• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't in the mood for palaver tonight, opting instead for the simple pleasures of The Repair Shop. Notable items featured included a fine but rather old and battered ape, and the same early 1970s model of Kenwood Chef that was my mother's pride and joy back then

I don't think she still has it; she may have passed it down to my sister, who might still be using it.

The sore throat that started this morning didn't get any worse throughout the day. I assumed this was a good sign, and that the lurgy was failing to make inroads. But it got worse this evening instead

Ah well, I daresay it'll clear up in a day or two

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Grey.

Sunless.

Chilly at 16.6 deg in here (before I put the fan heater on).

1022 mBar, 30.18 in Hg, 766.56 Torr, 72% RH.

Thursday apparently, judging by the racket from the recycling engineers.

Walk (abbreviated) walked, though not as abbreviated as previously, I just didn't feel like going all the way down through the memorial gates, so chopped about half a mile off it.

Potching started prior to lunch with some SBR priming of a wall.

Lunch: Heinz lentil soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, a yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The afternoon's potching followed on from the priming with the mixing & application of tanking slurry.

Got paid for mowing next door's two lawns.

Tea: chill con carne with rice (very nice indeed), some sliced peaches, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Bing Crosby: I seem to know a lot of these songs.

They've mentioned Crosby Enterprises which developed audio & video tape machines back in the 50s.

Stone me, it's David Bowie in Bing's Xmas Special.

Joy of Painting: hopefully Bob rather than his son.

Managed to stay awake for this one. A Florida swamp.

Thing about Hornby toys.

Not sure I'll stay awake for this though.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 October 2021, 19:17.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
        Cool and misty out.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I wasn't in the mood for palaver tonight, opting instead for the simple pleasures of The Repair Shop. Notable items featured included a fine but rather old and battered ape, and the same early 1970s model of Kenwood Chef that was my mother's pride and joy back then

I don't think she still has it; she may have passed it down to my sister, who might still be using it.
          HWMBO has that model of stand mixer (if it's the episode I'm thinking of) and it's still going strong. It did throw itself off the worktop sometime last year, requiring some repairs from one of those handy little shops that fix all manner of things (much like I imagine DrS might do if he didn't have so much of his own stuff to tinker with).

Comment

Morning all

There was blue sky and wispy high level fluff. Apparently foggy but not round these parts. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 17 later. Sunshine and cloud all day, no rain. Barometer down to 1026 mBar.

Another busy day beckons. Database sync comparison and investigations plus comms work, for the most part.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
            Martin Luther King is awarded with the Nobel Peace Prize 1964

Comment

Morning denizens

A grey day out again, up to 12°C and heading for 16° later. No rain forecast (though that doesn't mean there won't be any) and barometers slightly down at 1016/1024mB

update: temperaturę is back down near normal, but it seems to start there and fluctuate upwards during the day. Throat still rather sore, but I've had worse; head still feeling a little fuzzy, verging on actual headache but not quite there

Comment

Strangelove Mater had a late 60s model of Kenwood Chef, latterly with a stainless steel bowl and a liquidiser thingie that regularly needed its bearings lubricated.

Chap across the road had an early 60s model of Kenwood Chef within which the speed control thingie stuck on full speed, which was inneresting.

I took it to bits & filed the pip & pit off the motor control contacts & lo! verily it worked properly again without decorating the entire kitchen with flour and lard.

Mater's Chef went in the house clearance since I have no innerest whatsoever in baking and Strangelove Soror didn't want it either.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 October 2021, 09:34.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Strangelove Mater had a late 60s model of Kenwood Chef, latterly with a stainless steel bowl and a liquidiser thingie that regularly needed its bearings lubricated.

Chap across the road had an early 60s model of Kenwood Chef within which the speed control thingie stuck on full speed, which was inneresting.

I took it to bits & filed the pip & pit off the motor control contacts & lo! verily it worked properly again without decorating the entire kitchen with flour and lard.

Mater's Chef went in the house clearance since I have no innerest whatsoever in baking and Strangelove Soror didn't want it either.
                  One major thing the repair chap found with the one on the telly was that the grease in the gearbox had almost solidified, which possibly explained why magic smoke had escaped when they last tried to operate it after it had been left unused for ten years or so

Turned out the smoke production hadn't caused any detectable damage to the motor, and once the gunk was removed and replaced with fresh grease, the gearbox was fine

Comment

HWMBO picked up doughnuts on his journey to my place yesterday so I had one with a coffee for elevensies.

Comment

Lunch has been Scotch broth with multiseed bread. The soup has matured nicely in the fridge for a couple of nights; five more now in the freezer

Throat's still a bit sore, and I'm still generally a bit out of sorts. I was thinking of going to Sainsbury's, but having fumbled and dropped the soup bowl in the sink while washing it (without damage, luckily) I now reckon it'd be better to wait until tomorrow when my coordination might be a bit better

Comment

Working...
                      X