• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The landlord has been and, eventually, gone. It seems the leak was from one of upstairs' pipes, but at the point where it comes down into my flat to join on to the communal waste pipe that's boxed in down the corner of the bathroom.

He spent some time fretting over having to remove a panel to get in there, until I suggested the panel at right angles to it would be easier to remove, which turned out to be correct. And he had to use my stepladder to get up there.

Then he decided to take the side panel off my bath, just for the sake of caution; fair enough, as there could always be two leaks. Looking underneath, I commented that there weren't as many spiders as I expected. He replied "To be honest, Nick, it's the least cluttered part of your entire flat"

Anyway, my stuff wasn't leaking so he got up the stepladder and (he hopes) sorted out the leak

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Looking underneath, I commented that there weren't as many spiders as I expected. He replied "To be honest, Nick, it's the least cluttered part of your entire flat"
      Is he aware that you were illegally subletting to a bunch of mice?

Just askin' like. .
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The scaffolders continue apace. When I go out to Portuguese class later, I'll see how much of the building they've managed to cover in two days.

Lunch was a fresh baked roll with ham and cheese.

Comment

Bacon cob for lunch

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Is he aware that you were illegally subletting to a bunch of mice?

Just askin' like. .
          Yes, he even got the gas man round to take the fire off the chimney breast so he could chuck some poison behind there. It didn't help

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Bacon cob for lunch

Yes, he even got the gas man round to take the fire off the chimney breast so he could chuck some poison behind there. It didn't help

Fortunately, or the stink of decaying mouse would have been with you for ages.

I found a desiccated one under the gas fire in the living room after the pilot light blew out.

Happily the pong of that one was long gone up the chimney by the time I found it.

The dead one in the mouse trap in the salting house did pong for a long while until I located the little sod.

The buggers were climbing up the cavity into the back bedroom & I found a nest in one of the drawers of the bed.

Which reminds me I ought to have a look today to make sure they've not returned, though the cavity is full of polystyrene balls just to make it that little bit more difficult.

The cat was always innerested in that corner of the bedroom and it wasn't until she'd gone to a better place (buried in the greenhouse coz the garden was frozen solid) that I realised what was chewing on the bottom of the door to one of the built in wardrobes.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green and red rings closed

The green ring closed about three-quarters of the way around, so it seems standing by the bathroom door and lending a claw hammer to somebody looks much the same as exercise to an Apple Watch

Comment

Tea has been a roast shoulder of lamb dinner, and exceedingly nice it was too

Accompanied by a bit of Traffic Cops as is traditional

Comment

Part 1 of my beginner's Portuguese is now done. We have a two week break before Part 2 commences, wherein we will learn how to refer to things in the future!

I feel I know no more than when I started but I'm still hopeful for the fabled penny to drop.

Dinner, if you can call it that, is a fish finger sandwich.

Comment

Headache.

TFBSZ
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Early evening viewing was the usual gubbins: cars, gold, antiques; though I didn't watch all of the antiques one as I switched to the cop show once tea was ready.

The car people are back in the UK after their Californian experiment and today dealt with a Rover V8; the old kind, not the 1980s ones that looked a bit like a silverfish (if they were silver, which many were).

And after tea, an episode of the new series of The Repair Shop featuring a remarkable automaton - well, several automata, really: a duck, chicken and sheep navigating a kind of airship, in honour of the animals that were first to ascend in the Montgolfier brothers' balloon

Early night now to make up for today's early rising and hectic bathroom-cleaning start to the day

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X