• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch, by the way, was Scotch broth with the usual bit of wholemeal

And now a bedding wash is on

Comment

A bit of pruning, followed by a lot of organising wood to be shredded etc. Raining off and on meant that I didn't get the shredder out, so that will be on tomorrow's list.
      Have just ordered 24 x 1l bottles to put the last of the cider in, and then I'm going to attempt a sourdough made with the lees.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tea has been chicken madras with rice and naan; very tasty

I burned the first naan due to unfamiliarity with the oven's grill functionality, which turns out to get very hot very quickly. But the oven hood extractor thing did its job so at least I didn't set the smoke alarm off

I finally got around to reading the fire instructions in the lobby earlier, and apparently we're supposed to do a Grenfell and remain in our flats, assuming the fire isn't in there with us. No cladding to worry about but, if the stairwell wasn't too smoky, I think I'd probably choose to pop out instead

And I just got a text saying my curtains have been dispatched, which is pretty good because they weren't due until the 25th

Comment

The car earlier was a Fiat X1/9, which seemed nice enough. And the gold diggers did their usual scratting about. Then the antiques chap was wholly ignored as mere filler before new opal hunters followed by sapphire hunters. They do a lot of looking for things in the more remote regions of Australia

UPS were supposed to be delivering a book which Amazon, for reasons known only to itself, has shipped to me from Ireland. But having proudly proclaimed that it would be with me some time this evening, they decided at about ten o'clock that it would be arriving tomorrow instead

And tomorrow also sees a delivery of yet more furniture from Ikea, but they're due in the afternoon so I don't have to be ready for them from seven in the morning onwards as I have on previous occasions

Goodnight all

Comment

Always nice when the problem you need to fix today is made way easier by a new software feature that appeared yesterday.

I now just need agreement from x people that we can do it the new way rather than the hackville approach we were going to use.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Morning all
              Due to the current weather conditions, no gardening or walking The DogTW for a couple of hours.
              Have a couple of inside jobs to do anyway. (Inside the house, not inside IR35)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Dull, wet, raining. Currently 7 degrees ('feels like' 4) with a high of 13 expected. Showers forecast off and on all day. Barometer up to 1012 mBar.

Tired this morning.

Comment

Ah, the sapphire hunters who are plagued by opal. . Are there areas of Australia that aren't remote? Good to see that the X1/9 welding was done with "MIG" when in fact he was using "TIG" but there you go.

Morning.

Tuesday.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Dire.

Horizontally Wet.

Windy.

Sunless.

Colder in here at 12.7 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 9 deg in the leanto.

1002.5 mBar, 29.6038 in Hg, 751.94 Torr, 14.54 psi, (down from 1011 last night) 72% RH (GDR hair), 66% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 10th of April 2019 NF was playing with something called "Inspec" and had decided he'd had enough of S1 of Bab5 so watched "Transcendence" instead, while I was less than impressed by the "physics" in "Armageddon", finding it difficult to suspend my disbelief. One or other of the two copies I possessed went to a charity emporium. The contents of the 2nd dvd of the 2 dvd collector's edition was even less impressive than the film itself.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a red corner yog, two slices of toast with marmalade, a slice of toast with bramble jelly, 0.91*1.57 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y waffling on about people's experiences of private health care, summed up by an elderly lady who'd discovered that after a lifetime of paying increasingly exorbitant premiums, it wasn't worth a when she actually needed it. Who'd have thunk?

Freecell score in the howling gale & horizontal drizzle: 92%, running average 85% (85.0789%).

Some minor potching in the front room office working space dumping ground. Little was achieved and little will be achieved until I grasp the concept of getting shot of some stuff.

Getting shot of some more books would be a start.

I was innerested (mildly) to find that the recently recharged NiCds in a frequency counter are now resembling pancakes again.

Tea: as meh as meh can be: battered haddock, pear halves, a yog, 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S16 E10 1999 BMW Z3 M Coupe: Bought $17k9, Total: $19237, Sold: $22k5. It required a lot of welding the diff mountings & replacement (or more correctly reinstatement) of the rear antiroll bar, viscous fan discarded, seat adjustment titivated, alloy wheels restored.

Innerestingly enough, today he really was MIG plug welding chunks of steel to locate the diff.

I prefer gas welding but it puts far too much heat into stuff. And it makes stuff catch fire really well.

Fred Dibnah's Age of Steam E3.

Fred Dibnah's Age of Steam E4.

FBI S2 E9 "Salvation". The mexican gang one. Didn't like that.

FBI S2 E10 "Ties that bind". The serial killer one.

The Repair Shoppe which I've probly watched before. Music box with multiple tunes. Penny arcade machine. Horse on wheels thing.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 January 2023, 23:43.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Gloomy grey day out there, and raining steadily. None of the resident wildlife is on the lawn, presumably hunkered down waiting for it to stop. It's currently 6°C but maybe reaching 12° later, and the barometers are up a bit at 992/1000mB

In other news, today looks like a day of deliveries: the Ikea stuff arrives this afternoon, the curtains are apparently Out For Delivery despite not being due until tomorrow, and I assume UPS will make another attempt at getting that book to me, though whether they succeed or once again give up before even getting this far remains to be seen

Comment

Morning.

Saw my first bus driver and passenger argument on the bus in my area for years. A woman decided to get on through the back of the bus doors and the bus driver threatened to not move the bus until she got off. She tried arguing she was getting on with a kid and the buses never stopped at her stop in rush hour. The bus driver pointed out he clearly wasn't a father. In the end because myself and some other people were getting off he relented and let her stay on. I've seen the women doing it before without her kid and as we have an open police station with police that do come out to transport disputes, I knew he would have carried out his threat. Though the women risked some angry teenagers trying to get to school pushing her off long before that.

And it's raining....
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X