• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB
    For those wondering just what DS23 is rambling on about it's this:

The Good Soldier Švejk.

The novel tells a story of the Czech veteran Josef Švejk and his adventures in the army. The story begins with news of the assassination in Sarajevo that precipitates World War I. Švejk is so enthusiastic about faithfully serving his country that no one can decide whether he is merely an imbecile or is craftily undermining the Austro-Hungarian Army's war effort. This idiocy/subversion has entered the Czech language in the form of words of švejkovina ("švejking"), švejkovat ("to švejk"), švejkárna (military absurdity), etc.

The story goes on to describe events taking place during the war's first year, as Švejk joins the army and has various adventures, first in rear areas, and then during a long anabasis to rejoin his unit on the front lines. The unfinished novel breaks off abruptly before Švejk has a chance to be involved in any combat or enter the trenches.
    Flippin 'eck. We have gone from b00bs to literature!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
      Godlike overnight
      I've never been called that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
        Anything good?
        Its called the Hostage

By Duncan Falconer, ex SBS

It seems ok, better than the Andy McNab books I think, once I've finsihed this one I've read all Duncans books. I've also read all Andys books, finished his newest one yesterday, only bought it on Monday!!
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

since communting to this gig in the past month I've read 6 books now!!!
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
            Its called the Hostage

By Duncan Falconer, ex SBS

It seems ok, better than the Andy McNab books I think, once I've finsihed this one I've read all Duncans books. I've also read all Andys books, finished his newest one yesterday, only bought it on Monday!!
            Sounds good. Like a bit of action.

Comment

Sounds good. Like a bit of action.

Well if you like I'll lend them to you. Your train trip must take about 45mins or so I'd guess.
              SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Well if you like I'll lend them to you. Your train trip must take about 45mins or so I'd guess.
                Cheers fella.

25-30mins so not too bad.

Comment

Cheers fella.

25-30mins so not too bad.
                  yea mines an hour now from London bridge or 45 mins from Waterloo. But I'm working 15 mins walk from london brdige and 30 mins from waterloo. So I get hte London Bridge train and have more reading time!!
                  SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

yea mines an hour now from London bridge or 45 mins from Waterloo. But I'm working 15 mins walk from london brdige and 30 mins from waterloo. So I get hte London Bridge train and have more reading time!!
                    You certainly are rattling through those books, mate!

I'm into Blackfriars at the mo, from where I have a little walk to the client's offices. Not bad at all.

Comment

You certainly are rattling through those books, mate!

I'm into Blackfriars at the mo, from where I have a little walk to the client's offices. Not bad at all.

yea I used to do the Blackfriers one, when I was at JPMorgan & Mellon bank. I'm about 5 mins walk from there now.
                      SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                      X