SARS, this last in a prescient sort of way considering, buddleia was in there some where too, along with himalayan balsam.

Veronica Mars S1 E9 "Drinking the Kool-aid". The cult one.

Tea: breaded haddock (or maybe it was cod). Not so overcooked this time. etc.

The Mentalist S2 E12 "Bleeding Heart". The one where Jane gets kidnapped by ecoterrorists.

Curse of the Ancients on Blaze with that Alice Roberts. I wonder which colour her hair will be this week. Sort of pinky blonde. All about the Romans. I fell asleep towards the end.

Ancient Murders Unearthed: the Idaho torso found in a cave. Turned out to be some Mormon chap murdered sometime around 1916, as was his wife. Identified by DNA which matched shedloads when compared with modern DNA samples. Good ep, more inneresting than last week's.

Cursed Treasures. Feck nose. Staffordshire hoard of gold. More total bollox from blaze making mountains out of molehills. It's always A Bad Sign when one of the s from the Ancient Aliens bollox turns up. <click>
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 April 2024, 08:35.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Thin cloud out, so thin that it might as well stop shilly-shallying and just be sunny. Mild too, being 10°C now and soaring to 18° by mid-afternoon; the barometers are up a touch more at 1015/1023mB

Friday!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    Blue skies and sunshine! What's going on?
    9.24km walked earlier.

TFIF, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X