• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I stopped work at 5pm today

HWMBO asked if I'd moved to Finland when I mentioned how novel it was to stop work and it still be daylight outside.
    Yep Finland its weird for it to be daylight at 3am. Crawling out of a club in daylight is weird as well.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tea has been thick-cut ribeye steak with chips, fried onions and beans

I seem to have had this quite a lot lately so I was going to give it a rest. But when I saw this particular steak I couldn't resist it: huge thick wedge of fat running up inside it, and really prominent marbling also promising a lovely flavour. And so it proved.

All accompanied by the shortened The Repair Shop that's due to expire on Sunday

Comment

Making the most of my Disney+ subscription, tonight's major motion picture premiere was Cruella (2021).

Now, there's a young woman I follow on Twitter who's very clued up on Dodie Smith's book on which this film is based, and I think it was her that advanced the argument, when it first came out, that there's a fundamental problem with this film: it seeks to provide a backstory for Cruella de Ville, which is all well and good as a concept; but, she argued, it fell into the trap of doing so in a clichéd way, and thus weakened the premise of the character. [Minor spoiler alert] Suggesting, as this film does, that Cruella is the person she is because of some childhood trauma diminishes the character, who is depicted in The One Hundred and One Dalmatians as pure evil. And I agree; this really is a film that should not have been made if it was going to depict the origins of the character in such a way that we might feel sympathy for her (other than if we're the kind of person that sympathises with those who are pure evil, like Donald Trump does).

So yes, this film should probably not have been made, or not in this form.

But it was, and it does have that form, and… well, I thought it was really good fun actually

So I agree with her that this film is a travesty in the context of Dodie Smith's book, but I still like the film. And I also strongly agree with her (unrelated and expressed at other times) argument that Dodie Smith's sequel to The One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Starlight Barking, is the better book of the two, and that it's astonishing that nobody's made a film of it. Seriously, go read it: it's like a mashup of The One Hundred and One Dalmatians and Fred Hoyle's The Black Cloud. Incredible stuff

And then I rewatched Dunkirk (2017), being the one that doesn't have John Mills in it. Very good though and, harking back to the actual events, you have to admit that the whole Small Boats thing was pretty ******* amazing

Which reminds me: the BBC made an adaptation of Paul Gallico's The Snow Goose in the late 1970s. That was very good, but I don't think it's on iPlayer

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all looks like a lovely day out, just need my head to clear.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

CBS.

Cold in here at 13.3 deg.

1032 mBar, 30.475 in Hg, 774.1 Torr, 14.97 psi, (down from 1036 mBar last night), 73% RH.

Saturday judging by the output of the wireless.

Be prepared: Trust in the Lord & keep your powder dry:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/meet-prepp...114051511.html

Sorry. Gas masks are sold out.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done, dusted, washed, dried, and put away.

Mostly because I forgot to buy a red pepper yesterday & it's part of the recipe I found for chilli con carne.

Someone queue jumped in front of me but I didn't say anything and found another queue since I didn't wish to be termed a racist.

Lunch: lentil & ham soup, which seemed remarkably reluctant to leave the can, with Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, ham & mustard sandwich on same, red yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: whatever it is that's on R4 now, some random comedy thing or other.

Oh, apparently it's "The now show". .

And it was accompanied by a bramble jelly sandwich.

Some oik was waffling on about inflation at 5%, well mate, you ain't seen nothing yet. .

Back in 1975 it reached 26% IIRC.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the sunshine & cold wind.

Aunt's grave visited in the jungle of the churchyard, this being the only time of year I can find it, mostly due to the bounteous display of daffs thereon, without that it'd be almost impossible.
            Next batch of bol and chilli con carne cooked.

Tea: spag with fiery bol, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "What if Putin goes nuclear?" on 4+1. More joy.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 March 2022, 09:11.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Clear blue sky. Currently 8 degrees with a high of 13 expected. Barometer down a bit to 1037 mBar.

No plans for the day. I ought to at least leave the flat I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all

Clear blue sky. Currently 8 degrees with a high of 13 expected. Barometer down a bit to 1037 mBar.

No plans for the day. I ought to at least leave the flat I suppose.
                I left the house to get the paper. Should probably go and get some actual non processed food to eat though.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I did go outside.

Took some stuff to the charity shop, then a walk though Kensington Gardens then a very nice lunch.

Now back home and battling with the smoke detector which was beeping when I got in and doesn't seem to like the replacement battery. Seeing as a separate mains powered one was fitted a couple of years ago, I'm rather inclined to just take the battery out permanently if it doesn't start behaving.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny day out. Currently 14°C, barometer down but still high at 1027/1035mB

Comment

Had a sausage and bacon butty earlier. Very nice

However, Sainsbury's have stopped doing sesame bloomers; they only do "seeded" ones now, which have a tiny amount of sesame seeds and loads of poppy seeds

Comment

Working...
                      X