• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The whole anything in Arabia / Afghanistan seems to have been a total F up. Always willing to hear suggestions about how we could have done something different. I do think we tried to change it for the better.
    The Road to Hell is paved with good intent.

"We" had a century or more of experience of Afghanistan.

The only way "we" ever controlled any of it was by stuffing their mouths with gold.

Eyerack? Supporting a feckwhit who invaded a country because Saddam apparently tried to kill his dad?

Well the Septics wanted to be World Policemen having destroyed the British Empire.

We should have left the mofos get on with it.

The way Harold Wilson did with the Vietnam War.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Watched an old Timewatch episode about capital punishment and how the UK parliament vote to abolish was not the will of the people and would never have gotten through in the populist parliament of today. (Today in the programme's context being many years ago)

Then watched some random tat. Now on Season 3 of Trucking Hell. Good to see a road I've frequented (M23) and having a chuckle at Merrie from Lantern swearing.

Dinner was macaroni cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Then watched some random tat. Now on Season 3 of Trucking Hell. Good to see a road I've frequented (M23) and having a chuckle at Merrie from Lantern swearing.
        They get to swear a fair bit in the later ones. I suppose the producers realised it was more realistic

Comment

Tea has been chicken cacciatore (out of the freezer, made last month), with chips and peas. Very tasty

Comment

More Trucking Hell watched

Early night now as it's Monday all over again tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Temperature 1.9 °C
              Relative humidity 91%
              Pressure 982 hPa
              Sunny.

Four new plants arrive today for our front garden, so little physical labour this evening.
              • Japanese Snowball Viburnum 'Kilimandjaro Sunrise' - pink white
              • Japanischer Ahorn Acer 'Extravaganza' - red
              • Rhododendron 'Wine & Roses' - pink
              • Kamelie Camellia japonica 'Nuccio’s Gem' - white
              Tonight will be roast lamb.

Dreamed last night of writing the application I'm current creating for a SAP system (so written in ABAP). In the dream, I was writing it in REXX, which I last touched back in 1994.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Morning denizens

Had a pretty decent night's sleep I reckon. I initially awoke at ten past six, so did the sensible thing and went back to sleep

Sunny out, with a few remaining traces of frost dispersing from the lean-to roof as the temperature rapidly picks up: from 2°C to 4° in the past thirty minutes or so, heading for a new high of 16° this afternoon; 1012/1020mB

Comment

Morning all

Another beautiful blue sky morning. I almost went out for a walk! Currently 8 degree and the forecast high is 16. A bit of cloud will come over the afternoon which, if it is like yesterday's, will look like someone's dabbed blobs of cotton wool about. Barometer down to 1022 mBar. The rain forecast for Wednesday has gone away.

Slept well enough. Was awake well before my alarm but I didn't check the time. Instead I just listened to the birds tweeting and dozed off again.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                  Film actress Grace Kelly marries Prince Rainier III of Monaco 1956

Comment

And excitement of the day is the Ingenuity space craft doing its first flight on Mars! The live stream starts in two hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1KolyCqICI

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Blue white sky.

Colder at 15.6 deg in here.

1020.5 mBar, 30.14 in Hg, 52% RH.

Monday.

Telex machiine glowing augmented by much sneezing.

Wireless burbling on about the Aztecs & Incas conquering Europe in the 15th century instead of it being the other way around.

I didn't bother with the PO thing since it's a repeat of a repeat and it would only get me oiling the AK again.

<hiatus>

Walk walked in the glorious sunshine and not so glorious pollen.

Sneezing has commenced.

<hiatus>

Lunch: an antihistamine (one a day, different one from the first this morning), poached tomato and scrambed egg on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast, 2x bramble jelly sandwiches on same, corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Happily enough, the sneezing has passed, and the itching of the eyes is much reduced.

Afternoon entertainment (well I'm not going back out there with all that pollen about): Bits of Engineering Disasters, followed by Engineering Mistakes.

One mistake was building a building somewhere that had previously had a sinkhole.

Which generated a really really big feck off sink hole as a result.

Or paving a pedestrian bridge with glass so slippery that one had a 50% chance of going ass over tit when it rained.

Followed by S1 E1 of Trucking Hell wherein Rory shows his skill at recovery by lifting & turning over a Renault Clio all in one action.

The trauma therein was caused by The Beast from the East of immortal memory.

I didn't notice him driving through Leicester though.

Tea: the last of the roast chicken, bacon & sausage with carrots & onions, the last of the sliced peaches, a yog, and 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Had I realised it was on, I'd have watched the thing about Lee Marvin on Sky Arts, which I'll now watch tomorrow at 14:00 if I remember.

The commentary on "Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)" which was inneresting enough in its way though the French director could have done with subtitles.

NCIS S16 E13: "She" wherein She Who Must Not Be Mentioned is mentioned, though we don't get to see her other than in a reflected image.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 April 2021, 21:44.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X