• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to report that the bedroom window didn't get closed last night but I did close the curtains, which are quite thick and heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

It's badly screwed at the moment for Reasons, but admin and I are addressing said Reasons and will have it back up and running again in a day or two.

It has been completely rewritten by vBulletin though. No idea if it's worse or better than the old one, but it works in a completely different way under the hood. There's one thing it used to do that it doesn't any more (indexing parts of URLs in links), so I'm already working out how to add that back in, as I use that a lot to find out when I or somebody else watched a film by searching for the "tt123456" bit from IMDb URLs

Once it's working again, let me know if there's anything in particular it seems not to be doing any more and I'll see if I can sort it out
      It must be said that the interface is incomprehensible whatever they might have done to the code.

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Cold at 16.2 deg in here.

1028 mBar, inHg, 54% RH.

Tuesday apparently.

Woke Awakened, unbidden, at the unearthly hour of 05:34, read "The Angry Island" for an hour or so, then went back to sleep.

It's the Second Sleep thing without the global catastrophe.

Oh.

Wait a minute.

<hiatus>

TV Times purchased from the post office, during which I was referred to by an elderly lady customer as "the boy with the magazine".

Quite made my day.

Walk walked.

Another day of sunshine, &, unlike yesterday, a lazy wind that blows right through you, by the fell of it, directly from Siberia.

Very little get up & go this morning, much like the walks yesterday & Sunday.

Am particularly pleased with the new board software preventing me from seeing anything whatsoever posted or any new threads started by the Russian oligarch.

Of which, having had a gander at General whilst logged out, there seem to be rather a lot.

All invisible.

Lunch: the remains of that stew thing I concocted last week in with a tin of vegetable soup (Heinz, never my favourite) plus some Morrisons wholemeal sunflower & spelt bread, blackcurrant jam sandwich on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

I was rather surprised at how good the soup combination was.

<hiatus>

It was remarkably efficent at inducing flatulence too, almost lentil soup like in its efficacy.

Freecell score: 80% though I did manage to get it as high as 84% at one stage.

Tea: Tesco breaded haddock, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: endless losing at Freecell.

The last 30 minutes of Traffic Cops.

The last 30 minutes of David Harewood's thing about Covid.

Disaster Engineered: Hurricane Katrina and the Tacoma Narrows bridge*.

*The dog it was that died. In the dimwit's car.

Vortex shedding.

https://medium.com/curiosityftw/bust...e-467f830f9cc8

Gosh.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 March 2021, 23:04.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning

Grey day

It was cold and sunny earlier which but the clouds should mean the temperature rises to 12 degrees.

I'm impressed what people in my area do for their exercise. I saw a family well two adults and a child of about 11 out for their "daily exercise". The two adults were running and the kid was cycling. The adults were trying to keep up with the kid who was cycling stretches at different speeds.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day again; 5°C with 8° forecast later, 1021/1029mB

Sainsbury's delivery is predicted to arrive between 16:41 and 17:41, an estimate which somehow achieves a nice balance of precision and vagueness

Comment

Morning all!

Day 2 being back at work after three weeks off with Covid.

Yesterday was a whole two hours long: I actually dropped to sleep in the last few minutes of a team conf call and I needed to lie down afterwards. Nowhere near a full day just yet: post viral fatigue is a real thing. It feels an awful lot like when I had mumps years ago, when it took the best part of a month to be up and about again.

Comment

On the house front, it looks a lot like we'll need to rewire all of the lighting circuits. The kitchen light fitting died the other day - tbf it was pretty (60s? 70s?) ancient. Our tame electrician came to have a look and found it wired in with doorbell wire, which ran back to some nice 1960s wiring where the insulation is starting to degrade. Thankfully the socket wiring is mostly OK - they've been worked on or replaced within the past 10 years by us or the previous occupant.

Now walking round the house making a list of the various little jobs we might as well throw in if we're going to the inconvenience of having someone in anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                Morning all!

Day 2 being back at work after three weeks off with Covid.

Yesterday was a whole two hours long: I actually dropped to sleep in the last few minutes of a team conf call and I needed to lie down afterwards. Nowhere near a full day just yet: post viral fatigue is a real thing. It feels an awful lot like when I had mumps years ago, when it took the best part of a month to be up and about again.
                That's a bit of a bugger Hope you're back to whatever constitutes "normal" for you soon <- manly

Comment

Fish finger bap (wholemeal, red sauce) for lunch

Comment

On the house front, it looks a lot like we'll need to rewire all of the lighting circuits. The kitchen light fitting died the other day - tbf it was pretty (60s? 70s?) ancient. Our tame electrician came to have a look and found it wired in with doorbell wire, which ran back to some nice 1960s wiring where the insulation is starting to degrade. Thankfully the socket wiring is mostly OK - they've been worked on or replaced within the past 10 years by us or the previous occupant.

Now walking round the house making a list of the various little jobs we might as well throw in if we're going to the inconvenience of having someone in anyway.
                    Ah, bell wire, the potcher's favourite.

The loft light in this house is wired up with something not altogether dissimilar.

I'd forgotten it was tied around one of the rafters, and amazingly enough, they didn't put a nail through it when the roof was replaced.

A lifetime ago I was fixing a telly in a house in Neath, and having switched off at the mains, discovered that the telly was still live, the neutral being switched in the socket, which is rather novel.

It was installed by a proper electrician Mister, honest
                    Yeah.

Right.

That explains the bellwire format of the twin & earth then does it?

£1.99 a metre, feck me, is it made of gold or something?

A metre of 6mm SWA is cheaper than that.

https://www.lampspares.co.uk/2-core-...SABEgKA6_D_BwE

Er, it isn't, but it's only about £1.25/metre more expensive.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...CABEgJ9BfD_BwE
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 March 2021, 13:23.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Work out where you want (and are missing) sockets. You can't do that work yourself nowadays and given that you are likely to have to redecorate after this work you may as well make the most of it.

Also check the consumer unit in case it's an ancient one. It's a stupid trick but a modern consumer unit says decent electrics while an old one screams expensive rewire.

Although I suspect that job has already been done noting the original problem.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X