• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Last night's telly was Traffic Cops, a fact which I failed to record in my unseemly haste to get to sleep

Another sunny start out, currently 12°C and heading for 22° by teatime; barometers back up slightly at 1016/1023mB

The rain starts some time tomorrow, it seems, and is then forecast to keep happening for a week or more. But they probably aren't thinking in terms of continuous light drizzle, more likely showers or storms
    Last edited by NickFitz; 15 June 2021, 07:02.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

They want us all back 3 days a week apparently. Strange there weren't enough parking spaces before we closed the other offices not sure where they are magicking the others from. The big problem is they haven't actually worked out what they lost due to lockdown or how to fix it.

Apparently new staff didn't meet the right people and informal discussions are not taking place in the cafeteria. I may be unreasonable but the first is down to their managers the second is a worry if you actually only run your business at the water cooler.
      A few weeks ago the product manager on our project was saying how much he missed working in the office and how WFH just wasn't as good for getting stuff done, with other managerial types generally agreeing. I noticed that none of the other developers, data scientists, designers, or generally people whose core work doesn't involve talking to other people about stuff much were piping up in agreement

Comment

Morning all

Dry and bright but cloudy. Currently 13 degrees with an expected high of 17 later. Showers expected this evening.

Did I miss anything yesterday? I went for a walk down the road to post a birthday card and ended up in A&E. Still feeling a bit fuzzy now from my 'seizure event' but am back at work until I decide I'm not well enough. Something about bilateral nystagmus and post ictal confusion and agitation that lasted 10-15 minutes. Hopefully it's a one off and not a late onset epilepsy.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
        Babe Ruth's baseball jersey becomes the most expensive sports memorabilia, selling for US$5.64 million at auction 2019

Comment

^^^

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

CBS.

20.2 deg in here.

1019 mBar, 30.09 in Hg, 68% RH.

Tuesday.

TV Times purchased from the post office.

Walk walked in the blazing sunshine.

Two more specimens of Early Purple Orchid spotted.

Once you get your eye in, they're everywhere.

As, unfortunately, are the flies.

Lunch: Heinz pea & ham soup, with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same x 2, the last of the yogs that were left out in the warm, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Bird feeders replenished.

Freecell score: 100%, running average 84% (83.93%).

Tea: Tesco breaded cod, some tinned pears, a corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Alec Guinness on Sky Arts.

Massive Engineering Mistakes on Quest: Tampa Bay bridge collapse or what happens when a ship hits a bridge pier: i.e. nothing good.

The bridge had been hit 13 times before it finally collapsed.

The new bridge is protected by dolphins.

West Berlin Congress Hall collapse: "The pregnant oyster"

Prestressed concrete roof failed.

Hydrogen embrittlement of high tensile steel.

With a bit of ordinary rust thrown in for good measure.

Copenhagen inner harbour bridge.

Folsom dam: radial gate failure: trunnion bearing corrosion.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 June 2021, 22:02.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Off into town for my hearing test shortly

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all

Dry and bright but cloudy. Currently 13 degrees with an expected high of 17 later. Showers expected this evening.

Did I miss anything yesterday? I went for a walk down the road to post a birthday card and ended up in A&E. Still feeling a bit fuzzy now from my 'seizure event' but am back at work until I decide I'm not well enough. Something about bilateral nystagmus and post ictal confusion and agitation that lasted 10-15 minutes. Hopefully it's a one off and not a late onset epilepsy.

Babe Ruth's baseball jersey becomes the most expensive sports memorabilia, selling for US$5.64 million at auction 2019

Hope you're OK

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Off into town for my hearing test shortly
                Pardon?

Comment

No hearing test, as it turned out I now have an earwax problem. She reckons the persistent feedback I've been getting from the right side hearing aid is not, as I had conjectured, to do with my ear canal changing shape slightly over the last three years, but just due to the wax turning it into a kind of echo chamber

So I'm going back next week to have the wax removed (which, rather than the old-school syringing, is done in a fancy high-tech way now, or so I gather) followed by a hearing test; but the conjecture is that my hearing aids might only need slight reprogramming to account for any changes to my actual hearing, if that

Oh, and due to walking there and back: green ring closed

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all

blimey hope you are ok!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Temperature 26.8 °C
                      Relative humidity 43%
                      Pressure 982 hPa

32°C forecast for tomorrow.

@LM I was flying with a colleague to Barcelona a few years ago, and he had a seizure on the plane. We weren't sitting together, but I could see the commotion further down the galley. I informed that aircrew that he's my colleague, so was able to give them his health information (nowt wrong with him at all, this has never happened and no, he's not drunk). The medics met us on landing, by which time he was conscious and coherent. In the end he just walked off the plane. Past all the people waiting to get on!

He was tested on return, and they couldn't find anything. He was banned from driving for a year though. It never recurred - so that's the good news. Sounds very much like what you had.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X